PGA Tour and no fly zones! [emoji35]

Reaction score
I literally live 3 blocks from the PGA tour going on here in MN and I'm pissed that they extended their no/fly zone to a 15 mile radius.
I've tried to fly my P3P today and it won't catch any satellites.

WTH?!?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Really? You're talking about the Ryder Cup, right? Just yesterday I was shooting some video of the flooded Minnesota River near downtown Carver with my P3A and I received no such warning. I know that's much less than 15 miles from Hazeltine.

I did read about the no fly zone announced around the event though. The city of Chaska also enacted a new ordinance for drones too.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Really? You're talking about the Ryder Cup, right? Just yesterday I was shooting some video of the flooded Minnesota River near downtown Carver with my P3A and I received no such warning. I know that's much less than 15 miles from Hazeltine.

I did read about the no fly zone announced around the event though. The city of Chaska also enacted a new ordinance for drones too.

Zoom out of ur map and look at the large green circle.
I'll be posting a pic soon.

I literally live 3 blocks from the PGA tour going on here in MN and I'm pissed that they extended their no/fly zone to a 15 mile radius.
I've tried to fly my P3P today and it won't catch any satellites.

WTH?!?!?!

If you're only 3 blocks away why does the 15NM upset you? I'd say you're probably within 1NM easily.

On the topic 15NM isn't unusual for a large sporting event and it could go up further if there is a threat or a VIP is attending the event.

I could be wrong (I've not flown in a TFR situation) but I don't think it affects the satellites but simply won't arm the motors. I've not tried this so I could be wrong.

If you're only 3 blocks away why does the 15NM upset you? I'd say you're probably within 1NM easily.

On the topic 15NM isn't unusual for a large sporting event and it could go up further if there is a threat or a VIP is attending the event.

I could be wrong (I've not flown in a TFR situation) but I don't think it affects the satellites but simply won't arm the motors. I've not tried this so I could be wrong.

I'm LITERALLY going to fly RIGHT NOW.
I'll even trying posting a screen shot of what I'm taking about.
(1 or so miles from the tour site)

Last edited:
2708dfcd72b42f46880cde4ec0b95c73.jpg

So it turns out a local pilot thought he'd be creative and land his seaplane on the lake next to the course that the Ryder Cup was being played on. The article states that the FAA did not put a TFR in place for the event. However the City of Chaska made the lake and immediate area around the course a no fly zone via a city ordinance. The local chief of police called him imbecilic and it will be interesting to see what happens to him.

4 cited for being on lake during Ryder Cup, but was restriction amply publicized?

So it turns out a local pilot thought he'd be creative and land his seaplane on the lake next to the course that the Ryder Cup was being played on. The article states that the FAA did not put a TFR in place for the event. However the City of Chaska made the lake and immediate area around the course a no fly zone via a city ordinance. The local chief of police called him imbecilic and it will be interesting to see what happens to him.

4 cited for being on lake during Ryder Cup, but was restriction amply publicized?

How can the city make this a no fly zone with out contacting the FAA?

I'd bet the FAA would spank them for trying to "control airspace". They can write land use ordinances that could stop this but they have to write it THAT way or it is probably useless.

I'd like to hear how this is now after the fact and what has happened since that time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers