Pesticide spraying at 250 feet

Reaction score
I noticed a scheduled Gypsy moth pesticide spraying mission in the local news. The areas to be sprayed are fairly large in an a generally populated area. I notice the spraying plane will run this mission at 250 feet of altitude at a speed of about 160 mph.. I'm curious as to what notification / warning will have to be issued to UAV hobby pilots. This is all developing and it just underscores how complicated it may become to share the airspace above us.
plane.jpg

none would be the answer

I have been wondering the same thing in regards to crop dusters. The field I fly from gets them now and then. But I have absolutely no way of knowing when or if he will be coming.

just keep your eyes to the sky

I have been wondering the same thing in regards to crop dusters. The field I fly from gets them now and then. But I have absolutely no way of knowing when or if he will be coming.
We just have to keep an eye and ear out for them. It's "our" responsibility to get out of their way. They always have the right-of-way. Please fly safe, and have fun!

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm just wondering but do Cropdusters file/create NOTAMS? That's where you should always check before you fly.

160 seems very fast for aerial spraying. Had my property blasted for aphids as the surrounding land was in soybeans. Bye, Bye skeeters. Lots of ag spraying in my area and even a turbine powered plane won't go much over 120. I get buzzed weekly as I am between a big ag operator and a large repair center.

Reactions: Royr1957
I don't understand why the UAV community in general feels that we are owed some kind of explanation/ notification from other aircraft flying below 400 feet. If you are in the US, the airspace above us is part of the National Airspace System and is meant for "manned" aircraft. They can fly within the limits of VFR/IFR rules and it is our responsibility to maintain clear and operate so as to not cause any disruption to real aircraft.

Even in real VFR flights, the ATC controllers and/or ARTCC don't owe any notifications to VFR pilots, unless the VFR pilot request Flight Following and ATC can accommodate this request without disruption to their IFR flights. Even then, it is the VFR pilot's responsibility to see and avoid.

If this is so for a VFR pilot, why do you feel as a UAV operator that anyone owes us any prior notification for the use of the airspace above us?

Reactions: BigAl07 and flpholt

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik