Perfect flight then start second out of control. HELP

Reaction score
Hey everyone, don't know what I'm doing on this site . I'm new .but need some help, advice. I just bought a phantom 2 vision plue v3.0 2 weeks ago.I have used up 6 batteries worth of flying. I am loving it wish I had more time. But.yesterday and again today the phantom operated in an hectic manner. Good thing it was on the ground when it happened. Both times started with a pre-flight check. It had 11 satellites and full battery on everything. It flew for about 8 to 10 minutes with no problems and came back with a smooth landing. I wanted it to go back in the air and i started throttling and it immediately tiped on its side and took off skiding sideways. As soon as it tipped I tried to cut power by putting the throttle in locked down possion. This did nothing, it continued to skid across the ground until it hit something or I grabbed it. The motors ran for a few more seconds and then turned off. I set it back up and it took off with no problems. This makes me vary wary of flying again. If this happens in the sky it would be a crash or flyaway for sure. What should i do? Please help...

k.tav said:
Hey everyone, don't know what I'm doing on this site . I'm new .but need some help, advice. I just bought a phantom 2 vision plue v3.0 2 weeks ago.I have used up 6 batteries worth of flying. I am loving it wish I had more time. But.yesterday and again today the phantom operated in an hectic manner. Good thing it was on the ground when it happened. Both times started with a pre-flight check. It had 11 satellites and full battery on everything. It flew for about 8 to 10 minutes with no problems and came back with a smooth landing. I wanted it to go back in the air and i started throttling and it immediately tiped on its side and took off skiding sideways. As soon as it tipped I tried to cut power by putting the throttle in locked down possion. This did nothing, it continued to skid across the ground until it hit something or I grabbed it. The motors ran for a few more seconds and then turned off. I set it back up and it took off with no problems. This makes me vary wary of flying again. If this happens in the sky it would be a crash or flyaway for sure. What should i do? Please help...
I fly a non-vision, but here's my .02.
skidding sideways - where you trying to take off gently? Don't do that. Take off aggressively. I take off with full throttle for about a second, then hover before resuming the flight.
When I land I hold the sticks in the CSC position to shut down the motors. I know the manual says to just hold the throttle down for a few seconds, but if you bump the throttle slightly the aircraft may take off again. Others may disagree but this is how I land.

I will make sure I do that next time. Me biggest thing is why did it not power down and cut motors off . It maybe ran for 10 seconds after I clicked the throttle down..

First, Welcome to the Forum! You didn't know why you are here, but I can. I feel that we are more of a family here. You are now a part of it!

The best I can gather, your problem occurs when landing, then wishing to take off again. Several questions for you: Why do you land and then take off again? Many of us catch the Phantom instead of letting it land. What surface are you landing on? I bought a Helicopter landing pad, aluminum, with whatever you wish to have printed.

Landing in full size planes and UAVs is more difficult than take offs. You first need a good landing surface. Look on EBay for drone landing pads. What positions are your left and right sticks are in? If either is a bit off of being in a vertical line, you can have problems.

Another things is, on a lot of Quads, if you slowly raise the left stick, you might encounter problems. I suggest raising your left stick more aggressively. I've flown other quads and I got caught up in the quad trying to fly to one side. Wanting to fix it, I never found the solution, until I just said the heck with it and gave it quick throttle. Then, it lifted straight up!

So, you might be experiencing the same problem, since once up, you don't experience problems. I hope it helps! :)

EDIT: Steve's comment wasn't there when I wrote my suggestions! Amazingly, we both agreed! :)

I do know why I'm here and it for you experience.
I am landing and taking off because I'm new just to practice. I landing on a clean asphalt driveway. Maybe it was my bad. I will take your suggestions and keep flying and pay attention to what is happening and where sticks are. I don't think it was that but it could have been. . Thanks

k.tav said:
I do know why I'm here and it for you experience.
I am landing and taking off because I'm new just to practice. I landing on a clean asphalt driveway. Maybe it was my bad. I will take your suggestions and keep flying and pay attention to what is happening and where sticks are. I don't think it was that but it could have been. . Thanks

I hope that I didn't come off as being critical, because that was not what I intended! :) Plus, there is really nothing wrong with touch and gos, if you find it to be fun. You had posted that you didn't know why you were here. So, I was giving you a reason to stay!

My main point was to give it more juice than doing it slow. I tend to write too much and my point gets lost! I'm working on it!

k.tav said:
I wanted it to go back in the air and i started throttling and it immediately tipped on its side and took off skiding sideways. As soon as it tipped I tried to cut power by putting the throttle in locked down position. This did nothing, it continued to skid across the ground until it hit something or I grabbed it. The motors ran for a few more seconds and then turned off.What should i do? Please help...
You've already learned to be more aggressive on takeoff - get that bird out of the disturbed air and ground effect an up 6ft or more and then let it hover for a check that everything's right.
The reason it wouldn't shut down is that the left stick down works when the Phantom's gyro sensors detect that the bird has stopped moving. In a situation like yours, the thing to do is to CSC (both sticks down and in) just like you do to start.
That's the emergency stop move.

Hey. Phantom fanatic no not at all I appreciate it. I was just trying to finish my opening sentence. I didn't make that clear. I was just saying I didn't know the proper way to ask my question or if I was I the right place. Again no problem.

Thanks Meta4 didn't know that. I feel a lot better now that there was a reason behind the motors not cutting off. I was thinking it was in the phantom or the transmitter.

k.tav said:

Does this describe what you did, land and takeoff without shutdown?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33457&hilit=tip+over#p308114

quote="Hughie"]
Andrey320 said:
So I guess I'm not the only one this has happened to....

Warning: leaving the motors running after landing or trying to take off again landing (without shutting down / restarting) may cause a tip-over or crash.

I think the second time for sure. I landed did not cut motors just idle for maybe 10 seconds than started to lift off. It didn't even get off the ground just tiped and skided across the ground. I thought it was like only 2 motors on one side were on. But can't say. I was trying to grab it.

I think the general belief is once you land, cut motors off prior to retake off.

tip overs seem to result and or auto takeoff unexpectedly.

this is covered more in link earlier

k.tav said:
Hey. Phantom fanatic no not at all I appreciate it. I was just trying to finish my opening sentence. I didn't make that clear. I was just saying I didn't know the proper way to ask my question or if I was I the right place. Again no problem.

And, absolutely no problem here either! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.