Percepto - enabling drones amazing new features

Reaction score
Hi

I am a co-founder in a really cool startup called Percepto. I thought you might find it interesting since we have developed a drone add-on that enables drones to see and understand the environment using computer vision. The add-on of course is compatible with DJI Phantom.

Computer vision is the technology that enables computers to comprehend and understand their environment using video similar to the way we use our eyesight. It is used by many industries from self-driving cars to Facebook face recognition software.

Just imagine what drones will do for us when they will be able to see!!! First of all they could spot and avoid all those obstacles that are in their way. Also, drones will see what they are filming and will create a more professional footage for us. They could find things for us looking from the sky like spotting our dog in the yard, find a free parking spot or even locate where whales are swimming when we go sailing in the sea. These examples are just the tip of the iceberg, we didn’t mentioned augmented reality features, mapping, indoor navigation and many more breakthrough features. We hope that with Percepto drones will take a big step towards filling their huge potential.

Percepto is open sourced, which mean it will keep updating with new apps that we create, as well as apps created by our community developers. Our filming app will give amazing new features like letting you fly your drone around while taking care of the footage for you, perform built in shots that only professionals were able to make. The possibilities are truly endless.

If you are interested check out Percepto for more details, and make your phantom even more amazing than it is today.

Thoughts & ideas are always welcomed.

Raviv Raz
Percepto

Attachments

• Logo.jpg
    Logo.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,166
  • phantom percepto.42.jpg
    phantom percepto.42.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,223
Sounds like something that would be good for the Drone community, however I also feel that its one step closer to Skynet :shock: :lol: either way ive subscribed.

Subscribed!

I subscribed.
You mention a smart phone app. Will there be a iOS version?
FYI I was unable to subscribe with the Safari browser. Clicking on button did nothing.
Had to use Firefox.

Thanks!!!
we will have an iOS version.
and we have an anti-skynet firewall built in.....
cdusher - we will take care of that.

Pardon me for being a bit sceptical, but all I see here is a bunch of hype, a web page that is very vague, with no time line. Do you really have anything close to market , or are you just hyping a concept?

ravivraz said:
Hi

I am a co-founder in a really cool startup called Percepto. I thought you might find it interesting since we have developed a drone add-on that enables drones to see and understand the environment using computer vision. The add-on of course is compatible with DJI Phantom.

Computer vision is the technology that enables computers to comprehend and understand their environment using video similar to the way we use our eyesight. It is used by many industries from self-driving cars to Facebook face recognition software.

Just imagine what drones will do for us when they will be able to see!!! First of all they could spot and avoid all those obstacles that are in their way. Also, drones will see what they are filming and will create a more professional footage for us. They could find things for us looking from the sky like spotting our dog in the yard, find a free parking spot or even locate where whales are swimming when we go sailing in the sea. These examples are just the tip of the iceberg, we didn’t mentioned augmented reality features, mapping, indoor navigation and many more breakthrough features. We hope that with Percepto drones will take a big step towards filling their huge potential.

Percepto is open sourced, which mean it will keep updating with new apps that we create, as well as apps created by our community developers. Our filming app will give amazing new features like letting you fly your drone around while taking care of the footage for you, perform built in shots that only professionals were able to make. The possibilities are truly endless.

If you are interested check out http://www.percepto.co for more details, and make your phantom even more amazing than it is today.

Thoughts & ideas are always welcomed.

Raviv Raz
Percepto

Great idea, but you better hurry. This idea is almost a reality and it is being marketed as coming out within months. Don't ask me where I read it! Have you put this on the web? Maybe it was from you!

Edit: I looked at your site and it wasn't you that I read about. This was about a drone coming out within months. But, an add on device would do well.

Thanks for the questions.

All the technical and physical data will be out soon, via our website and our facebook. I promise to post once publishable materials are ready.

Personally i think every technological advancement is good for the industry and for dorne users, and a drone with computer vision abilities built in will be great for all.
We have no intention in making a drone or a flight controller for that matter, there are companies like DJI and others that are making amazing ones ....

Our core technology is computer vision and we want as many drone users and developers to use Percepto. That is why it's an Add on and that is why it's open source.

Keep following ;)

PhantomFanatic said:
Great idea, but you better hurry. This idea is almost a reality and it is being marketed as coming out within months. Don't ask me where I read it! Have you put this on the web? Maybe it was from you!

Edit: I looked at your site and it wasn't you that I read about. This was about a drone coming out within months. But, an add on device would do well.
After a quick search, it does seem computer vision technology is the next big technology idea coming down the road. Google has been working on it for over a year now, with a project called Tango. A couple of google x employees working there, left and started their own company called Skydio and they already have a working prototype of a drone with sense and avoid technology, interesting to watch: http://skyd.io Just google computer vision and you can find half a dozen companies at various stages of working on it.

Thing that concerns me about this Percepto is coming on here and also on RCGroups with this concept idea, a web page that is full of general statements as to what this concept is about and what many others are already working on, no details, no prototypes, no time line,no indication they have financial backing to start up a company like this(i.e. sponsors, kickstarter program, etc), very weak on details and they want people go give them their email address. Again perhaps I am being too cynical but sure seems a bit weird to me, trying to develop a following with such little details. They seemed to have ticked all the boxes around the concept, but so far, I am not seeing much else. Others, appear to be further along. I will wait for better info before I sign up.

It is very difficult to find any info on you 3 guys and your startup company other than it appears you are in Israel. It does appear however, that all 3 of you have excellent training and experience to pull off this kind of startup. Lots of still unanswered questions between the concept you are hyping at this point and you finding a solution.

Yes, I am aware you are using things like PPM encoders, MAVLink protocols and 12C Sensors and are developing or have developed(?) and API. But one question I have, it appears you are dumping the hardest part, i.e. the computer programming development to pull together all the data from your hardware and writing the programs needed to make it do anything, to outside open source developers. At least I hope you have someone there that can develop enough starter programs to show the capabilities.

Also I am still trying to understand your marketing approach, hyping all the drone forums, DIY Drones, RCGroups, PhantomPilots, etc. at this stage. It appears some of you do have startup experience, so I do not need to tell you the importance of ample funding to get this off the ground. But it seems the hyping should be geared more toward investor, not a bunch of amateur enthusiast unless you are hoping to find in that crowd, some open source programmers willing to buy into it.

(I probably should not be so critical, because I understand Raviv, you have a first degree Black Belt, but I trust I am safe for now living in Montreal and you in Israel) :roll:

And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, you have some stiff competition, which I am sure you are aware. I see incredible potential in computer vision and It will be interesting to see, who can come to market first with this concept. I do wish you all the best, and "I will be watching you, soup people"(this quote probably does not have meaning to you, but it is all over a national soup campaign on TV here ). ;)

Thank you for your interest Khudson7.
We are preparing our crowdfunding campaign, on which we will reveal what we already developed, as well as what we are still missing. We’ll also release a detailed product specification, a thorough explanation and demo videos of the computer vision applications we have already developed.
As you understood correctly, at this stage we are gathering emails of people who might be interested in Percepto and wish to be updated when we launch our campaign.
Again thanks for your interest and insights.

ravivraz said:
Thank you for your interest Khudson7.
We are preparing our crowdfunding campaign, on which we will reveal what we already developed, as well as what we are still missing. We’ll also release a detailed product specification, a thorough explanation and demo videos of the computer vision applications we have already developed.
As you understood correctly, at this stage we are gathering emails of people who might be interested in Percepto and wish to be updated when we launch our campaign.
Again thanks for your interest and insights.
Thanks for your response...exciting things are happening in "computer vision". Wishing you all the success...I have subscribed to your website.

Sneak peek

Attachments

• IMG_2270.JPG
    IMG_2270.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 396
  • 1513752_753954881362830_5075154423617987987_n.jpg
    1513752_753954881362830_5075154423617987987_n.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 384

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads