People who say RTFM

Unless you got your P3 on the first week it was released, just about any question a noob can come up with, is either in the manual, on youtube, or on various forums. All it takes is a little work to find the answer to 90% of most problems. The problem is that some people are just not mechanical inclined. They buy a P3, assume its idiot proof, read half the quick start guide, then blame DJI because they crashed. Some of these people you just can't help. They will either learn the hard way by spending a bunch of money, or move on to something else. Some people can't figure something out even if they read the manual, but if some one explains it, or shows them, they get it. I'm guessing most people are like that. What we don't like around here, and most forums, is the guy with the, why should I read the manual when I can just ask a question on a forum mentality.

Reactions: N017RW
some questions asked show ignorance of the person. Like "tell me what are the yellow and red blinking lights"...

if that poster RTFM, they would have never posted the ques. Those type of Q's deserve RTFM reply!

If you don't like the question, don't reply. Leave it for someone who feels helpful and who isn't so quick to judge.

People have different learning styles. Telling someone who is dyslexic to RTFM only adds to their burden.

Reactions: jcknows0
I love manual :) . When rainy day I read the manual and dream flying with air RC...

However, IMHO there're some reasons that cause RTFM:
A. simple question ("what's the meaning of LED blinking xxx?") - manual describes clearly, but users hate to read.
B. described, but too hard to find it ("how to enter into compass calib mode")/simple description in deep level in the manual ("P3 autolands when touches to limit of airport, but can take override except throttle")/described in other section (some camera setting was in gimbal/MC section),
C1. kind of a common sense, or common sense to veteran R/C flyers or P3 pilots, and DJI thinks they don't have to write in the manual ("what's GPS?" "where the map image comes from?") - this kind of things are not so many, I think. DJI even explains "how the throttle works?"
C2. legal, location or culture dependent and DJI cannot write in manual ("in XXX country, fly over xxx feet is illegal"),
C3. things DJI want to hide in black box and hide from users ("where's the full flight log"),
C4. DJI forgets to describe ("RTH doesn't activate within xxx ft from home point" "there's no zebra in Android app"),
C5. as other Android/iPhone app., DJI thinks users should find it intuitionally (even there's no menu tree of DJI app in the manual) - I think it's not a game, DJI must write full description in paper/PDF manual.

In case A. + B.., not a simple "RTFM!!" but "read xxx page" will help the questioner to have habit to read the manual afterwards.
About case C., it's the value of BBS or Wiki. Veteran or experienced/failed user should help novice/who haven't experienced.
And manual is manual, tutorial is tutorial, real stories have value of gold. Even me, this manual lover, I scarcely use RTH so I know how it works in knowledge (and sometimes try), but reading experience of success/failure has strong impression, and I think I can apply to my case in future.

edit - P.S. The conventional R/C toys are not so complex system, but tuneup/operation/moral, experts had been teachers of novices (in my country, local R/C shops and R/C aerial club did the role). But Phantom is flying computer, also people comes from out of R/C culture (photographer, etc.) The role of BBS and Wiki becomes more important...

Last edited:
Reactions: jcknows0
............ I scarcely use RTH so I know how it works in knowledge (and sometimes try), but reading experience of success/failure has strong impression, and I think I can apply to my case in future.
But you have used it and understand how it works? That's very important so that you know what to expect when you do finally have to use it.

But you have used it and understand how it works? That's very important so that you know what to expect when you do finally have to use it.
Oh what I want to say is, not "I read the manual," but if there's no "what's RTH?" "how RTH works?" question here, I wouldn't have interested in RTH, nor read the manual nor tested RTH. I rather thank to repeating (tiring :) ) RTFM questions, also people's success/failure story here.

Reactions: snerd
The quick start guide and user manual is wrong when it comes to turning the motors off after landing. Says to do a CSC but we know that will cause the P3 to flip.
Thankfully I learned with my P2 the best thing to do is throttle down until the motors stop. As for the manual, I'm pretty sure going through the app is far more useful in the field beyond simple control and configuration. Given how many Menus are in the app this could take a whole battery to dig through (especially advanced camera settings). I find the attitude on this forum from some members has grown far more abrasive in the past few months compared to when I first joined late last year. I understand some of the reposts are frustrating, but I was so glad to finally get my gimbal reset to work despite how many pages and youtube videos referenced and demonstrated it. I am grateful to those on this forum who took the time to respond over and over to all the other people suffering the same fate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers