People passing comment!

Reaction score
Usually fly my phantom in the street and we live on the edge of a housing estate which backs onto miles of fields. Just usually fly upto 400 feet and mess with the camera. Never had any problems with neighbours and usually passers by always stop and chat and ask about it. Havent had any complaints, although this evening a lady / chav probably in her early 40's walking a dog passed comment saying she didnt know how i dared fly it in the street incase it crashed, at this I let go of the controller and told her it flys its self being a simple stoke girl she believed me and carried on walking and past my neighbour just down the street who her dog instantly took dislike to and tried take a chunk out of his leg. i was tempted to pass comment on dangerous dog walking but restrained myself as she was probably in the right! :eek:

Never bothered with insurance for my phantom but if anyone could give me the name of a company that insures and is reliable, and a ball park figure on cost would be appreciated, just want cover incase i damage a car or someones head.

You would need to tell the forum which country you are in first!

HeliGav said:
Usually fly my phantom in the street and we live on the edge of a housing estate which backs onto miles of fields. Just usually fly upto 400 feet and mess with the camera. Never had any problems with neighbours and usually passers by always stop and chat and ask about it. Havent had any complaints, although this evening a lady / chav probably in her early 40's walking a dog passed comment saying she didnt know how i dared fly it in the street incase it crashed, at this I let go of the controller and told her it flys its self being a simple stoke girl she believed me and carried on walking and past my neighbour just down the street who her dog instantly took dislike to and tried take a chunk out of his leg. i was tempted to pass comment on dangerous dog walking but restrained myself as she was probably in the right! :eek:

Never bothered with insurance for my phantom but if anyone could give me the name of a company that insures and is reliable, and a ball park figure on cost would be appreciated, just want cover incase i damage a car or someones head.

Here in the US if you become a member of the AMA you do get some kind of liability coverage.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinnew.aspx?s=google

The poster's language usage suggests that he is British, in which case he should get insurance from the British Model Flying Association (BMFA). Flying without public liability insurance is extremely unwise.

I have always had a positive response when out flying, people will approach and chat for ages, sometime a bit off putting haha. Have a look at this site http://www.fpvuk.org/ was thinking about given them a call,I mostly fly in open fields and a local beach but probably best to get insurance in case it came down.

Dont mind people being interested and asking about it, although they always seem to ask about the camera before anything else, usually tell them its pretty poor quality but helps more with orientation when far away in flight, they usually sponge this up, always a bit concerned over privacy issues but suppose its nothing different to google earth if they ever persist and become to interested. Most untrue be u can guarantee Ill get some weirdo who thinks your taking pics of his obese bearded wife! Pmsl knowing my luck! Think ill look into insurance ! Not worth the agro for a few quid, and something show the police/community support officer if they ever pass by.

HeliGav said:
Havent had any complaints, although this evening a lady / chav probably in her early 40's walking a dog passed comment saying she didnt know how i dared fly it in the street incase it crashed, at this I let go of the controller and told her it flys its self being a simple stoke girl she believed me and carried on walking and past my neighbour just down the street who her dog instantly took dislike to and tried take a chunk out of his leg. i was tempted to pass comment on dangerous dog walking but restrained myself

It's amazing how many idiots out there want to pass quick judgment on our fun hobby and automatically assume our UAVs only exist to maim and kill people. These are the same douchers who are out walking dangerous dogs that can mutilate a small child in 10 seconds flat, or some dillweed who drives his motorcyle like a maniac on roads that I have to share with the douche.

So many judgmental, ignorant dweebs in the world today --- but so few bullets!

:mrgreen:

MadMitch88 said:
HeliGav said:
Havent had any complaints, although this evening a lady / chav probably in her early 40's walking a dog passed comment saying she didnt know how i dared fly it in the street incase it crashed, at this I let go of the controller and told her it flys its self being a simple stoke girl she believed me and carried on walking and past my neighbour just down the street who her dog instantly took dislike to and tried take a chunk out of his leg. i was tempted to pass comment on dangerous dog walking but restrained myself

It's amazing how many idiots out there want to pass quick judgment on our fun hobby and automatically assume our UAVs only exist to maim and kill people. These are the same douchers who are out walking dangerous dogs that can mutilate a small child in 10 seconds flat, or some dillweed who drives his motorcyle like a maniac on roads that I have to share with the douche.

The thing that really irritates me is (I have gotten a couple comments about this) is.... "Oh great, now you can spy on us" -

#1. exactly what do you expect me to see 2 or 3 hundred feet in the air
#2. How important do you think your everyday life is that I care what you are doing
#3. It's not like this is a stealth technology

Not everything is being used to spy on you... I don't want to read your facebook... I don't care what you have stored on the cloud.... and I am not interested in spying on you mowing your lawn.

Buckaye said:
The thing that really irritates me is (I have gotten a couple comments about this) is.... "Oh great, now you can spy on us" -

#1. exactly what do you expect me to see 2 or 3 hundred feet in the air
#2. How important do you think your everyday life is that I care what you are doing
#3. It's not like this is a stealth technology

Not everything is being used to spy on you... I don't want to read your facebook... I don't care what you have stored on the cloud.... and I am not interested in spying on you mowing your lawn.

Yep --- and I'd be a LOT more worried about hackers getting into these judgmental people's nude photos on iCloud than some cute harmless Phantom just putzing around in the friendly skies of your neighborhood. As far as I know, Phantoms are not yet capable of stealing credit card numbers and SSN's while they hover in the air.

I've lost all patience with the paranoid douchers out there. Seems like the only people who act friendly to me and ask curious questions while I'm flying are young boys age 6 to 15 --- they still have that inner fascination with cool gadgets before they get older and jaded and think everyone is out to spy on them.

MadMitch88 said:

.......and so many idiots in Washington working to take away our guns.....

Hi Heligav, to get up to £5 Million public liability insurance for your Phantom at home or in Europe, you just need to join FPV UK for about £15.80 per year and the insurance is part of the membership.

Here is their website: http://www.fpvuk.org/

Once you have joined, they will give you access to an insurance certificate in your name. They cover for FPV and any other model flyers including quadcopters. ;)

Electric Warrior said:
Hi Heligav, to get up to £5 Million public liability insurance for your Phantom at home or in Europe, you just need to join FPV UK for about £15.80 per year and the insurance is part of the membership.

Here is their website: http://www.fpvuk.org/

Once you have joined, they will give you access to an insurance certificate in your name. They cover for FPV and any other model flyers including quadcopters. ;)
+1

HarryT said:
The poster's language usage suggests that he is British, in which case he should get insurance from the British Model Flying Association (BMFA). Flying without public liability insurance is extremely unwise.

yes, stoke and chav gives it away a bit. i joined the BMFA as a country member to get insurance, but i won't cover you if you are flying where you shouldn't be

People on their way to Burning Man that stopped here did not give away that they were from Canada. I did not hear Aye at all. Typically that is a dead give away here on the west coast. When you hear that AYE, you can guess they are from Vancouver bc.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
LuvMyTJ said:
Near me in Eastern Canada they say 'eh', not aye. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eh

I am thinking about getting a snowmobile for this winter. Are you in an area that gets snow? Oh, wait what am I thinking, you are in Canada, IT ALL GETS SNOW! (right?) lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20