People confusing Transmitter with Receiver - Transmitter vs Receiver

Reaction score
As I read up on certain aspects of DJI Phantoms, I keep coming across references to transmitters and receivers that conflict. It can be very confusing to people new to RC.
Sometimes I see this posted in how to guides at drone websites. Sometimes I'm sure it's just an oversight, but sometimes it may not be. I've seen one "authority" How-To instructing people to turn on the Receiver...then the Phantom. As simple as this might sound, I hope it sits here on the Internet and over time helps a few people who are confused.

Note....
If you are new to RC, please be aware that there are small transmitters that can go into modern RC aircraft which send information back to the Pilot on the ground, and there can be receivers attached to or built into the main transmitter. But for the purposes of beginners, below is what is usually meant by Transmitter and Receiver.

This is an RC transmitter.......(The box you hold in your hands with joysticks (in case photo link breaks))
It SENDS control signals TO the aircraft.
futaba10cap.jpg

and here is an RC receiver....(which is inside the aircraft)
It RECEIVES the control signals and sends them to the devices that control the flight of the aircraft
FPR608HS_MED.jpg

Could confuse a little more as these are not the RC and receiver for any of the Phantoms. Actual photos would be less confusing. Good info though.

If is probably less confusing to call...

The bit you hold onto as the Controller.

The bit that flies as the Phantom

Both bits of equipment have transmitters and receivers which should be the term for the circuit boards only.

Phantom 3 controller also receives data, so it is a receiver (and a transmitter).
I think the term "Controller" is better as well.

As both now utilise transceivers it would probably be better to go with controller and aircraft these days.

Im sure it was so much easier back in the day :)..hmm swapping crystals etc, Forget i said that.

Reactions: Marlin009 and Ti22
As both now utilise transceivers it would probably be better to go with controller and aircraft these days.

Im sure it was so much easier back in the day :)..hmm swapping crystals etc, Forget i said that.

Don't forget flags on antennas!

Reactions: Marlin009

Don't forget flags on antennas!

You guys are taking me back. :D

Glad this issue got all cleared up. :D

I have read a lot of posts regarding CONTROLLER and not really sure what they were talking about. I always try to spell it out in my posts. TRANSMITTER in hand and receiver on the bird. I know it's a real pain. I have to lift my finger and push a few more buttons on my keyboard.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4