Pennsylvania Game Commission Moves To Ban Drones

How will PA folks get their Amazon drone deliveries?

Seriously though, I am all for not harassing wildlife but if this catches on many states with lots of protected land will become un-flyable.

If they want to protect the wildlife, they ought to ban hunting and people carrying guns. I'm not aware of one wildlife incident where the animal has been actually harmed by a drone. But thousands are yearly by hunting.

They probably don't want drones buzzing around because it will scare off the wildlife before the hunters can take a shot.

Reactions: JBG and Droner412
I love animals more than most people, but to use them as one of, if not the only reason for the ban over game lands is somewhat ridiculous and in a way almost humorous. Those game lands turn into animal slaughter houses come hunting season, a lot also have gun ranges year round so I'm sure not many animals want to be around that kind of noise on an almost daily basis but you'll never see those shut down.

ETA: state game lands are also all over the place in this state, if it's not private land then there's a good chance it's a state game land.. A lot of lakes and such are also surrounded by game lands so they're really going to cut down the places we can fly..

If they want to protect the wildlife, they ought to ban hunting and people carrying guns. I'm not aware of one wildlife incident where the animal has been actually harmed by a drone. But thousands are yearly by hunting.
Biased much?
They are "harmed" legally for use, control and State Revenue not to mention the Pittman -Robertson Act which does more for wildlife paid for by hunters than any bleeding hearts campaign or drone law

Last edited:
i'm not sure why they did that measure. are drones being used to scout out where the wildlife is for hunting purposes? isnt that sorta like fishermen using sonar to find schools of fish?

i'm not sure why they did that measure. are drones being used to scout out where the wildlife is for hunting purposes? isnt that sorta like fishermen using sonar to find schools of fish?
It interuption of migratory birds is the reason.

This is exactly why the FAA needs to clearly regulate the use of small drones so we don't have 50,000 different rules and regulations. If you are harassing the birds, you should be charged. If you are just flying no issue. Let the unlawful actions dictate the charge versus arbitrary bans.

Reactions: SGs
I agree, in the plane I am held to a certain accountable altitude over clearly marked fur farms and even over wild moose.

However those laws and the penalties belong to Transport Canada not Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.(game wardens)

The article also states that peta used a RC helicopter to spot hunters that were mistreating animals whatever that means. Don't want to see this pass but if it does at least peta won't be able to harass wildlife & hunters with their helicopters.

The article also states that peta used a RC helicopter to spot hunters that were mistreating animals whatever that means. Don't want to see this pass but if it does at least peta won't be able to harass wildlife & hunters with their helicopters.
Our game wardens count moose at tree top level and lower with an airbus 350 b2 or a ec 130. Can't cause much more chaos than that but........

Pa is a very corrupt state they use animals to pass laws there is no proof that this is changing patterns only what they think . As far as PETA spying on people it was SHARK taking vids of politicians doing bird kills beating and torturing animals .

Eventually, I think the FAA will take ultimate control of the airspace for us drone operators. We just have to wait it out, and hope that when it happens they make it VERY clear to States and Municipalities that they cannot ban us from flying.

I love animals more than most people, but to use them as one of, if not the only reason for the ban over game lands is somewhat ridiculous and in a way almost humorous. Those game lands turn into animal slaughter houses come hunting season, a lot also have gun ranges year round so I'm sure not many animals want to be around that kind of noise on an almost daily basis but you'll never see those shut down.

You must not go to a lot of gun ranges :) At our local shooting ranges, we have to call cease fire on the firing line almost daily to allow deer and turkeys to walk across the range. They get used to regular activities. It would be better if they just adopted a law similar to Colorado where it specifically says you can't use a drone for hunting purposes (locate, drive or otherwise harass wildlife.)

That's funny. Apparently wildlife has more rights with regards to drone surveillance than we do as citizens.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl