Pelican look alike case creating dust?

Reaction score
Does anyone use one of these and notice the black dust that comes off the foam and covers the equipment? If so, what was your fix for this? I don't want to have to wrap everything in bags.

I use a lot of Pelican cases and haven't seen this. Are you using a real Pelican brand case or one of the innumerable knockoffs? If it's real, I would contact Pelican and show them your issues. They are known for reasonable support policies.

Pelican and others sell the 'pick foam' where moderately stiff foam is partially cut and you just pick out the areas you want open. I've found this the preferred solution since you get to organize the box the way you want and if offers a better support than pre built inserts.

I have bought some Cobra stuff off Amazon, works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Replac...N=B005YT6SR6&linkCode=xm2&tag=duckduckgo-d-20

Pelican and others sell the 'pick foam' where moderately stiff foam is partially cut and you just pick out the areas you want open. I've found this the preferred solution since you get to organize the box the way you want and if offers a better support than pre built inserts.

I have bought some Cobra stuff off Amazon, works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Replac...N=B005YT6SR6&linkCode=xm2&tag=duckduckgo-d-20
That's what came in mind. I pulled out the squares so my accessories would fit but when I put things in, small black dust looking stuff comes off and gets everywhere. I'm not even using it now until I can find some inserts that won't dust everything.

That's unusual. I've pulled plenty of squares out without black dust. Most of the cases I have are grey - maybe Pelican changed something recently? As mentioned, they actually do support their products (for the price, they damned well should) so I would drop them a line.

That's unusual. I've pulled plenty of squares out without black dust. Most of the cases I have are grey - maybe Pelican changed something recently? As mentioned, they actually do support their products (for the price, they damned well should) so I would drop them a line.
The one I have isn't a pelican. I should have gotten that instead. I have one for my AR-15 and its better quality foam. I'll try to find some laminated looking foam and try that if I can find some that's not to expensive.

I've got the same case. The foam that comes in that case is just junk anyways. If you buy a good quality foam for replacement you will have no problem. Military spec foam will not do that.

For people who want to make sure the case fits the P3 with the props on it definitely will fit. It's a tight fit but it will go. The p3 has to be centered in the middle and there is less than. 5" around the edges when you close the lid.

The problem with this case is that the injection molding process causes the top and bottom cover to cave in toward the middle. The are not flat. Both surfaces have a concave feel to them.

So if you cut all the foam out of the bottom and place the landing gear on the bottom with no foam under the landing gear and close the top you only have probably an 1/8" before the top cover hits the top of the props. What I did to do fix this little issue is take a cutting torch and slowly heat up the top and bottom of the case until the color of the plastic had a glass like appearance. Then I closed the container and used an air compressor and blew a few pounds of pressure into the Vent location on the container. Think of like blowing up a balloon. This caused the container top and bottom to blow back out slightly. After you do that take a water soaked rag and run over the heated surface to cool everything back down. Doing this will give you a lot more clearance. So you don't have to be worried about smashing the motors. If you don't have a set of cutting touches you could probably use a propane torch or the cheap Harbor fright heat gun. They will work but it will take a long time to get the plastic hot enough so it can be reformed formed.

I've got the same case. The foam that comes in that case is just junk anyways. If you buy a good quality foam for replacement you will have no problem. Military spec foam will not do that.

For people who want to make sure the case fits the P3 with the props on it definitely will fit. It's a tight fit but it will go. The p3 has to be centered in the middle and there is less than. 5" around the edges when you close the lid.

The problem with this case is that the injection molding process causes the top and bottom cover to cave in toward the middle. The are not flat. Both surfaces have a concave feel to them.

So if you cut all the foam out of the bottom and place the landing gear on the bottom with no foam under the landing gear and close the top you only have probably an 1/8" before the top cover hits the top of the props. What I did to do fix this little issue is take a cutting torch and slowly heat up the top and bottom of the case until the color of the plastic had a glass like appearance. Then I closed the container and used an air compressor and blew a few pounds of pressure into the Vent location on the container. Think of like blowing up a balloon. This caused the container top and bottom to blow back out slightly. After you do that take a water soaked rag and run over the heated surface to cool everything back down. Doing this will give you a lot more clearance. So you don't have to be worried about smashing the motors. If you don't have a set of cutting touches you could probably use a propane torch or the cheap Harbor fright heat gun. They will work but it will take a long time to get the plastic hot enough so it can be reformed formed.
I don't mind pulling the props. Just want to solve the dust issue. Do you happen to have a link or know somewhere to buy the military spec foam for a decent price?

There's some kind of spray foam sealer that will "fix" the pick and pluck.

Flex Seal, Silver, 14 oz - Walmart.com
You might try this, nothing to lose!;)
This or Plastidip spray available at hardware stores in the paint isle. I use the plastidip on all pick and pluck exclusively now. Yes, foam will degrade and get dusty over time. I havent see this on the newer cases, but seen it on my firearm cases (always blamed the cleaning chems and solvents, but maybe its just age or foam quality).

Reactions: NC Drone and Doink
I don't mind pulling the props. Just want to solve the dust issue. Do you happen to have a link or know somewhere to buy the military spec foam for a decent price?
Look on Amazon like my previous link. Lots of options.-

Reactions: NC Drone
Thanks for the help on this. I edited my title since the case isn't a pelican. Pelican makes great cases. I have several for fishing and gun related needs.

Don't know where your based but I have a b&w type 6000 case I bought on amazon, they also just sell the foam insert on its own and looking at the internal sizes of the case you linked to the sizes of the pre cut foam insert for the b&w case are about half a inch out for width and length with height being the same, take a look on amazon UK, maybe they'll ship further a field

Individual DJI Phantom 3 foam for B W & Type 6000: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Last edited:
Don't know where your based but I have a b&w type 6000 case I bought on amazon, they also just sell the foam insert on its own and looking at the internal sizes of the case you linked to the sizes of the pre cut foam insert for the b&w case are about half a inch out for width and length with height being the same, take a look on amazon UK, maybe they'll ship further a field

Individual DJI Phantom 3 foam for B W & Type 6000: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
I'm in the US but I don't see these online for the states. Looks like a good option. Maybe someone else knows where to buy online here.

This or Plastidip spray available at hardware stores in the paint isle. I use the plastidip on all pick and pluck exclusively now. Yes, foam will degrade and get dusty over time. I havent see this on the newer cases, but seen it on my firearm cases (always blamed the cleaning chems and solvents, but maybe its just age or foam quality).
Interesting about the Plastidip ... But it's likely the deterioration is due to the hydrocarbon solvents. I have cameras stored in 12 year old Pelican branded cases and the foam looks perfect. Hopefully a P3 isn't leaking hydrocarbons.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20