Peeping Tom "Drone"?

Mark2025 said:
The person that called the Police in Seattle is actually a friend of mine. She actually didn't say it was a Peeping Tom, she was just caught off guard to see it outside her window (while undressed). She is very laid back and thinks the media is blowing this way out of proportion. I fly a DJI F550 and think the news going crazy about this story is pretty funny.

The reality in this case, was the drone was piloted by a photographer working for a developer taking legit shows of a development and the view for printed material. He apologized to her for the confusion... all is good.
Unfortunately your friend didn't seem to think as you portray when I saw her interview on TV. ;)

bbrant said:
Just can't get any respect. Feel like Rodney Dangerfield here. Just last week was flying my Phantom over my backyard getting a nice sunset. My neighbor's wife told me to take it down because she though I was spying on her I showed her my iphone and showed her the sunset I was filming. Still not convinced told me to take it down anyways. To add insult to injury my wife told me never to fly it in our neighborhood again she doesn't want to me known as known as the wife of the neighborhood perv. FAA aside how do you deal with all the drone haters out there?
You can't deal with them, trust me. Their mind is made up so don't you DARE confuse them with the facts. :roll:
I've done everything short of hiring them as censors to view any video I shoot without success. Some people just need something to complain about I guess and we're easy targets right now.
It's now reached the point where like the other poster my wife has asked me to cease flying in my neighborhood and to promise I won't anymore.
I promised I'd not repeatedly fly but will still go out in the street to test new firmware and/or adjustments from time to time. I'm NOT going to load up the car,get all geared up in boots and such, pack up a bunch of water (we live in the rural desert) to fly for one battery.
Sorry, just not going to do it no matter what the "neighbors" say. :x

Attachments

• Rear-Window-QUAD1.jpg
    Rear-Window-QUAD1.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 511
I've known the pilot for several years, the kind of young man you'd want for a Son, a perfect gentleman with his heart in the right place.

He's all about technology and helping others, the last thing he would do is spy on anyone.

It was nothing more than to get photos of the building... until the media ran with it, no surprise :shock:

Re: Peeping Tom "Drone"?

ianwood said:
Sure seems like she thought it was spying on her. An inflated sense of self-importance followed by embarrassment once the attention exceeded expectations. That anyone would think a loud, buzzy, blinky thing that lasts 15 minutes would be a suitable spy device is completely beyond me.

Though the real guilty party here is the brain-dead media pandering to the idiocracy.

+1

These paranoid "Peeping Tom" complainers can cause some serious damage. I'm in a rural setting (some homes with acreage, some farmland). For some unknown reason a close-by neighbor accosted me while I was flying (about 800' out at 300' alt) and insisted I was "taking pictures of her kids and that I better not do that"!! She seemed to think that my P2V had the capabilities of a CIA satellite. I can only hope that she's not spreading rumors.

ed.laveen said:
These paranoid "Peeping Tom" complainers can cause some serious damage. I'm in a rural setting (some homes with acreage, some farmland). For some unknown reason a close-by neighbor accosted me while I was flying (about 800' out at 300' alt) and insisted I was "taking pictures of her kids and that I better not do that"!! She seemed to think that my P2V had the capabilities of a CIA satellite. I can only hope that she's not spreading rumors.

It's very disheartening, some bad press can easily vilify something so benign.

The 'drone' in this case was being flown by someone hired by a developer to get photos of the exterior of the building. It wasn't the NSA. It wasn't a pervert (much to the woman's dismay and despair), and no one's privacy was being violated. Why can the news preform a little due diligence and find this out... oh yeah,non-news stories don't = $$$. Lie instead to get more $$$.

LuvMyTJ said:
The 'drone' in this case was being flown by someone hired by a developer to get photos of the exterior of the building. It wasn't the NSA. It wasn't a pervert (much to the woman's dismay and despair), and no one's privacy was being violated. Why can the news preform a little due diligence and find this out... oh yeah,non-news stories don't = $$$. Lie instead to get more $$$.

is your avatar doing the snappy gun/point fingers?

The posts in this thread sound more like the paranoid middle classes of the UK than the the land of the free and the brave. I'm sure we will suffer the same sort of media hysteria if and when an incident occurs over here. There's always some arsehole that wants to spoil others enjoyment. I love the post where the masses are described as the idiocracy, brilliant! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj