Peeping drones crime bill clears Indiana Senate

Reaction score
Peeping drones crime bill clears Indiana Senate

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - Anyone using the advanced technology of an aerial drone to undertake the age-old crime of voyeurism could be charged with a new offense under a measure approved by the Indiana Senate.

State Sen. Eric Koch said Tuesday that his peeping drone bill "keeps the law ahead of technology."

"When this bill becomes law they will pay a price. A first violation is a class a misdemeanor. A second violation is elevated to a level 6 felony," Senator Koch said.

The measure by the Bedford Republican creates a "remote aerial voyeurism" crime and addresses penalties for sex offenders operating drones inappropriately. The charge could be elevated to a felony if a person has prior unrelated convictions for the same offense.

The bill also bars people from using drones to interfere with public safety officials or harass someone via drone.

But people who use the drones for business and recreational use are concerned about how the law would be enforced.

"It will be interesting to see how they define harassment because somebody might say a drone is above my house at 300 feet which is completely legal in the federal airspace system but somebody says I heard the noise it's harassing me," owner of Indiana Drone Photography, Jon Gore said.

The measure was overwhelmingly approved on a 50-0 vote and now moves to the House for consideration.

how would someone have an unrelated conviction for the same offense?
If there was no law, then how would you have broken it before?
I guess to be safe sex offenders had better fly gay drones. Then the lgbtq will stop cops from peeking at it's camera card.

"Harass somebody by drone" ??? Misdemeanor to felony on second flight if caught? So anyone could claim that for prosecution. Anther gray law hits the books.

The vote of 50-0 in favor of the drone law speaks volumes as to where droning is heading, and it ain't good. States soon will supersede any FAA rules. "You just cannot takeoff or land anywhere our state as you might be harassing or trespassing. Good enough for the National Parks. Good enough for us."

Fly 'em while you still got 'em.

Reactions: elarryland

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl