PC GS vs. iPad GS

Reaction score
My PC GS was shipped today. While I am waiting for its arrival, I wonder if there are any important technical differences between the PC and iPad version. Ergonomically speaking I can see the iPad version has some advantages, but wonder if at the end of the day there is really any advantage or disadvantage to either version.

Please let's not turn this post in a Mac vs. PC bashing, let's keep it technical.

thanks,

I only have the iPad version.. I've seen screenshots of the PC version and it looks pretty different. I don't know if there is any huge advantage of one vs the other in terms of functionality.

The only 2 issues I run into with the ipad (but don't know if they are exclusively an iPad problem) are:

1. If it's hot out... The ipad can go into overheat mode
2. The Bluetooth connection is pretty weak.

Other than that I like it.

I too am waiting on my GS to arrive. I was told the Apple version is more aesthetic but the PC is more robust and has more/nicer features.

I fully plan to try it both ways, since the both come in the same package, and the granddaughter has an iPad. :twisted:

If you want to be flying a mission quickly then you can't beat the 'grab and go' functionality of the IPad. The PC version is more technical, maybe overly so considering the GS limitations. I use both though.

IAM SUGGESTING: the both are the very same in hardware.

For some reasons the shops list it in different names, maybe also with a different price.

I bought the Ipad Version and use the PC Software with it, in fact it came with a CD ROM that had the groundstation software on it for pc, although it was specifically listed as Ipad version,. maybe someone can clarify

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26195

Hi, I'm waiting for GS to arrive also. You get the disk in the box, is it APPLE friendly or only PC.

PC/APPLE - Its the same thing... I got the GS and I use both the iPad (stole the granddaughters actually-LOL) and the PC. I like the PC version. Way more gadgets and stuff.

If you are using the ground station with Datalink adapter it has many features the Android/apple version lack. (http://www.dji.com/product/pc-ground-station/feature). There are no range or altitude limits. You can edit and save flights on the PC. You have a MUCH greater range for viewing live telemetry. You can see real time location, air speed, vertical velocity, pitch, and altitude. I have my antenna elevated about 40 feet in the air and I can get a signal as far as I can fly the quad copter, which is closing in on 3.5 miles away. You have the option of flying the Phantom with a joystick if you feel the need. It has an auto-land option. You can reprogram the waypoints while it's flying. If none of that interests you then the extra money wouldn't be justified. I purchased the 900Mhz version since I am flying the Phantom 2 vision and the 2.4Ghz datalink will interfere with my wifi/video signal. It's substantially more expensive than the 2.4Ghz. $520 vs $199.

The main drawback, besides the price, is the fact that you need a PC to use it. Walking around with an ipad or mobile device has it's benefits. I live in a rural area. I have a large table by a door off my upper deck that never gets used. Put a PC with dual monitors on it and the antenna, connected with an extended USB repeater cable is just outside that door on a very tall pole. I can take off and return the Phantom just off the handrail of my deck. Daytime, night time, whenever. It's not for everyone but I'm having way too much fun with it.

Brownee, in case you didn't already get an answer, the CD software is PC-only, no Mac version. It might be possible to run it on your Mac(s) via an emulator like Wine but I've never tried it.

The pc ground station with the lk900mhz is the only ground station that can work simultaneously with a lightbridge because of the 2.4ghz interference.

Can some one tell me how they use the PC Ground Station. I have the android version and use my tablet 'out in the field' to program my missions. I don't know how you would use the PC version, surly you don't take your computer 'on site' or is it for PC Tablet computers ?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't get my head around the concept.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers