PC Groundstation will be dead at 12 december and will no longer work

So I wonder if they will send me an iPad or the $400+ to buy one so I can use the Datalink system I purchased and have not had a chance to use yet.

I have sent a request for more information to DJI and the company I purchased the system from.

Last edited:
Reactions: heady
I am in the same situation. I have purchased it in May and made only 2 Testflight.

Google has announced that they’re ending support for Google Maps Engine. If you’ve used Google Maps Engine to store your vector and raster data, you should be aware that your GME data will disappear on January 29, 2016.

Yep more bad news.

'however the iPad Ground Station functions will not be affected.'

I'd like to know more of what this means.
Does it mean if I go out and buy an iPad will I still be able to use the system or what???
iPads are exspensive here so I don't want to waste any more money on it if it won't get me anywhere.

I had another thought,Garmin has what it calls BirdsEye Satelite Imagery which is much the same as Google Earth,as in real view of the Earth,that can be loaded into compatible GPS devices.Maybe that could be made to work.It would take collaberation between Garmin and DJI but surely some clever boffins could figure out a way to make it work.
It is a subscription sevice,about $40 a year,but much like Ground Station you can cache the maps to your GPS and at the end of the subscription period any maps or areas you have cached will stay in the unit indefinately but if you want to load more new areas after the year is up you have to get a new subscription.
As best I can find it does not rely on Google Earth for it's imagery.

Otherwise I have plenty of digital maps,topographic and 3D,I just need someone more software savy to get the maps and Ground Station working together.

Last edited:
You need an iPad with Bluetooth 4.0 (=> iPad3 or iPad Mini).
If the IOS-Version work in the future, why DJI dont develop an Android-Version ?

DJI should release the GS SourceCode. Possibly the community can develop an new Version for PC and Android.

I will have to look into how that affects non- 900mhz/ace1 users. I don't think any of us use that. I have only seen the 2.4 on Phantom 2's.

They better step up the fix for iPad GS as it is currently broken.
And to think I bought a PC tablet just for GS use. :mad:

So I wonder is GS is using Apple maps for the iPad version?

I have received a reply from DJI in response to questions I asked about what my options are for using Ground Station after the PC version stops working.
In a nutshell they said there will be an update for the system to work with ios 9 soon,this month.
Well there were two replies to two messages sent,one said ios 9 update this month,one said may be this month.Make of that what you will but heres hoping.
So I will wait to see what happens and ask santa for an ipad for xmas.

Yes it's an expensive work around that's for sure.
But as has been mentioned before it is a Google F up so can't be too angry with DJI over it,at least they seem to be acting on it as best they can at this point by at least making it work properly with ios 9.

Well the PC Ground station using Google Maps API not Google Earth would be a solution OR even adding support to android and ios DJI GO app to GS would be a far better solution!

BUT doing that would make the P3 "features" a little pale :)

Has anyone tried this out yet? (U|g|CS) I just downloaded the free ap. If it works "As advertised", $65 doesn't seem that hard a hit for the expanded version. Better than waiting for DJI to support legacy products, let alone current!

For the record, DJI support and customer care absolutely sucks. The resulting vacuum will certainly bring in those who are more dedicated to preserving a good product, rather than DJI's approach trying to foist off newer and "improved" products.

Last edited:
Hi UgCS,
Most of us in this thread are P2 non visiion flyers. Your software is no good for us!!

johnbig
Have you tried the free download yet johnbig? The site says that the Phantom 2 is supported. I just downloaded the free ap and will give it a go as soon as I can get my poor P2 breathing life again after a serious crash!

Have you tried the free download yet johnbig? The site says that the Phantom 2 is supported. I just downloaded the free ap and will give it a go as soon as I can get my poor P2 breathing life again after a serious crash!
Looks like the Phantom 2 IS supported, but I'm not sure yet if it will work with the DJI Ground Station hardware:

U|g|CS ONE - supports following list of drones :
  • 3DR Arducopter
  • 3DR PIXHAWK COPTER
  • 3DR PIXHAWK HELI
  • 3DR PIXHAWK PLANE
  • 3DR PIXHAWK ROVER
  • DJI A2
  • DJI ACE
  • DJI Inspire 1
  • DJI Naza-M V2
  • DJI Phantom 2
  • DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus
  • DJI Phantom 3
  • DJI Wookong-M
  • Mikrokopter Octo XL
  • Mikrokopter Quadro XL
  • Parrot AR Drone 2.0

UgCS works with the same DJI Datalinks that DJI Ground Station is using.

For instance, if you are using Phantom 2 with 2.4 GHz Datalink, just launch UgCS, plug the Datalink cable into the USB port while the Phantom is turned on and it will be automatically recognized in our software.

We have a free version which can be downloaded from our site and tested. In case anything is still not clear, just ask, I will try to help :)
Got my fingers crossed because DJI majorly lacks in legacy support! I should be able to try it out in a day or two when my bird with the Blue Tooth v2.4 DataLink has healed. Got an iPad Mini in case it doesn't though, but it's anyone's guess as to how long DJI is going to support THAT option.

Hi,
I have the DJI 2.4Ghz data link, a macbook pro and a phantom 2.
I have connected the link in the phantom, start your os x app and then plugs the USB cable in the laptop. The data link shows a green LED for LINK and the red RX/TX is blinking, but the phantom does not show up in your application.

Do I have to enable something on the droid to get this working with your app? I have never tried the PC ground control from DJI, so I'm completely new to this!

I use Ground Station on my old (and no longer used as a phone) Motorola Razr Maxx Android phone. I'm not hooked to the web OR phone service at all. Wonder how this affects my setup. I also use a WiFi only iPad sometimes. In both cases, I'm never hooked to the outside world. How will they be able to ruin my flying experiences?

This is the kind of thing I'm trying to escape by using stuff that no longer connects to anything (other than my Phantom 2 Vision). :mad:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic