PC Ground Station vs. iPad Ground Station

Reaction score
Sorry for the newb question, but it seems the vast majority of Ground Station users are using it with the iPad. I don't currently own an iPad as I don't really have the need with my iPhone, MacBook, Lenovo ThinkPad, etc. Are there benefits to using the iPad Ground Station over the PC Ground Station aside from the inherent mobility that the iPad offers?

I already have my PC with me 24/7 so if I'm going to make the leap for the Ground Station, I would go with the PC Ground Station, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something which the iPad Ground Station offers over the PC Ground Station.

Thanks in advance!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

I have not used the Pc based system, but the only thing other than size etc, would be the controller side (you can use the ipad as the RC) this is easy on the ipad as it touch based, as will all other Ground Station functionality. The pc requires a joystick

The Pc does have the 3d maps, Upload/download flight mission , which I have not found in the Ipad yet.

I have read somewhere that Ground Station is with Apple for an update so I guess other things may be added

Simon

simon3000gt said:
I have not used the Pc based system, but the only thing other than size etc, would be the controller side (you can use the ipad as the RC) this is easy on the ipad as it touch based, as will all other Ground Station functionality. The pc requires a joystick

The Pc does have the 3d maps, Upload/download flight mission , which I have not found in the Ipad yet.

I have read somewhere that Ground Station is with Apple for an update so I guess other things may be added

Simon

Thank you for the response! Good info.

Looking forward to some more insight.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Fink,

After decades of PC use/bias/pref, I bit the bullet this morning and sprang for an iPad Mini, solely as my mobile GS platform. Between smaller, lighter form factor, and much better UI, that is all it took for me. Guess its a sign of how deep the needle is on my drone addiction.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
Fink,

After decades of PC use/bias/pref, I bit the bullet this morning and sprang for an iPad Mini, solely as my mobile GS platform. Between smaller, lighter form factor, and much better UI, that is all it took for me. Guess its a sign of how deep the needle is on my drone addiction.

Kelly

Thanks for the response, Kelly!

I do love the iPads and I am 100% a Mac person; however, I just can't justify spending the money on an iPad for my Ground Station platform when I have to carry my PC around with me 24/7 for work anyway. I'm an IT guy for a living and unfortunately, our platform is 100% PC/Windows-based. I also love my ThinkPad - quite the machine, at least for a Windows-based machine. :p

I do appreciate your input! Any justification for me to purchase a new toy is welcomed! :ugeek:

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

wkf94025 said:
Fink,

Kelly

Kelly, I share your addition. I went and bought an iPad just so I could use it with GS. I already had a tablet (Android) that I liked and had no other need for another one. Until GS became a possibility with the Phantom 2.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub