Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Payload of the Phantom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gotfast, Dec 9, 2013.

1. gotfast

From a NEWB
    I was looking for the flyable payload of the Phantom and did not get any real results, so this is what I did. I had an extra Nikon Koolpix 110, Nikon says it weights 406gm with 4 AA cells, I put a Lithium 12 volt rechargeable power pack, 6800mah, 168 gms $22.00 on Ebay to power a 500mah 900mhz microwave that has over a mile range and keeps the 2.4 & 5.8 gangs happy. My payload is 590gm or 1.30 lbs, it fly's and I have a FPV system with 12.1 mega Pix camera, HD, stereo sound, 15x zoom, a playback monitor on camera with a 7 inch flight monitor and a steady shot built in the Nikon that works similar to a gimble mount. I used Skis-Ka-Bob squires for landing gear extensions, very strong, low drag,and a years supply cost $1.99. I have a GoPro 3 that uses the same platform with a 2 servo gimble, by comparison, the Gopro system weights in at, 382gms, .84 pounds. Happy Dronning, remember to cut off the points on the spikes.

2. netphreak

The phantom weighs in around 800 grams, and DJI's "recommended" max weight is 1200 grams. I know many people that fly well into 1400 grams, but your overall flight time will suffer.

3. ElGuano

It's useful to know your "all-up-weight" with battery and everything installed, at point of take-off. Most "heavy lift" Phantoms will do 1400-1450g, with varying degrees of responsiveness and pilot tolerance, and with very short flight times (3-5 minutes). Any heavier than that and the Phantom has trouble taking off, finds it difficult to hold hover, and handling really suffers no matter what settings you use.