Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Pay for drone services.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kenskid, Dec 5, 2013.

1. kenskid

I fly up to 10-20 flights on a weekend. Usually in parks and other wide open spaces. My Phantom ALWAYS draws a crowd. On almost EVERY weekend I get someone willing to pay me to come to their area of the park and take an arial photo or video of their gathering. I do fly over and record. I show the the pics on my iPhone via Bluetooth to Gopro. They of course freak and want to pay a few bucks for me to text them the photo.

I have never taken money and happily send photos to their phones. I then give the a link to my YouTube page for vids.

I am then showered with food and drink from their party.

Am I breaking laws or rules?

2. Topeeka

Depending on the food you consume, you might be breaking a few Laws of Nutrition...! But, I sure don't see that anything you are doing comes remotely close to being a "Commercial Operation"...you were asked to do a favor and you did...!! Do you think that turning down a bit 'o barbeque would somehow keep you out of trouble?

3. MILLER4PRESIDENT2020

wish someone offered me beer or bbq!

4. Dave Pitman

Technically, if you are compensated in any way, it is a commercial operation as defined by the FAA (if you are in the us).

I wouldn't worry about it unless one of the folks at the party is an FAA employee :shock: :mrgreen:

5. kenskid

LOL...thanks for the replies. Fun stuff! Yeah I guess it technically is "commercial" if I take food but I'll chance it! I am offered beer at times but decline only because I want to burn my last three batteries before heading home!

K