Pay for drone services.

Reaction score
I fly up to 10-20 flights on a weekend. Usually in parks and other wide open spaces. My Phantom ALWAYS draws a crowd. On almost EVERY weekend I get someone willing to pay me to come to their area of the park and take an arial photo or video of their gathering. I do fly over and record. I show the the pics on my iPhone via Bluetooth to Gopro. They of course freak and want to pay a few bucks for me to text them the photo.

I have never taken money and happily send photos to their phones. I then give the a link to my YouTube page for vids.

I am then showered with food and drink from their party.

Am I breaking laws or rules?

Depending on the food you consume, you might be breaking a few Laws of Nutrition...! But, I sure don't see that anything you are doing comes remotely close to being a "Commercial Operation"...you were asked to do a favor and you did...!! Do you think that turning down a bit 'o barbeque would somehow keep you out of trouble?

kenskid said:
I fly up to 10-20 flights on a weekend. Usually in parks and other wide open spaces. My Phantom ALWAYS draws a crowd. On almost EVERY weekend I get someone willing to pay me to come to their area of the park and take an arial photo or video of their gathering. I do fly over and record. I show the the pics on my iPhone via Bluetooth to Gopro. They of course freak and want to pay a few bucks for me to text them the photo.

I have never taken money and happily send photos to their phones. I then give the a link to my YouTube page for vids.

wish someone offered me beer or bbq!

kenskid said:

Technically, if you are compensated in any way, it is a commercial operation as defined by the FAA (if you are in the us).

I wouldn't worry about it unless one of the folks at the party is an FAA employee :shock: :mrgreen:

LOL...thanks for the replies. Fun stuff! Yeah I guess it technically is "commercial" if I take food but I'll chance it! I am offered beer at times but decline only because I want to burn my last three batteries before heading home!

K

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik