Pay attention to the wind at altitude!!

If you get a good weather app you can look up " winds aloft " it will tell you about the winds higher up... I have seen winds actually go in different direction on the ground vs high in the air...
UAV WEATHER FORCAST

App is good to use. Gives a good wind speed indication at any
height.

Last edited:
Great flight.
Two aspects I try to manage are speed of rotation and speed of camera angle. You can dampen the speed that the camera angle responds to your controller which helps a lot. Sadly, there does not seem to be any such dampener for rotation.
Regarding publishing of video - I have been very happy with Vimeo over Youtube. Vimeo offers 1080p with lower compression now and will soon offer 2K. The results are never as good as video from your drive but I think Vimeo has a strong edge over Youtube. With the stunning video that we catch with our P3's, I think they deserve to be posted at highest possible quality. For comparison, you can seem mine at www.vimeo.com/dsprogis.
Drone on!

I did a test run of my P3P and had one of those pucker moments on the way home. Didn't know if I was going to make it, but did. When I landed I only had 4% left on the battery but was able to go out 4.2 miles with no problems. Not good for the battery or me!

The rule of thumb with Lipos has always been the 80% rule. Stop flying before the battery gets to 20% of its capacity. My question is does DJI calculate this in to its software so that landing at 4% is really 24% of the battery capacity? I've never taken it down that low but checking the used mAh at that level would confirm it. 3584 mAh used would be 80% of the battery's 4480 mAh capacity. I've never checked, or have landed below 24% yet. Can anyone confirm the mAh used from the app when landing this low?

SD

I always always always check uavforecast.com before I fly any kind of distance. Not only does it give you info on wind speed at a specific altitude, it also tells you the direction of the wind.

I am finding Weatherunderground to be much more reliable for wind speed accuracy. Anyone else notice this ?

The rule of thumb with Lipos has always been the 80% rule. Stop flying before the battery gets to 20% of its capacity. My question is does DJI calculate this in to its software so that landing at 4% is really 24% of the battery capacity?
Reminds me of a guy a year ago was upset with DJI because his Phantom "fell from the sky".
He flew till he got 0% battery and assumed that zero meant he still had a reserve to come home like his car's fuel gauge.
Anything after 10% is not reliable and being home on the ground before 20% is a good safe strategy.

Yep flying at 23 mph against a 25 mph head wind and you can go backwards.
Some guys have set distance records using headwinds. Not me, I like my Phantoms to much. I'm a picky flyer.. In other words I pick the best days and times to fly. No issues being picky!

Great flight.
Two aspects I try to manage are speed of rotation and speed of camera angle. You can dampen the speed that the camera angle responds to your controller which helps a lot. Sadly, there does not seem to be any such dampener for rotation.
Regarding publishing of video - I have been very happy with Vimeo over Youtube. Vimeo offers 1080p with lower compression now and will soon offer 2K. The results are never as good as video from your drive but I think Vimeo has a strong edge over Youtube. With the stunning video that we catch with our P3's, I think they deserve to be posted at highest possible quality. For comparison, you can seem mine at www.vimeo.com/dsprogis.
Drone on!
Yeah, with the entire video being at 4x speed it makes those turns and camera movements look even worse. Honestly I didn't set out to create a great video, I wasn't even sure I could make it to town. Once I got up there and out about 12000 ft I figured I'd head to town. Thanks for the Vimeo tip also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic