Patch antenna

Yes, it makes a big difference.

Radio waves propagate - or travel, in different orientations. The most usual would either vertical or horizontal. Look at a TV antenna and you will see most are horizontal, but some are vertically mounted. This is to match the local TV transmitter polarisation. Satellite TV uses mixed polarisation, but this is to provide more channels by reducing the guard bands required between the transponder frequencies to reduce intermodulation. The LNB switches between 2 antenna mounted inside it to match the transponder.

In a circular polarised antenna, the radio waves are more like a corkscrew, so both horizontal and vertical antennae will pick them up, albeit at slightly lower signal strength.If however, you put a circular polarised antenna at both TX and RX, both must "twist" in the same way, so that the maximum signal strength is achieved. Incorrectly match circular polarised antennae will have lower signal strength than a circular TX and a vertical RX.

We use circular antennae as the orientation and tilt of the helicopter has far less impact upon the signal strength and quality as compared to a single polarity signal. Fading and drop out is reduced.

5.8Ghz doesn't have good penetration THROUGH things, so you'll always have trouble if you lose line of sight behind a building or solid group of trees.

that being said, proper antennas make ALL the difference for good range especially in a high interference environment like a city or a dense cluster of apartment buildings with tons of wifi routers all sending signals into the air.

I suggest you check out the stickythread in the FPV forum Antenna Connectors reference it may help you understand the various connectors, and exactly which ones you need for your equipment

Re: Vs: Patch antenna

QYV said:
5.8Ghz doesn't have good penetration THROUGH things, so you'll always have trouble if you lose line of sight behind a building or solid group of trees.

that being said, proper antennas make ALL the difference for good range especially in a high interference environment like a city or a dense cluster of apartment buildings with tons of wifi routers all sending signals into the air.

I suggest you check out the stickythread in the FPV forum Antenna Connectors reference it may help you understand the various connectors, and exactly which ones you need for your equipment
Thanks. I will check that out.
I use diversity rx and planning to put there a left hand polarisation patch and cloverleaf. Now i have cloverleaf in tx&rx. I have got well over 1km with those, but sometimes there is a lots of interference in fpv in short range flights allso, so i belive that correct antenna configuration will make my life easier and display image clearer ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20