Part 107

Reaction score
I do not know my longitudes from my latitudes. Most drone pilots bought their stuff off amazon and can't even spell what my auto correct can. It will be like being back in the Air Force to get this. OMG, I can hardly wait to study .......again!

Reactions: Jason Porembski
Yep, going to be fun.

Good news: The FAA has just released its Remote Pilot Study Guide. Here it is: http://www.uav-groundschool.com/library/remote_pilot_ktg.pdf

Bad news: It contains links to entire books and documents, not the specific pages that are applicable. Other links are less than helpful for learning purposes. For example, "Sectional Charts" takes you to the FAA's page for digital chart downloads. It doesn't tell you anything that will help you learn to read and use them for your test.

But, it's certainly better than nothing. Note that everything in this new Study Guide was already in the ACS. The new doc simply groups them sorted by Knowledge Test Code.

Easy way to remember Lat/long. Think of a globe of the earth, sitting on a table. If you remember lateral as side to side, like a pass in football, than Lat = lateral = latitude, or side to side. The equator is a latitude line.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: BigAl07
Next question. Do you know how to use lats/longs to pinpoint a location on a sectional chart?

And read the sectional chart to understand what it tells you about that airport - class, altitude, contact frequencies, etc. safe bet that there will be something about this on the test.

Reactions: BigAl07
Next question. Do you know how to use lats/longs to pinpoint a location on a sectional chart?
N42724, I know you know this. But to explain it for Bob, in North America, latitude is North of the equator and longitude is West of the 0* longitude. Look for Lat/long numbers (degrees) on the sectional along the main lines, big squares. Two squares is one degree. Each big square you see is 30' (minutes) by 30'. Count the small ticks (minutes) on the squares, for longitude, going west is higher degrees, for latitude, going north is higher degrees. Each tick is further divided into "seconds." The seconds are not depicted so you have to interpolate them. Halfway between the ticks is 30" (seconds).
For example: Mobile, Alabama's Lat/long is 30*37'36"N/88*04'05"W. On the sectional chart for Alabama, about 20 miles north you can see an intersection on Lat/long that is 31*N and 88*W. From there you can, going south, count down the latitude (subtract) 22 ticks (minutes) which gives you a rough 30*38". Going west along the 88*longitude, count 4 ticks (add going west). For the seconds, you'll have to interpolate between the ticks.
Clear as mud now, right. Hope this helps a little. It takes practice but once you get it, you have it for good.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluesgeek
Reactions: bluesgeek
Easy way to remember Lat/long. Think of a globe of the earth, sitting on a table. If you remember lateral as side to side, like a pass in football, than Lat = lateral = latitude, or side to side. The equator is a latitude line.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Another way to remember latitude from longitude is to associate a latter with latitude. Horizontal rungs of a latter are like the latitude lines of the globe. Latter = Latitude

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik