Part 107

Reaction score
In the U.S. the new guidance for commercial operations have been put forth. I'm a rated private pilot so all I had to do was take the online Small UAS course online and take the exam which I did today. So once I get my flight instructor to annotate my log book and submit the paperwork to the FAA I'll get the flight endorsement on my pilot's license.

This goes into effect by the end of August, is anyone else out there pursuing the sUAS flight endorsement?

In the U.S. the new guidance for commercial operations have been put forth. I'm a rated private pilot so all I had to do was take the online Small UAS course online and take the exam which I did today. So once I get my flight instructor to annotate my log book and submit the paperwork to the FAA I'll get the flight endorsement on my pilot's license.

This goes into effect by the end of August, is anyone else out there pursuing the sUAS flight endorsement?
I am, and have completed the course. But I'm not a pilot so I have a few more hoops to jump through.

I have looked several different places and talked to several different people, all with different answers so I hope I can find something more definitive here.

I work for a small municipality in South Carolina. I am on the IT staff and video events and other things for the Town as part of my job duties. I would love to purchase a small camera drone for the purpose of taking footage of the Town and some events to use in our videos. My question is this. What do I have to do to use the drone in this function legally?

I have heard everything from having to have a full pilots license to having a pilot with me during drone ops to having to do nothing at all. I have read a little about the new FAA regulations concerning drone use, but I was told by someone else that it only applies to people that are using the drones for profit and reselling the footage. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Follow the link I left above or you can simply google Part 107 and follow the FAA links.

Just keep in mind anything you do for the town would be "Commercial" so you are correct in seeking to get the proper credentials once they are available.

Follow the link I left above or you can simply google Part 107 and follow the FAA links.

Just keep in mind anything you do for the town would be "Commercial" so you are correct in seeking to get the proper credentials once they are available.
That's what my gut was telling me as well. Plus the knowledge from doing the course is worth it anyway.

Reactions: BigAl07
That's what my gut was telling me as well. Plus the knowledge from doing the course is worth it anyway.

I would like to see it become mandatory for all UAS flying personally but that's probably down the road a bit.

I would like to see it become mandatory for all UAS flying personally but that's probably down the road a bit.
Perhaps, but a good idea. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in flying these things. I refer to them as the world's most expensive selfie sticks.

Reactions: BigAl07
Any word if this is quicker to get than the 333 exemption?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes MUCH quicker. It doesn't go "Live" until August 29th but the rest is simply a matter of studying for the test, paying for the test, and passing the test.

Reactions: beamerbuilder1
I worked with a photographer the other day who was taking shots for a pilot training company in Georgia. Because I helped out with him photographing/videoing me and my daughter flying they will let me take a course for free. I was happy to do it anyway and this should be better than waiting for a 333 which is what I originally planned to do.

It's my understanding that as of August 29th you will no longer need get a 333 exemption. The 14 CFR Part 107 test will grant greater privileges than 333 once passed. When you pay your $150 and pass the knowledge test at an FAA approved testing center you'll will be legal to fly commercially. Fortunately for Part 61 Pilots you are exempt from the Part 107 Knowledge test. [emoji106]

Last edited:
It's my understanding that as of August 29th you will no longer need get a 333 exemption. The 14 CFR Part 107 test will grant greater privileges than 333 once passed. When you pay your $150 and pass the knowledge test at an FAA approved testing center you'll will be legal to fly commercially. Fortunately for Part 61 Pilots you are exempt from the Part 107 Knowledge test. [emoji106]

All true. I'm a part 61 pilot, took the online course, had my CFI certify I wasn't a Muslim extremist and sent everything off to the FAA. They'll get around to endorsing me I suspect in a couple of months.

All true. I'm a part 61 pilot, took the online course, had my CFI certify I wasn't a Muslim extremist and sent everything off to the FAA. They'll get around to endorsing me I suspect in a couple of months.

If you go to a DPE (your CFI could be one with a simple online test) you could get your temp license in about 30 min. That's what I did but of course you have to pay the DPE for their time and efforts so it's not free.

Beamerbuilder1 - That seems to be what I got from glancing through the new guidelines. I was not sure if that is all I needed though. So I can just do the test and be done then? The FAA has a lot of "one size fits all" wording on the website so I was not sure what the minimums were since different levels of pilot need more or less than others. If I could afford it I would love to actually get a real pilots license one day but that seems to be about a $10,000 price tag to be able to legally fly a Cessna, then there is the next little problem......... that I don't have enough money to actually buy a Cessna or anything else with a prop and windshield. At least I can fly my drone with some FPV fun.

Beamerbuilder1 - That seems to be what I got from glancing through the new guidelines. I was not sure if that is all I needed though. So I can just do the test and be done then? The FAA has a lot of "one size fits all" wording on the website so I was not sure what the minimums were since different levels of pilot need more or less than others. If I could afford it I would love to actually get a real pilots license one day but that seems to be about a $10,000 price tag to be able to legally fly a Cessna, then there is the next little problem......... that I don't have enough money to actually buy a Cessna or anything else with a prop and windshield. At least I can fly my drone with some FPV fun.

Yes JonEQuest If you take and pass the FAA Part 107 test at a CATS or LaserGrade testing center you'll be good to go. After the test, you then have to go into IACRA 24 to 48 hours later and submit your online application for your actual certificate. I passed my test on Tuesday. It was quite a bit harder than I expected so study hard a couple weeks prior to your test. I was told by the FAA once you pass your Part 107 you are about half way to your actual Pilots license.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik