Part 107 required?

Reaction score
I own and operate my own residential A/V firm. A big part of our summer business is outdoor landscape audio systems, and in recent years, we are installing more outdoor TVs as well. I would like to take videos for our site, but am unsure if a Part 107 is required if I am shooting the video myself for my own business and not being paid to do this work for others. I suspect yes, as it is commercial use, but it is a bit of a gray area so unsure.

Yes, you need part 107... It is a business and you getting paid for selling a product. The video is part of it.

Yes, you need part 107... It is a business and you getting paid for selling a product. The video is part of it.
Macoman is absolutely correct. Your example is very close to one that the FAA uses in its FAQs. Because it supports a business (whether compensated or not) it is commercial activity that requires Part 107.

Reactions: macoman
You could operate as a hobbyist and give yourself the video...

Unfortunately Lakelegobot, that won't do it in the eyes of the FAA. They have made it clear that if a hobbyist gives a video to someone that is then used in support of a business, the original flight is considered commercial and should have been done under Part 107. Bottom line is simple - any use of video or images in support of a business is commercial regardless of who took it, whether money or compensation was exchanged, or the original intent of the flight.

Unfortunately Lakelegobot, that won't do it in the eyes of the FAA. They have made it clear that if a hobbyist gives a video to someone that is then used in support of a business, the original flight is considered commercial and should have been done under Part 107. Bottom line is simple - any use of video or images in support of a business is commercial regardless of who took it, whether money or compensation was exchanged, or the original intent of the flight.

One slight correction - the FAA has clarified that it is the original intent of the flight that matters, and that material produced during a recreational flight that subsequently turns out to have non-recreational uses is allowed. That's not a strategy that is going to work on a regular basis though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl