Part 107 operate as hobbyist?

Reaction score
I recently obtained my part 107 certificate and ordered a p4p last night. I would like some time to fly the p4p not commercially. Can I fly as a hobbyist with my hobbyist registration number and follow hobbyist rules with the p4p or am I always held to part 107 rules even when not being paid?

Can I fly as a hobbyist with my hobbyist registration number
Yes. Before taking off, you need to decide if you're going to be flying as a hobbyist or commercially. If a hobbyist, you'll need to follow the hobbyist rules during that flight.

Agreed with singer. However, just like a CDL driver risks his cdl if he gets a DUI in his family car, your actions as a hobbyist can jeopardize your 107. You are held to a higher standard as you have more knowledge about regulations, etc.

Reactions: sar104
+1 to what msinger said. Can't change your mind in the middle of the flight. Problem with flying as a hobby flier is that if you happen to capture some great footage may be an issue if you want to try selling later! Only advantage for me would be some relaxing of the night flying restriction and flying in certain controlled airspace. But there again,couldn't then sell any footage so rarely do it.

Yes. Before taking off, you need to decide if you're going to be flying as a hobbyist or commercially. If a hobbyist, you'll need to follow the hobbyist rules during that flight.
Wow! I don't really get that at all. If that's the case then one could fly at night with a 107 and not have a waiver. And just say I'm a hobbyist that night? How does that work msinger?

+1 to what msinger said. Can't change your mind in the middle of the flight. Problem with flying as a hobby flier is that if you happen to capture some great footage may be an issue if you want to try selling later! Only advantage for me would be some relaxing of the night flying restriction and flying in certain controlled airspace. But there again,couldn't then sell any footage so rarely do it.
Wow! So you think they will be on you if you if you have a 107 and flew at night a few times and then tried to sell that footage?

Reactions: Azusa
you think they will be on you if you if you have a 107 and flew at night a few times and then tried to sell that footage?
That's not what we're recommending here though. You would not be able to sell that footage.

That's not what we're recommending here though. You would not be able to sell that footage.
Ok I get that your not recommending that here. But how would they ever patrol that msinger? I mean how or who would be checking to see if a clip was shot in 107 mode or Hobbyist Mode? This whole night thing is the only reason I have been holding off on the 107.

Right, that's my point exactly! Flying at night or inside Class D airspace just for the fun of it has minimum appeal to me. I do it sometimes, but keep very careful records of what pics or videos were taken so that they never 'accidentally' wind up in the portfolio.

Right, that's my point exactly! Flying at night or inside Class D airspace just for the fun of it has minimum appeal to me. I do it sometimes, but keep very careful records of what pics or videos were taken so that they never 'accidentally' wind up in the portfolio.
Flying at night has maximum appeal to me Richard R. Mainly awesome city skylines in the distance or from the river. Not over the city but shooting it from farther out. And I have been told that it's about 3 months to get the night time waiver from the FAA.

Thanks for the responses, the reason I am asking is because I just ordered a P4p. It hasn't even arrived yet. I live in iowa but I'm in Arizona for the next few months. I've played around with the AR drone 2.0 platform, for a couple years, but thought if I buy a P4p I could get serious and start making a little money on the side. I will prolly wait till I'm back home to start any commercial work. I just wanted to know if I could operate as a hobbyist with fewer restrictions while I learn and experiment with all the new features of the p4p. Btw I'm super stoked about all it can do. I've been watching this forum like a hawk since I ordered it. Any advice for a p4p noob?

Reactions: KevMo Photog
But how would they ever patrol that msinger? I mean how or who would be checking to see if a clip was shot in 107 mode or Hobbyist Mode?
That's a great question. I have no idea how the FAA manages to keep track of things like this.

That's a great question. I have no idea how the FAA manages to keep track of things like this.
Gotcha. I need to go ahead and get the 107 done but I'm wanting to fly some night stuff this summer and it's a good drive for me too. But the night waiver takes almost 3 months. So I may wait til late summer to do it.

I'm pretty sure that the answer is that they have absolutely no way to track that systematically. As with many other issues surrounding sUAS flights, the only ways that these kinds of things are likely to cause problems are either if someone complains or if they get wind of a violation some other way. Then they might go digging. So, for example, night photos or footage used commercially that turned out not to have an associated waiver might lead to problems.

I might also add that it will impact your insurance. If you have commercial insurance it may not cover you for hobby flying. So you would then have to have two types of insurance to cover you for the different flights you undertake.
We have instances this side of the pond of people being reported to the CAA after displaying their images on YouTube. So you do need to be careful, and keep very good records about when you flew and what you were at the time.

Its a shame that I feel like I'm walking on egg shells....All I want to do is find a spot and practice learning the functions of the p4p.

I feel exact.y the same. I am going through the course for a CAA PfCO over here, and I feel like every time I fly I am being watched. I don't publish any images just in case someone complains about some little thing. All we want to do is have some safe, flying fun, but rules are rules

Its a shame that I feel like I'm walking on egg shells....All I want to do is find a spot and practice learning the functions of the p4p.

That's on you.
You can't help what others think, say, or do.
Be the 'star' of you own life's movie!

Your correct, I can't help what others think, say, or do. I also can't stop law enforcement officers from arresting me for breaking some dumb law inadvertently. I can't stop the FAA from revoking my part 107 certificate for breaking some obscure rule either. I real don't care what peoples' opinions are. I'm more concerned with keeping myself protected

Ignorance of the law is on you too. No 107 rules are obscure.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic