Part 107 Explanation/Breakdown - Great Article!

Reactions: turbulence and SGs
VLOS and no flying over people. Imagine law enforcement trying to prove this in court. Directly over people or generally over people? Can I fly around where people are generally but not directly over them? VLOS, unless a cop is standing next to you, there is almost no way anyone is going to get busted for this and honestly the cops I know are never going to even worry about it. Bigger fish to fry. My cop friends don't even have time to deal with small things like stolen cars, or breaking and entering. Can you fathom calling the police because you think a drone is over your head or that its too far away for the operator to see and having them rush right out to investigate? Yeah me either.

Page 560 says the FAA estimates out of pocket expense for pilots to become compliant under 107 is $150.

So now I'm confused......is the test for 107 mandatory? What if I don't care about making money, what if I just want to fly at the local field? Do I still need to take the test?

Reactions: liketogethigh
So now I'm confused......is the test for 107 mandatory? What if I don't care about making money, what if I just want to fly at the local field? Do I still need to take the test?
It is not. This is for "non-hobby and non-recreational purposes" only.

I called the hotline number and spoke to a nice woman named Rebekah. She said she heard the SME telling people that even though this doesn't take effect until late August, that you should make your appointment for testing now because they are expecting a large number of people taking the testing. You won't be able to take the test until the ruling goes into effect.

UPDATE: The New Rules Are Out! 6.21.16 - Press Release – DOT and FAA Finalize Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I found an article that best describes the new part 107 rules and what it means to you as a commercial or wanna-be commercial operators. Below is a tiny portion of the article. See the source below for the full information. It is a good read...

"One of the largest barriers preventing the average Joe from using UAVs for business in the United States has been the requirements of a Section 333 Exemption (allowing sUAS to fly without needing to meet standard aircraft airworthiness requirements) and a minimum of a sport pilot license. The Section 333 Exemption is not particularly burdensome, and there are several major companies which will offer to file the petition for you, for a fee. But the sport pilot license can take a long time and a lot of money to acquire, considering the rental rate for a Cessna 172R is around $150 per hour by the Hobbs meter, and that’s saying nothing of the cost to hire a certified flight instructor for the same amount of time.

So if you had given up on using drones for business, you were probably pretty excited to hear of the FAA’s recent notice of proposed rulemaking, called Part 107. Here are the highlights:
  • UAVs would be allowed to fly up to 100 mph and as high as 500 feet above ground level
  • Craft under a certain size and weight would be permitted to fly over people and property under certain conditions
  • Instead of attending flight school, operators would need to pass an FAA knowledge test and acquire a UAV operator’s certificate (which would require a biennial examination, just like a pilot’s license)
  • Operators would need to register their aircraft like GA airplanes, and would need to be vetted by the TSA.
The proposed rulemaking will remove several significant roadblocks preventing hobbyists from going professional for financial reasons. It will also expand the range of allowable activities for new and existing drone professionals. The full text of the NPRM summary can be found here. It is expected to pass in late June of 2016. If you feel like reading the entire notice, here it is."

Read the entire story here at the SOURCE: http://www.hoversolutions.biz/2016/05/13/starting-a-drone-company-under-part-107-considerations-for-uav-pilots-who-want-to-go-pro/

Yes but you still have to go in and do an interview with the TSA. Last time I checked there wasn't many locations to do this.
Not sure if this helps but this is from pages 383 and 384 of the FAA release

As discussed in more detail below, the process for issuance of a remote pilot certificate will be as follows. First, an applicant will have to take and pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test. After taking the knowledge test, the applicant will be provided with an airman knowledge test report showing his or her test results. If the applicant passed the test, the applicant will then fill out an application for a remote pilot certificate using either the FAA’s electronic application process (referred to as the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) system) or a paper application. The FAA will then forward the applicant’s information to the TSA for security vetting to determine whether the applicant poses a security risk. Once TSA notifies the FAA that the applicant does not pose a security risk the FAA will issue an electronic temporary remote pilot certificate to an applicant who applied through the IACRA system.128 This temporary certificate (valid for 120 days after receipt) will be issued within 10 business days after receipt of an electronic application, and it will allow the applicant to exercise all the privileges of a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating. Once all other FAA- internal processing is complete, the FAA will issue the applicant a permanent remote pilot certificate.

link:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf

As I understand new UAV ruling Part 61 has everything to do with sport pilot's licenseprivate/ pilot's license/ yada-yada-yada that being said it seems a sport pilot license is still required at minimum to fly a uav.I do not know or understand about the TSA requirements... it seems the new UAV certificate still requires FAA Ground School and testing as well as the TSA certification, but like the sport pilot's license no Third Class Medical is required just a driver's license. Not quite sure on the triple 3 exemption but I'll bet my bottom dollar that it's still going to be a requirement along with its COA..... I'm still confused I have a pilot's license I have my triple 3 exemption do I need to go to the TSA for a certification???? Anybody out there that knows anything about this any replies would be greatly appreciated thanks

I've been bouncing all over the forum and locked threads to get here..

But this looks like fantastic news!!

I'm going to try and apply. Looking to get an inspire, DSLR and use my phantom as well to create small projects for profit and for small jobs.

This is great

Not sure if this helps but this is from pages 383 and 384 of the FAA release

As discussed in more detail below, the process for issuance of a remote pilot certificate will be as follows. First, an applicant will have to take and pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test. After taking the knowledge test, the applicant will be provided with an airman knowledge test report showing his or her test results. If the applicant passed the test, the applicant will then fill out an application for a remote pilot certificate using either the FAA’s electronic application process (referred to as the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) system) or a paper application. The FAA will then forward the applicant’s information to the TSA for security vetting to determine whether the applicant poses a security risk. Once TSA notifies the FAA that the applicant does not pose a security risk the FAA will issue an electronic temporary remote pilot certificate to an applicant who applied through the IACRA system.128 This temporary certificate (valid for 120 days after receipt) will be issued within 10 business days after receipt of an electronic application, and it will allow the applicant to exercise all the privileges of a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating. Once all other FAA- internal processing is complete, the FAA will issue the applicant a permanent remote pilot certificate.

link:

I concur with the above. When I called I specifically asked if my Global Entry Card (used for TSA-Pre) was sufficient. I was told that the FAA checks with the TSA themselves, no in person interview is required. We joked that a terrorist on the watch list could buy a gun but not fly a drone commercially.

Last edited:
As I understand new UAV ruling Part 61 has everything to do with sport pilot's licenseprivate/ pilot's license/ yada-yada-yada that being said it seems a sport pilot license is still required at minimum to fly a uav.I do not know or understand about the TSA requirements... it seems the new UAV certificate still requires FAA Ground School and testing as well as the TSA certification, but like the sport pilot's license no Third Class Medical is required just a driver's license. Not quite sure on the triple 3 exemption but I'll bet my bottom dollar that it's still going to be a requirement along with its COA..... I'm still confused I have a pilot's license I have my triple 3 exemption do I need to go to the TSA for a certification???? Anybody out there that knows anything about this any replies would be greatly appreciated thanks
This is not correct.

Maybe I can clarify, maybe not. For those who want to get paid using their drones, you seemingly need to take the knowledge test (available August) and pay somewhere between $150-$214. Then happy charging for you.

Reactions: GenesisX

Its a long read but the way I understand it, triple3 and COAs will no longer be required for sUAS under a certain class.
The FAA even notes that future technologies will help integrate the bigger UAS and waivers granted, blah blah blah...

Here's the link.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4