Part 107 Explanation/Breakdown - Great Article!

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
UPDATE: The New Rules Are Out! 6.21.16 - Press Release – DOT and FAA Finalize Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I found an article that best describes the new part 107 rules and what it means to you as a commercial or wanna-be commercial operators. Below is a tiny portion of the article. See the source below for the full information. It is a good read...

"One of the largest barriers preventing the average Joe from using UAVs for business in the United States has been the requirements of a Section 333 Exemption (allowing sUAS to fly without needing to meet standard aircraft airworthiness requirements) and a minimum of a sport pilot license. The Section 333 Exemption is not particularly burdensome, and there are several major companies which will offer to file the petition for you, for a fee. But the sport pilot license can take a long time and a lot of money to acquire, considering the rental rate for a Cessna 172R is around $150 per hour by the Hobbs meter, and that’s saying nothing of the cost to hire a certified flight instructor for the same amount of time.

So if you had given up on using drones for business, you were probably pretty excited to hear of the FAA’s recent notice of proposed rulemaking, called Part 107. Here are the highlights:
  • UAVs would be allowed to fly up to 100 mph and as high as 500 feet above ground level
  • Craft under a certain size and weight would be permitted to fly over people and property under certain conditions
  • Instead of attending flight school, operators would need to pass an FAA knowledge test and acquire a UAV operator’s certificate (which would require a biennial examination, just like a pilot’s license)
  • Operators would need to register their aircraft like GA airplanes, and would need to be vetted by the TSA.
The proposed rulemaking will remove several significant roadblocks preventing hobbyists from going professional for financial reasons. It will also expand the range of allowable activities for new and existing drone professionals. The full text of the NPRM summary can be found here. It is expected to pass in late June of 2016. If you feel like reading the entire notice, here it is."

Read the entire story here at the SOURCE: http://www.hoversolutions.biz/2016/05/13/starting-a-drone-company-under-part-107-considerations-for-uav-pilots-who-want-to-go-pro/

Last edited:
I found an article that best describes the new part 107 rules and what it means to you as a commercial or wanna-be commercial operators. Below is a tiny portion of the article. See the source below for the full information. It is a good read...

"One of the largest barriers preventing the average Joe from using UAVs for business in the United States has been the requirements of a Section 333 Exemption (allowing sUAS to fly without needing to meet standard aircraft airworthiness requirements) and a minimum of a sport pilot license. The Section 333 Exemption is not particularly burdensome, and there are several major companies which will offer to file the petition for you, for a fee. But the sport pilot license can take a long time and a lot of money to acquire, considering the rental rate for a Cessna 172R is around $150 per hour by the Hobbs meter, and that’s saying nothing of the cost to hire a certified flight instructor for the same amount of time.

So if you had given up on using drones for business, you were probably pretty excited to hear of the FAA’s recent notice of proposed rulemaking, called Part 107. Here are the highlights:
  • UAVs would be allowed to fly up to 100 mph and as high as 500 feet above ground level
  • Craft under a certain size and weight would be permitted to fly over people and property under certain conditions
  • Instead of attending flight school, operators would need to pass an FAA knowledge test and acquire a UAV operator’s certificate (which would require a biennial examination, just like a pilot’s license)
  • Operators would need to register their aircraft like GA airplanes, and would need to be vetted by the TSA.
The proposed rulemaking will remove several significant roadblocks preventing hobbyists from going professional for financial reasons. It will also expand the range of allowable activities for new and existing drone professionals. The full text of the NPRM summary can be found here. It is expected to pass in late June of 2016. If you feel like reading the entire notice, here it is."

Read the entire story here at the SOURCE: http://www.hoversolutions.biz/2016/05/13/starting-a-drone-company-under-part-107-considerations-for-uav-pilots-who-want-to-go-pro/
thanks for getting that out

Reactions: richardtomcat
Sounds like a fairly reasonable alternative to the current pilot's license + 333 exemption requirement. I wouldn't mind doing some commercial stuff in the long term, but the financial investment for a pilot's license was a deal-breaker.

The TSA vetting is kinda stupid and wasteful. That's just another example of punishing the law abiding. Those who want to use the drones for nefarious purposes aren't going to bother with any of this.

The part about flying over people will likely get scrapped. From what I read on the FAA website (summary of the recommendations made by a focus group comprised of several drone makers *including DJI* and other scientists) the FAA is pretty much opposed to flying anything bigger than a Blade Nano QX over people based on "the high probability the weight of a falling drone would cause great bodily injury given known inertia parameters" or something like that. AKA All DJI quads don't qualify.

Apparently DJI was extremely outspoken and upset that the other panel members would not agree to support any type of drone flights over people.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Great write-up! Thanks for posting here.

IF Part 107 "opens the floodgates" for operators entering the market, what he said about increased costs to compete is an overlooked consequence. Aerial photography has already become commoditized to a large extent (especially relative to a few years ago) and operators will need to find further ways to separate themselves. Industrial applications seem to be the next wave experienced operators are moving towards.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hrrumph.

Still VLOS - not that I expected much different. The TSA 'inspection' sounds like a deal breaker until they actually describe what they mean. Do I have to fly to Seattle to show them my P3P? What happens when I crash it and replaced the gimbal and frame? What happens when I lose it in the ocean and buy another P3P?

EDIT- Looks like the operator will have to be vetted by the TSA. Perhaps we can show them an airline boarding pass?

And I thought that small UAVs already did fall under the model aircraft rules (which are exempted from this).

EDIT - This still doesn't make sense. 'Model Aircraft' designation is hobby only unless they've changed it...

Should create more Sturn Und Drang when (if) it finally appears.

EDIT - Oh yes - costs

Knowledge Test Fee $2548.60 (notice the accuracy to the penny, I like that)
Positive Identification of the Applicant Fee $434.80 (my wife would likely do this for considerably less)
Small UAS registration fee $85.70 (ouch)
TSA Security Vetting $1026.50 (This makes little sense, it cost $50 to sign up for the Precheck system)
Knowledge Test Report $154.90 (Maybe this is the actual fee and the other one is something else).

Ouchness!

Oh, and thanks for putting this up.

Back to grumping....

Last edited:

------------------
Thanks for the post,
Yes I saw the draft version as well. Having the understanding that soon or later for good measures all operators need to comply with the rules and get appropriate licenses and or certificates, I was looking at the FAA Knowledge test.... is this same as FAA Airman Knowledge Test, if so which one is the one they are saying Operators need to take? There are bunch of them.......

FAA Knowledge Test would probably be like the Private Pilot Knowledge Test. TSA part of it is showing your passport and similar type of documents.

We "should" know more of the details after their press conference today at 1pm EST. Not many of the things have changed since the original NPRM and I'm afraid a lot of people are going to be upset with the Daylight only, no flying over crowds, and VLOS aspects.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
We "should" know more of the details after their press conference today at 1pm EST. Not many of the things have changed since the original NPRM and I'm afraid a lot of people are going to be upset with the Daylight only, no flying over crowds, and VLOS aspects.
I agree. But if the FAA incorporates any of its standard airman tests as necessary qualifications to operate a UAV it would be massive overkill in my opinion. I'd guess 95% of the information does not really refer to UAV operations, commercially or as a hobby. Speaking from experience as a retired commercial airline pilot, I truly hope that the FAA adopts 'simple' but concise rules and regs concerning UAV operations that makes sense. But, my experience with them (FAA) over 30 years has taught me that they tend to "overthink" the obvious. Hopefully it will not be so difficult and demanding to comply with that the majority ignore the mandates and go their own way. That will cause more issues that will shed a negative light on drones, and we all know that will bring MORE guidelines. Cross your fingers guys. Think positive.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

......But, my experience with them (FAA) over 30 years has taught me that they tend to "overthink" the obvious

.....Hopefully it will not be so difficult and demanding to comply with that the majority ignore the mandates and go their own way. That will cause more issues that will shed a negative light on drones, and we all know that will bring MORE guidelines. Cross your fingers guys. Think positive.

One "positive" thing that Part 107 does is that it gives this "Teeth" in that violating Part 107 has zero "gray area" in terms of enforcement etc. Section 333 Exemption isn't codified and as such is hard to "Enforce" unless there is a safety violation which is then "enforceable". Part 107 would take care of this and allow the FAA (should they want to and have the manpower to do so) to enforce and hand over to the courts for prosecution.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Anyone know of a site where you can watch or listen to a live stream of the 1pm FAA press conference?
I'm unable to find a link or any definitive confirmation that it's still going to be a Press Conference. Hopefully someone else has more details and a link.

Hrrumph.

Still VLOS - not that I expected much different. The TSA 'inspection' sounds like a deal breaker until they actually describe what they mean. Do I have to fly to Seattle to show them my P3P? What happens when I crash it and replaced the gimbal and frame? What happens when I lose it in the ocean and buy another P3P?

EDIT- Looks like the operator will have to be vetted by the TSA. Perhaps we can show them an airline boarding pass?

And I thought that small UAVs already did fall under the model aircraft rules (which are exempted from this).

EDIT - This still doesn't make sense. 'Model Aircraft' designation is hobby only unless they've changed it...

Should create more Sturn Und Drang when (if) it finally appears.

EDIT - Oh yes - costs

Knowledge Test Fee $2548.60 (notice the accuracy to the penny, I like that)
Positive Identification of the Applicant Fee $434.80 (my wife would likely do this for considerably less)
Small UAS registration fee $85.70 (ouch)
TSA Security Vetting $1026.50 (This makes little sense, it cost $50 to sign up for the Precheck system)
Knowledge Test Report $154.90 (Maybe this is the actual fee and the other one is something else).

Ouchness!

Oh, and thanks for putting this up.

Back to grumping....

Are you [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] me?taking the 107 costs $4500.00???

Will the 107 test be online or do you need to go to a center? It looks like this will all go into effect the end of August?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik