Part 107 - Airspace Authorizations

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
As October draws near more and more ATC are starting to follow the October 3rd dated FAA guidelines for Airspace Authorizations and referring any new requests to the online portal:
Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization
Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)

They are simply following through on the recently released ATC Guidelines for Airspace Authorizations which mandates they refer all "direct sUAS requests" to the portal. We will see more and more ATC refusing to accept requests let alone granting approvals because in essence they will be in violation of an FAA Mandate.

The reason for this thread is to hopefully let more Part 107 Operators understand that as ATC are adopting the new procedure you're not going to be able to get those "last minute" approvals from ATC. This could cause you some delays and potentially cost you jobs. I suggest if you bid on any jobs in controlled airspace you got into it knowing about the potential (high potential) for delays for the next few months.

Plan ahead and tell your clients up front so they aren't caught by surprise.

Reactions: Nickster
Well said, Al. And here's a new Gold Seal video we just posted regarding "Waivers vs. Authorizations"

Reactions: BigAl07
Whats up guys? New member here. Been reading for a while just got signed up. I recently bought a P4 for fun and maybe some commercial "dabbling." I have a real job that pays all the bills and feeds the family so I am not looking for a new source of income. Just something I can do on the side that I really enjoy. I used to be a commercial pilot and am now in the ATC business. My editing skills with video and photo are probably a little above average right now but I'm always working to get better. Passed my 107 test last week.

Anyways I just spoke to a buddy of mine at the local Class C airport about all the rules coming down. He is in charge over there so he is closely involved. It sounds like we are going to be good to go based on the October dates posted in another post. October 30 being for Class C. He even sent me the official grid and altitude layout for the airport. Pretty cool. We basically are going to be looking at a lot of "0"s (as in altidue) directly surrounding the airports and then extending out on all the final approach courses. I must say though, overall it did not look that restrictive. It sounds like it will be integrated with the COA site and be able to almost provide us instant approval depending on what lat/long we enter, radius, altitude and how it matched up with the grid.Overall I think it is promising. Obviously to operate in the "0" blocks or above the altitudes in any of the others, that's where we will be needing the waiver.

Happy to be aboard!

Reactions: Falcon900
As October draws near more and more ATC are starting to follow the October 3rd dated FAA guidelines for Airspace Authorizations and referring any new requests to the online portal:
Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization
Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)

They are simply following through on the recently released ATC Guidelines for Airspace Authorizations which mandates they refer all "direct sUAS requests" to the portal. We will see more and more ATC refusing to accept requests let alone granting approvals because in essence they will be in violation of an FAA Mandate.

The reason for this thread is to hopefully let more Part 107 Operators understand that as ATC are adopting the new procedure you're not going to be able to get those "last minute" approvals from ATC. This could cause you some delays and potentially cost you jobs. I suggest if you bid on any jobs in controlled airspace you got into it knowing about the potential (high potential) for delays for the next few months.

Plan ahead and tell your clients up front so they aren't caught by surprise.

Thanks Allen. I have a golf course that wants me to do some video and photos for them. I will make sure I get this done as soon as I find out dates!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

What airspace is the golf course in?

Well said, Al. And here's a new Gold Seal video we just posted regarding "Waivers vs. Authorizations"

Thanks for that, but it is not a bit simplistic? I'm most in need of daylight waiver and would actually be seeking a more blanket waiver stretching over more time than a single event, although events are what I'll be covering, not inspections and such. Is it certain that night waivers must be submitted one at a time? Are they even being entertained by the faa yet through the portal? I've been led to believe that the information you submit about what you're doing must be much more detailed than what you're depicting there, however I realize it may be just that - a depiction. Any clarification you can offer on the daylight waiver and if they're being accepted and approved right now through the portal would be very helpful. Thanks!

Again, you will be asking for authorization, not a waiver. (Same website) you can ask for it to cover a period of time, not just a single event. I put mine in for 60 days. The (sfc) ClassE airspace at my local airport covers a prime section of my city and county where I hope to be doing real estate videos/stills. The request has been in for a ciuople of weeks, just waiting for 3 Oct.

The video wasn't designed to go into a variety of intricacies. It was created to help people recognize that waivers and airspace authorizations are different things, and that requesting one when you really wanted the other will be counter-productive. The concept of waivers vs. authorizations remains one of the most commonly misunderstood items in the Remote Pilot world.

Sorry, but I can't answer all your list of questions about waivers for night flight. At this point, I don't think anyone can. The process is too new.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Nice Video GoldSeal! We also offer free training for filing out the Airspace Authorization form. We feel every pilot needs to know how to use the waiver/authorization website as part of their core business. As waivers start to be granted (we think many will be identical similar to the 333 exemptions), we will offer free training on those as well.

https://www.dronelaw.pro/box/clkn/http/www.dronelaw.pro/part-107-waivers/

If you are a Part 107 pilot, you need to be able to use the FAA waiver website. If you have a complex waiver request, then hiring an attorney to assist is always an option. We offer that service but ALWAYS encourage pilots to submit airspace authorizations 'in bulk' for controlled airspace for their primary markets.

Fly Safe!

Last edited:
Again, you will be asking for authorization, not a waiver. (Same website) you can ask for it to cover a period of time, not just a single event. I put mine in for 60 days. The (sfc) ClassE airspace at my local airport covers a prime section of my city and county where I hope to be doing real estate videos/stills. The request has been in for a ciuople of weeks, just waiting for 3 Oct.
Any word on your authorization Richard?

Nothing yet. You can bet I'll let every one know as soon as I hear anything!!

Here's a small update for you from one of our sUAS professionals who is on the cutting edge of our industry and in tight with our FAA contacts.

If you have a Class C or B from this email they are going to cancel them due to they aren't approving them yet. I'm reaching out for clarification from DC.

"As a result, Air Traffic facilities and UAS operators are approving authorizations according to the schedule below:
Class D & E Surface Area October 3, 2016
Class C October 31, 2016
Class B December 5, 2016

Unfortunately, the airspace authorization request you submitted has a start date prior to the dates listed above. Therefore, we will not be able to process your request in time to support your planned operation.
If you still require an airspace authorization, please resubmit your request with a start date after the dates listed above. We apologize for this inconvenience as we improve and streamline the Part 107 airspace authorization process.

Respectfully,
Air Traffic Organization Emerging Technologies, AJV-115"

Update #1 - They will only cancel the request if your end date is before the scheduled processing date. This is for Class B,C,D,ESFC. So make sure your dates extend past the the date they start processing the respective airspace. Example Class C request KSAT Start Date 10Sep16 End Date 29Oct16. Your end date is before the date in which the Class C will be processed. It will be cancelled.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl