Parrot Mambo: In a class by itself? Really?

Reaction score
Old RC copter guy, dormant for about the last 5 years, got a P4 for Christmas, and it was all over after that. One month later I've also got a Hubsan 502S, 107D+, and an EACHINE 10WD (amazing little nano!), and... a Parrot Mambo.

It's the last I want to talk about. This is not a review.

Of all my "cheap" drones, the Mambo is the most amazing for this reason: It has a barometer for altitude hold, and an ultrasonic transducer on the bottom for precise altitude hold below 16 feet, and fixed tiny camera on the bottom that is used for Visual Positioning!

And all this works, surprisingly well. When close enough to the ground for these systems to be active (16 feet or less), the **** little flyer can do a pretty decent job of holding itself in place hovering, even in some moderate, gusty wind.

Because of these features, it flies very much like the P4 -- autobraking, stick movements translate the AC (up, down, forward, back, left, right, rotate). Center the stick, and the AC flight controller brakes and holds position.

Indoors, of course, this all works extremely well, as you're never more than 16 feet AGL.

So, the question is this: Are there any other cheap drones (Mambo is $100) with these stability features and control similarity to the P4 (and other expensive drones)? I've searched and search, and the Mambo is the only one I can find. My "cheap" drone dream (the one I can fly like a maniac and smash up into pieces, then fix -- don't want to do that with the P4 :D) that also has a forward-facing, FPV camera... Put the sensors and controller from the Mambo in the Hubsan 502S with its video board and camera, and you'd have the ideal practice, indoor drone for indoors. Keep in mind the 502S has GPS too.

Watching my Mambo outside in the breeze, slightly pitching and rolling to hold position was like watching the P4 do the same in stiffer wind.

On top of that, the Mambo comes with some fun attachments for playing indoors -- a little cannon that shoots Airsoft-sized pellets, and a grabber that can carry up to 4oz. I don't use these, as I'm mainly interested in flying the AC, but they're fun when its pouring rain outside.

I have a Parrot Bebop (one) that I use to hack around with outside - quite stable in wind etc.... And for 20$ you can upgrade the Freeflight pro app to fly with waypoints and GPS hold. Easy to find out there for $150-$200.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers