Parks off limits in Northern NJ?

Reaction score
For the second time in a week I've had a park ranger stop me from flying at two different sites. Anyone know anything?

For the second time in a week I've had a park ranger stop me from flying at two different sites. Anyone know anything?

No anything about what? Will some park managers tell you that you can't fly? Yes. Is this within their right? Questionable. But it's tough to argue as they will simply claim that they have deemed it dangerous to the public. They may also site 36 cfr 1.7b 1.5.

There are issues with all of this. They claim its a danger as someone _could_ get hurt by the drone. Well, someone _could_ get hurt from a Frisbee and they are allowed. Someone _could_ get hurt from anything. The question should be, is a done inherently dangerous to the public. They are not. They are not falling out of the sky onto people and they are not crashing into people all of the time. Same as a Frisbee. What you are getting is a quick, independent reaction from a park manager/ranger who simply does not want to deal with any feedback from drone flying.

You can always ask if they can show you their policy on banning drones. Usually they won't be able to do this. As mentioned, some may cite 36 CFR. You can ask them to state the reason's why drones pose a threat in some way (as required by the Compendium) but I suspect they will just ignore you. In the end, they win. Be it correct or incorrect.

I went to a local park here, and the ranger also stopped me and asked me for the Academy of Models Aeronautics ( AMA) license and local park permit. These are intended for RC models, is our little drone an RC model?

I went to a local park here, and the ranger also stopped me and asked me for the Academy of Models Aeronautics ( AMA) license and local park permit. These are intended for RC models, is our little drone an RC model?
Technically. In Illinois it's the rule to have ama license and permit to fly in parks. I haven't got on trouble because I stay away from big parks or Forrest perverse. State parks I believe is off limits.

But remember you can't take off and land in these areas, but you can take off nearby and fly to it...m just remember the line of sight rule

The one occurrence was at Liberty State Park which I understood because it was a day after the bomb threat but the other was at a County Park when no one else was there besides the ranger. I do check the no fly map but these sites have never been a problem before this week. I have access to FBI security warnings but I have not seen anything about this. I thought maybe someone on this forum had heard something like earlier this year when the FAA instructed police to act on their behalf.

I would sign up as its in your interest especially with insurance if anything goes wrong. It only cost $20 for a trial if you're on the fence

Technically. In Illinois it's the rule to have ama license and permit to fly in parks. I haven't got on trouble because I stay away from big parks or Forrest perverse. State parks I believe is off limits.

But remember you can't take off and land in these areas, but you can take off nearby and fly to it...m just remember the line of sight rule
I doubt the state can (or does) require a person to join a private club in order to fly. I'd guess this steams from "requiring" that someone have liability insurance in general. However, I doubt someone needs a permit to fly.

I doubt the state can (or does) require a person to join a private club in order to fly. I'd guess this steams from "requiring" that someone have liability insurance in general. However, I doubt someone needs a permit to fly.

You need a permit only if you want to fly inside the park AND in a special area they have for model aircraft. These rules were back with fix wings rc control planes. They decide to drop drone into it even though we can take off anywhere. Don't need a permit if you wanna fly in your backyard just inside the park, mainly county Forrest perverse, state beach, trail hike etc etc

You need a permit only if you want to fly inside the park AND in a special area they have for model aircraft. These rules were back with fix wings rc control planes. They decide to drop drone into it even though we can take off anywhere. Don't need a permit if you wanna fly in your backyard just inside the park, mainly county Forrest perverse, state beach, trail hike etc etc

I question if each person needs a permit. My point is that the AMA is a private association. I doubt a government entity could require a person to going a certain private group. More likely they require certain credentials, such as proof of insurance.

I question if each person needs a permit. My point is that the AMA is a private association. I doubt a government entity could require a person to going a certain private group. More likely they require certain credentials, such as proof of insurance.
"Organizations requesting reserved and exclusive use must first submit evidence of their affiliation with the Academy of Model Aeronautics and furnish proof of public liability insurance in the minimum amounts of $1 million per person and $1 million per occurrence, naming the Lake County Forest Preserves as the insured.
An individual using the facility must have in his or her possession a valid model flyer’s license issued by the Academy of Model Aeronautics, or other equal proof of liability insurance and competence, and a valid Forest Preserve permit. The permit must be displayed on the frequency board while flying the aircraft."

So yes basically insurance idk why they have to mention ama

I fly kites at Liberty & have seen the park police make people with RC planes take them down. I am pretty sure most state parks do not allow RC vehicles in general. I wonder if you tether the quad & keep it on a 299 foot leash (You might be able to say it is a mechanically assisted kite)

Liberty Park is part of the National Parks system. As a result, you cannot fly a drone there.

Reactions: cfd701
Liberty Park is part of the National Parks system. As a result, you cannot fly a drone there.
I know what you are saying is true but it is not zoned out on the map and I have had many previous encounters with park officers (former coworker was volunteer there) while flying and never had an issue. My real issue was county park police as that really limits fly zones and is a little ludicrous since most of those are isolated and have few bystanders. I'm more worried about the trend then anything else.

Yes, the trend isn't good. Suffolk County, NY is considering a ban on drones for all county parks. We can all thank the morons that fly with reckless abandon for convincing the media, the public, and government officials that everyone who flies a drone is doing something dangerous.

Also, that map does not include all no-fly zones and shouldn't be completely relied on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31