Park flying

Reaction score
Looking for some advice from those expert rc flyers who fly at public parks. Just really want to know the do's and dont's.

Is it even ok to do? The one I have in mind has a large open area (soccer fields and such). My thought was to fly there as long as no one is there. My thoughts are that as long as I don't fly over anyone I should be ok.

Please share your wisdom with me :)

socman said:
Looking for some advice from those expert rc flyers who fly at public parks. Just really want to know the do's and dont's.

Is it even ok to do? The one I have in mind has a large open area (soccer fields and such). My thought was to fly there as long as no one is there. My thoughts are that as long as I don't fly over anyone I should be ok.

Check local laws. I do it all the time.

I usually try to go when there's the least amount of folks around. Normally, the ones that are there don't seem to mind and kind of find it interesting. Just make sure you've got a good amount of successful flights before you try flying above folks. Just in case. Also, check the park signs in the area. They usually list what is allowed and what isn't. Good Luck!

Watch out for dogs, most go nuts and chase it. Their owners aren't impressed. And assume they think your camera is a high teck close up surveillance unit. I nearly always have friendly people who want to talk about it, I mean who wouldn't?

Just like a normal camera or noisy boom box don't intrude on people's spaces. I've found most people know that we all share the same park and as long as I stay away from them and their dogs I'm allowed to do my thing with the quad.

socman said:

We have a beautiful California State Park near my house, and I was excited about shooting video there and putting it on YouTube when I first got my Phantom. However, I first asked the park ranger about it and I found out to my disappointment that all photography in the park is copyrighted by the state. Of course, you can shoot photographs, but he said you can't put them on the Internet or publish them to the public without written permission from the superintendent. Since I like to be low-profile when I'm working with the Phantom, I decided there were other venues to do my videography. Still it's a beautiful place and I hated to give up my plans to do some edited pieces there.

Otherwise, he didn't indicate there are any problems with flying RC aircraft in the public park! If Anything, I thought that would be the problem!

maybe the ranger misunderstood you and thought you meant to do a commercially viable shoot at the park. it would make little sense to have every park visitor getting permission so they can post their vacation pictures. besides, as far as i know, there are no rules at state parks against flying anything, as long as it is not an annoyance to others or is destructive to the park itself.

auck said:
maybe the ranger misunderstood you and thought you meant to do a commercially viable shoot at the park. it would make little sense to have every park visitor getting permission so they can post their vacation pictures. besides, as far as i know, there are no rules at state parks against flying anything, as long as it is not an annoyance to others or is destructive to the park itself.

Naw, the ranger may misunderstand the rules, but he did misunderstand what I was thinking of doing. Like I said, apparently flying RC in the state Park isn't necessarily prohibited, but publishing images of it in a public venue like the Internet could be a problem -according to him. He knew they we wouldn't be casual pictures of a family outing.

Ranger is wrong! For commercial use, a permit may be needed to film IN the park, but whatever you capture while legally in the park, or from the air is yours to use however you please. A public park is just that, PUBLIC.

That's like saying I can't use a photo I took of the Statue of Liberty or St. Louis Arch or Yosemite or whatever and post it public ally. That's bull. Ask Mr. Ranger to please provide the ordinance.

Happy flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik