Paralell Charger

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm considering buying some sort of parallell charging board, should I have some kind of consideration before buying one? Can it be used with the Phantom 1 stock charger?

A board like this one i.e: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2DXPCPGUR2OBI

I've read that all six batteries (in case of charging 6 at the same time) should be exactly the same (amount of cells, mah, etc) Should I also balance the batteries before charging all six?

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!!!

Nico

Hi everyone!

I'm considering buying some sort of parallell charging board, should I have some kind of consideration before buying one? Can it be used with the Phantom 1 stock charger?

A board like this one i.e: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2DXPCPGUR2OBI

I've read that all six batteries (in case of charging 6 at the same time) should be exactly the same (amount of cells, mah, etc) Should I also balance the batteries before charging all six?

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!!!

Nico

Parallel charging batteries isn't a good idea. But if you have to do it that way, yes balance them first to try to minimize the damage.

Parallel charging generally isn’t a good idea. It can be done but with little real benefit and not without serious caveats.

1st thing is that whenever you connect packs/bricks in parallel they must be similar SOC (state of charge). If one brick is near full charge and another brick nearly empty there’ll be a large inrush of current into the later when connected on the para-board.

Balance wires can’t handle that much current and the cells themselves may become overtaxed and damaged. It’s just not a good idea.

2nd thing, what’s the benefit to parallel charging from the same charger? None, IMO.
Charger’s already delivering all the power it can deliver and splitting that power up between 2 bricks’ simply doubles the charge time accordingly.

In other words, you’re not going to realize any faster charge time by paralleling bricks for charging. Total charge time will total the same as for each brick individually.

The only minuscule benefit I can find is that it saves you from swapping bricks at charge termination. But you should never charge RC Lipo unattended anyway so it’s best to merely charge 1 brick at a time.

I will take this moment to suggest everyone buy a decent RC Charger for their P1 flight kit.

iCharger 106B+ is a great little charger and coupled with a stiff power supply (car battery or 10-20A PS) you can safely charge P1 bricks in a matter of minutes.

I generally recharge my warm, empty, 2200mAh bricks @ 6A. Ready for another flight in 10-15 minutes. 3-5qty good bricks and I’m flying non-stop all day if I want. Of course, never, ever charge a HOT battery pack but the iCharger comes with an external temp sensor and if used, it will protect from that potential problem.

And if you’re technically curious and/or inclined, a good RC balance charger will make you much smarter with regard to battery technologies.

I cannot believe the number of battery powered devices around my home which I’ve utilized my iCharger to troubleshoot and/or solve battery issues.

Very impressive device and one of the 1st things I’d suggest to “upgrade” P1 experience, IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31