Parabolic antenna question

Reaction score
I was having problems with the p4p losing signal anything above 500 meters, I had a set of eBay parabolic antennas that slide onto the antennas and they made a massive difference, the ones I have are plastic with half moon brass coloured metal sheet in them, the downside of these that I have is they make the aerials point downwards which is not good and makes it difficult having to angle the RC upwards, what have other owners on here used ?

Those windsurfers are an immediate upgrade for a low cost. I'm sure there are companies currently working on modding the R/C, but it may take some time because of DJI's move to create a dual band phantom. You might be seeing those panels like from maxxuav on the p4p soon.

*Just cut a small part of my finger yesterday with the parabolic copper part. I was aiming to fit it in the case, and I didn't know the edge was kind of sharp at an angle. Make sure you don't wrinkle the sheet, and watch your fingers haha.

Reactions: Testman
I may just buy a cheap set of the ones that just use the single plastic fixing and make my own, have access to a lot of thin aluminium and stainless at work and need the plastic parts

I was having problems with the p4p losing signal anything above 500 meters, I had a set of eBay parabolic antennas that slide onto the antennas and they made a massive difference, the ones I have are plastic with half moon brass coloured metal sheet in them, the downside of these that I have is they make the aerials point downwards which is not good and makes it difficult having to angle the RC upwards, what have other owners on here used ?
Mine do not make the antennas "point down". Can you post a pic?

IMG_0871.JPG
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG
The angle that feels correct when connected with lanyard neck strap is attached makes antenna point downwards, you can't angle the antenna back anymore because the plastic case of the extenders fouls the RC you can angle them back if you lift the extenders up on the antennas but they wobble about because the tops of antennas are out of the fixing point

Question, I understand the P4P is dual band, 2.4 and 5.8 ghz. Is one antenna for each band? Does anyone make a reflector for the 5.8 band? I doubt the one made for the 2.4 ghz will perform on the 5.8 antenna. The focal length is different for each band keeping them from interchanging.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

The Inspire put two antenna boards inside one antenna shell, one for 2.4 and one for 5.8Ghz. I would assume they are doing the same thing for the P4P.

A standard Windsurfer will work fine, helping to collect more signal coming in, and focus more signal going out in a general direction. The reflector simply reflects signals, any frequency.

John, so you are saying that the same reflector works the same on both 2.4 and 5.8 gigs? I would have thought that the 5.8 gig signal's focal length would be different than the 2.4 one.
Thanks again,
Jim
WA5TEF

The focal point of a parabola does not change with frequency. However the gain will.
Given that gain is inversely proportional to wavelength in this case, the 5.8 GHz signal would see more gain. This maybe offset by the low-precision and various producers of these devices.

The focal point of a parabola does not change with frequency. However the gain will.
Given that gain is inversely proportional to wavelength in this case, the 5.8 GHz signal would see more gain. This maybe offset by the low-precision and various producers of these devices.
Yeah, I figured that out right after I posted the question.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

NOTICE!! I stand corrected on the 5.8 gig focal length! It is true that the focal length is not relative to the frequency, only the shorter the wavelength, thus higher frequency, the more the forward gain. If one compares RF to light for example, it becomes obvious. Sorry for the misstatement earlier.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic