Pano Stitching Software

Reaction score
Hi I am new to the Phantom and want to do some 360 panos. Yesterday I did one in a country park manually with the DJI GO app. When I used to do landscape photography a few years back I purchased PTGui Pro and I think I have version 7 or 8.

Is it still a great tool for pano stitching? I can upgrade to the latest version 10 for £46.80 inc tax. Just seeing if I really need to spend that for a few panos.

Also wondering about sticking with manual or using DronePan or Litchi, any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,
Nick

I use MS ICE for stitching and then process the image in other more "feature rich" programs.

I love Drone Pan and have used it for many months now. I use Litchi but have not used it for Panos at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_Flys
I use MS ICE for stitching and then process the image in other more "feature rich" programs.

I love Drone Pan and have used it for many months now. I use Litchi but have not used it for Panos at all.

Thanks so much for the ICE link. I have been playing with different apps trail versions. After watching their promo video I think this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much for the ICE link. I have been playing with different apps trail versions. After watching their promo video I think this is exactly what I'm looking for.

You're very welcome. I've used it for hundreds of panos and it does a good job. I even learned to shoot AEB panos and used ICE to stitch them together as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Those who know say PTGui is fantastic for stitching. MS ICE is great and free, so I'm happy with it for now. Only thing I really wish was different is I can't figure out any way to do any postprocessing to the images and still get them into a 360 pano, which is the only way to fly for drone panos. In ICE, you can upload to Photosynth, which lets you view, post and share 360 panos. But, I can't find any way to save the pano after stitching and before Photosynth, so I'm pretty much stuck with the photos as they come off the bird. And I don't think it's practical to try to edit all the individual photos the same way - that would take forever! But since you've already got PTGui, you're made in the shade.

Actually *taking* the pano is pretty low-tech, and DronePan is fast and easy. I would recommend *not* shooting in RAW+JPG since the stitching is easier/pano is better when your drone stays in relatively the same place. JPGs shoot much quicker, giving the drone less opportunity to drift, and I at least am not getting any benefit from RAW anyway, so JPGs it is for me.

You can make a Tiny Planet (search them here) with ICE and other apps if you take a low-altitude pano - fun! But - it sometimes is hard to stitch with low-altitude panos since any drift can make for a real stitching issue. If it's important, I try to take two panos.

And there may be better techniques, but I've been setting ISO/exposure/white balance manually so there's no difference between frames.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I tried PTGui and it just worked the first time. However, being cheap and preferring to spend the money on another battery, I tried the free Hugin and I also managed to get good results with it, but it definitely typically takes a bunch more fiddling. That said, I want to try MS ICE, it looks interesting! Wonder how terrible it would be in a VM...

I used AutoLogic's Autopilot to take the pictures.

I've used hug in with good results. ICE looks great, wish there was a Mac version.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4