Panic?

Reaction score
What do you do when you get in a panic mode and can't land your phantom 2 in a hurry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13].

Nothing yet.. Just wanted to know what to do if I couldn't control it?

Failsafe/RTH as your last resort

1. Turn off transmitter
2. Close your eye. And say

Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
Save me from this road I'm on
Jesus take the wheel

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Let go of the sticks, take a breath and try to determine the front of the aircraft (the blinking red lights). Slowly move it in a safe direction, then lower to the ground. But stop right where you are before you do anything.

To return the P2 to the homepoint if signal is lost

How do I set it ? I know there dumb questions!! Thanks for the right answers..

When in trouble,
Or in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and shout.

(Robert Heinlein)

The first thing to do is understand the RTH function and set the RTH height appropriately.
That's also the second and third thing to do.
iu

The next thing to do in a Panic Mode is not to panic.
The next thing to after that is to do nothing - hands off the sticks and buttons until you THINK of an issue you are trying to solve by issuing a command.

Now, the hard part - what is wrong? If the bird is spiralling down to the ground and you don't know why grabbing a control and wiggling it is unlikely to be beneficial. If you have just lost signal, again stop what you are doing. Wait a sec. Move the controller a few feet in a couple of directions, make sure that your antennas are oriented correctly (you have read the part in the manual about antenna orientation, right?)

If you get control back, this is an excellent time to manually fly back to base while practicing Tantric Breathing Exercises. If no joy, hit the RTH button on the controller. Then leave it alone. Mashing on the RTH button will turn it on. Then off. Then wait. I suspect that a number of Phantoms have been needlessly crashed because the operator eventually turned the RTH button on and subsequently off and that eventually the craft attempted a low battery RTH and didn't make it.

Turning the controller on and off might help but is unnecessary - again RTH will work unless your height is set wrong or you are working against a dwindling battery and the wind. Give the Phantom some time to get back. Although we are not working at relativistic speeds, time dilation seems to be a problem noticed by many UAV pilots.

A quick 'Loss of Control' checklist might look something like this:

Move controller back and forth several feet
Check antenna orientation
Check tablet cable
Consider activating RTH

Last edited:
Reactions: launchpad26
Set the return home height in the go app to well above any obstacle in your area and before you take off, make sure it says its safe to fly in GPS mode then if you lose control it should come home safely. That's what I do anyway, lots of flights, a few "signal lost return to home" messages and I'm still happy.

Guys, the OP asked about his P2. Let's not get confused.;)

The RTH feature is activated in NAZA mode. You set the RTH altitude on a P2 while connected to a computer in the DJI Assistant.

The RTH feature can be activated by the S2 switch on the transmitter, if the aircraft loses signal, or if you turn off the transmitter. Good luck, and don't panic!:cool:

What do you do when you get in a panic mode and can't land your phantom 2 in a hurry?
That's a strange question ... do you fly a Phantom?
It's strange because anyone that flies one knows that if you take your hands off the sticks, it's like hitting a pause button.
And ... the concern is that you can't land in a hurry?
So land a little slower. Landing in a hurry isn't something that usually worries Phantom pilots.

Reactions: henick
Unless something is broken I guess. I find the first thing I do is freeze hands and study telemetry and signal data to make an informed decision...

if vertical speed is 0ish, re-lax ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20