Painting Props

Reaction score
I just painted the underside of a set of prop then realized that if I was a bit sloppy the balance will be off. Now I'm not sure if I should use them or not. I used a spray enamel paint - At least I didn't use a brush :?

So was it a good idea on not?

Probably not the best ideate honest, look up youtube videos re. balancing props / painting them. might give you some insight

I painted them black as a test-case and balanced them of course. It works fine and the paint is staying on for the time being.
To balance the props i use sandpaper to take away the excess paint on the bottom face side.
No further comment.

So what is the worst that can happen with poorly balanced props?

If they are way out of balance I'll see it even before takeoff and certainly during the initial hover.

Do I need to worry about fly-aways?

Worry about vibration that destroys anything that is vulnerable to it in the long run faster than you can predict.
If not detected in time will end up in total loss.
So balancing is really important.
I did fly with the painted not balanced props and worked out fine. It depends on that the paint is distributed evenly as possible on the blades.
A balancing rod is easy to make.
I toke a 5mm metal piece 20cm long.
On one end i made 3 turns of masking tape that doesn't damage the thread but the masking tape will provide a snug fit.
Its easy, cheap and if you have the 2 items very quick to make.

WyattEarp said:
So what is the worst that can happen with poorly balanced props?

If they are way out of balance I'll see it even before takeoff and certainly during the initial hover.

Do I need to worry about fly-aways?

Fly-away? Don't know.

If you really mean erratic or loss of control? Possibly.

The IMU senses inertia and other forces so any vibration of sufficient magnitude (and no I do not know what sufficient equates to) will cause problems with its measurement(s). How that manifests itself in a particular application or situation is likely hard to predict.

Vibration - less is better esp. with lower tier MCs.

No..not a good idea at all. I use colored permanent markers to dress mine up. It works ok and as long as you are 5ft away they'll look just fine. I would think you could soak the painted props in water to remove the paint. Otherwise throw them away so they don't cause anymore grief then needed. The paint you used will not adhere very well and begin coming off the 1st time you have any type of contact with them. Even a simple tip over in the grass when shutting down. They will chip, and then comes the out of balance which will stress the motors internally.

No worries about fly aways as long as motors can hold rpm against the wind currents above.

Did you paint the entire under surface or just the tips?
I have a Du Bro stand and balance rod for self tightening props, I'll balance the props for you if you want to send them. I'm in Texas.
I painted the tips of a set of props and then balanced them and they fly fine. But like others have pointed out you have to check them regularly to make sure you're not losing any paint.

When painting your props, mask them off as needed (I use the blue Scotch tape) and paint with several LIGHT coats of spray. I use the stuff made for plastic that for some reason I am drawing a blank on at the moment (Think its a Krylon product). Against, SEVERAL LIGHT COATS is best, and I usually try to stick with satin as it is less prone to runs, though I do occasionally do gloss. I have never had my props wind up out of balance, but I am only painting the very tips.

Without a doubt the props are the last thing you should paint. Spinning at high rpm. Providing all the lift to keep the Phantom in the air. Providing all the control to keep it stable. Why mess with the prop aerodynamics. You have to ask yourself - did I buy it to fly or did I buy it look at.

I have been painting props for 30+ years. Usually I am just decorating the tips, but I have occasionally painted a complete prop. Just do a series of light coats and check prop balance after the paint has dried. Never had an issue.

I too have painted many props, not just for eye appeal, but often to make the prop more visible while it is spinning. Black tends to disapear, but yellow and red usually make the spinning prop easier to see. I only paint the tips. Don't remember ever painting a whole prop.

What about using mono cote tape? If one just did the tips and weighed out the tape for each side, you would think the prop would still be balanced (if it was balanced prior, of course).

Any paint no matter how small the amount is can effect the balance of the propeller. Not to mention the aerodynamics. The propeller is a wing and if its surface is different than it was originaly engineered that affect the flight performance. Your bird could come down like a rock... same goes to stickers. Use propeller balancers at least!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just painted the underside of a set of prop then realized that if I was a bit sloppy the balance will be off. Now I'm not sure if I should use them or not. I used a spray enamel paint - At least I didn't use a brush :?

So was it a good idea on not?
Just use RIT CLOTHING DIE....

1483011055080.jpg

I just use a pen but I have ordered rit dye and will dye the other props when it arrives

Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj