Painting Propeller Tips Red

gunslinger said:
Larry L said:
IflyinWY said:
Well in my infinite experience with balancing props, I have to add this; To dye or not to dye, that is the

What about masking props and painting them while they are spinning? Wouldn't you get a more even distribution of paint/weight?

I'm thinking that's about a half cents worth of info. :)
Do it outside as I think painting them while spinning will definitely distribute paint evenly on to everything around you :D

I would think a brown paint would be appropriate for this particular application... :D

-slinger

Okay funnie guys. I won't be spray painting my props, inside or outside. Butt really Slinger, brown? I get enough B.S. on my bird without having to add paint or dye.

The bad news these days... unless the B.S. is really fresh, it's frozen. :lol: I'd rather have brown props than broken ones :cry:

I liked the way the dye looked, I balanced a new set and did another job. Scarlet and Royal Blue. Only problem this time was a blue thumb nail. Forgot the latex gloves.
To my surprise only one DJI rotor needed adjustment for balance.

Attachments

• 100_0175.JPG
    100_0175.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 516
Looks good Happy.

I have sprayed the underside of the two front props day glow red, this really helps on this visibility.

I did the other day paint the tops tips of all blades yellow, but I am going to take this off as its introduced a very slight vibration causing a little jello effect every now and again. Also I could not see the tips when spinning.

Happyflyer said:
I liked the way the dye looked, I balanced a new set and did another job. Scarlet and Royal Blue. Only problem this time was a blue thumb nail. Forgot the latex gloves.

Have you experimented with concentrated liquid dye?

Thanks, Larry L. Happy some one thought up the dye job.

When I went to the craft store there were a lot of different brands of dyes, mostly powder. The other brands had a lot more vibrant colors that the Rit Dye. I was thinking of trying some of the bright colors. My daughter was a volleyball player in school and club ball and the club teams usually made their own shirts by dying or tie dying them and with that experince that I always got roped into helping with, the powdered dyes always came out better, color wise that the liquids.

Rustynuts said:
When I went to the craft store there were a lot of different brands of dyes, mostly powder. The other brands had a lot more vibrant colors that the Rit Dye. I was thinking of trying some of the bright colors. My daughter was a volleyball player in school and club ball and the club teams usually made their own shirts by dying or tie dying them and with that experince that I always got roped into helping with, the powdered dyes always came out better, color wise that the liquids.

I've found a massive selection of RIT dyes on Amazon, many available with Prime shipping, and many liquid. But the "tie dye" colors seem a lot more interesting because they're usually a lot more vibrant. Great idea! :)

Don't know what craft stores you have in your area but I got mine at a Joanne's and the Rit powder was only $2.23 for each pack, about half the price I saw on Amazon. I beleive Wal-Marts also carry it but I won't go there. Our Joanne's also had two othe brands with very bright colors.

Happyflyer said:
My Scarlet didn't turn out nearly as red. I put a good amount of powder in there, but mine is more...rose red. Did you use the liquid or powder version of Rit?

dptcalvin said:
My Scarlet didn't turn out nearly as red. I put a good amount of powder in there, but mine is more...rose red. Did you use the liquid or powder version of Rit?
Powder. And only about a tea spoon level with enough water to cover the rotors. Very warm water at first. Then a litle cold and let set 1/2 hour.

The trick to getting the right color is to not leave them in too long. Since the base color is white it will be a brighter color if not dyed as long. You can always make them darker by putting them back in longer.

Did mine last night, only had 2 colours to choose from at the grocery store in my small town, navy blue or black.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452718625.748242.jpg

Reactions: RadRich
I had some families together that wanted to see my P4 so I thought about using a red and black sharpie to draw alternating stripes on the bottom of props. No affect on vibration what so ever. And it looks cool when around 10' or so, red really shows up well. But after a month you can see sharpies don't hold color well, need re-do. But just about every kid comes up and wants to fly the darn thing.
Prop Wash.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers