Painting Propeller Tips Red

Reaction score
I'm interested in painting the tips of my new 9450 props bright red so you can see the ring when they rotate.

Does anyone know of a good method and a good paint do this so it looks clean and neat? Also, what paint is bright but won't unbalance the props?

I was thinking the same thing, only in blue.

I carry 8 blades in a clear plastic tube with rubber endcaps (Tap Plastics, around $4) but for some reason, I felt the need to differentiate between two sets so I made small marks on the bottom with a blue Sharpie. The marks are permanent and, weeks later, still vivid.

I'm going to measure and mask the tips, then hit them with the Sharpie. No weight problem and easy touch-ups. What's not to like?

Note to mods: I am not employed by or affiliated in any way with Tap Plastics, that fantastic plastic place, or Sharpie, (uncap what's inside.)

Make yourself some sort of stand out of a wire clothes hanger so you can somehow stand a propeller on end.

Then get some red clothes dye (RIT makes it) and boil up a pot however deep you want your painted area to be.

Put your prop holding contraption in the pot and set the prop in. Allow the prop to absorb the dye for about 10 minutes and remove. Allow the prop to dry with the dyed end down before you flip it over to do the other side (don't want it to run)

Repeat the process until all your props are done.

I used to do this to dye plastic RC car parts like control arms and wheels. Works like a charm and you don't have to worry about the paint scratching off and looking like crap after a while. Oh, and there's no problem with the props getting out of balance.

Here you go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFif1YXe6CE

Reactions: Apilot101
4wd said:
I can see why you might want to, but it would be easy to make them slightly unbalanced especially with the added weight being at the end.
This could introduce some jello to video.

I don't think using a sharpie or a die would. However, I can see where painting them with some type of model paint or something might.

DJI offers props tipped in Red, Blue or Pink now....I wonder how they are doing it. To me they look painted and I doubt they are balanced by hand.

https://store.dji.com/product/e300-9443-props-red

medium-1-c1a6e5a5d9d51797ef5ba4a0fd3c051a.jpg

Rustynuts said:
DJI offers props tipped in Red, Blue or Pink now....I wonder how they are doing it. To me they look painted and I doubt they are balanced by hand.

https://store.dji.com/product/e300-9443-props-red

medium-1-c1a6e5a5d9d51797ef5ba4a0fd3c051a.jpg
Problem with the ones from DJI is that the color is only on the top so it is usually not visible in flight. I have purchased some green and orange 9450 props to help with orientation but when they are spinning at full speed you can hardly see the color.

Looks good Dirk, where do I send mine?

Those look great!

Larry L said:
Looks good Dirk, where do I send mine?
Send money to me, I'll send you his address! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Talk about blackmail........
I hate to ask Dirk, but did you do the underside? :?:

I was just searching about using Rit Dye last night. I came across this pic and the guy did all the coloring with Rit Dye and has had zero problems. He just dipped the whole prop with hub as the dye does not take to metal. I was thinking tips at first, but I would think black props in front may make it easier to determine direction at times.

f95e051bd01fa0e2050c18faaa52ed7c_zpsa4b036c3.jpg

Yes, interesting idea.

I am going to try it this weekend with some prop guards I have but never used and some old chewed up FC40 props that came with a crashed copter I bought. I have read that on parts that don't like to take the dye to add acetone to the water but only up to 30% max but really don't like that thought on props.

Green_Phantom said:
dirkclod said:
Wonder how long those guards had to sit in dye ?

Check the video I linked to on the 1st page. It doesn't take long. 10 minutes tops.
I watched it last night. Pretty cool. I would wind up dyeing my counters, fingers, dogs, cat & maybe my props. :lol: :D

Reactions: bad karma
Well in my infinite experience with balancing props, I have to add this; To dye or not to dye, that is the question.

Dye adds virtually no weight. Paint, yea, it's going to change things drastically.

What about masking props and painting them while they are spinning? Wouldn't you get a more even distribution of paint/weight?

I'm thinking that's about a half cents worth of info. :)

Reactions: GMayberry
Larry L said:
Green_Phantom said:
dirkclod said:
Wonder how long those guards had to sit in dye ?

Check the video I linked to on the 1st page. It doesn't take long. 10 minutes tops.
I watched it last night. Pretty cool. I would wind up dyeing my counters, fingers, dogs, cat & maybe my props. :lol: :D

Post pics of dyed collateral damage when done. :)

I think people make a bit too much of the whole balancing thing.

I spray painted all my original DJI 8" and 9" props satin black with standard spray paint from the hardware store. No change in balance at all. I also painted the hubs. You can see the black and silver threads on the underside anyway. Added a yellow marker on the tip of the blades with small strips of model covering vinyl(Oracover). Weighs practically nothing and didn't do anything to the balance.
Result is that they look like carbon blades while maintaining all the goodness of the originals.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj