Painting Phantom 3

Reaction score
Anyone know the best way to remove the GPS from the landing legs? Or can you paint over the GPS sensor bar?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

arghh damnit thats what i meant. i saw a video where a guy said removing the COMPASS (lol) was alittle more involved. But he also said you dont want to get paint on it...

Paint usually do not contain magnetic materials so it should be good enough to paint the legs.

arghh damnit thats what i meant. i saw a video where a guy said removing the COMPASS (lol) was alittle more involved. But he also said you dont want to get paint on it...

I painted my P3, including the compass with Krylon made for plastic almost a year ago. Works fine and doesn't come off. I had the shell apart for other reasons. I would probably apply a skin if there was no other reason to take it apart, unless you are really good at taping off little things.

P1010941 (800x600).jpg

I painted my P3, including the compass with Krylon made for plastic almost a year ago. Works fine and doesn't come off. I had the shell apart for other reasons. I would probably apply a skin if there was no other reason to take it apart, unless you are really good at taping off little things.

View attachment 70508
Are those props that colour because it is carbon or they painted as well??

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Are those props that colour because it is carbon or they painted as well??

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Those are Dji CF props in the picture. I have recently gone back to my painted OE props. You can put stripes on the OE props with masking tape before painting. Either way works fine. For me, both props perform the same.

quad looks grreat. ill end up carefully taping and painting with everything assembled i think. im a handy type so taping is a skill. lol

Thanks everyone
It's not too hard, but time consuming. Then it's nice to "make it your own". And it's a bit easier to see in the sky (if you paint the underside, of course.) White props in this pic.

P3 Black (640x480).jpg

Did you paint the sensor housing? If so did you mask off the vents or did you just remove the plastic housing and paint that?

Did you paint the sensor housing? If so did you mask off the vents or did you just remove the plastic housing and paint that?
I removed the upper shell (pretty easy - I had to straighten it after a crash anyway.) So it required no masking.
I masked and bagged the VPS, gimbal, motors and LED lights on the lower housing.
Painted with Krylon safe for plastic spray paint. I used satin, but gloss might be even better.
If there are any little spots not to your liking, you can touch them up with a q-tip after.
I painted the props also and it did not change their balance.
To date there has been no chipping or wear.
The paint did not adversely affect the antennas or the compass in the landing gear so paint away :)

View attachment 70508
Nice paint job.looks great

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost