PadHat sheild for IPad air review

Reaction score
PadHat for Ipad air
Ok got mine and installed it let me say the ipad air version is just ok, not great
Due to its size the sides bow out and this drops the top down to where you have to almost have it laying flat on the controller to see under it therefor it makes you lay the antennas down a few notches.
Also you will have to use the hook and loop on ipad front screen to keep sides attached in any wind as the sticky stuff just lets go. its kind of annoying having the little Velcro squares on the ipad when not in use for p3
The magnetic holder on edge works good but really not a issue as it goes into the clamp anyway
I tried adding a small piece of wire into the sides to help hold up but this has had little effect
I think for our purpose if the sides had a hard insert in them it would work perfect but would limit the fold up to just in half (this would be ok as would still fit in most cases)

My recommendation is it will do if nothing else available and is light weight but the angle is tuff on the controller.

I also have this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261808442882?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=560671871528&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

and although I had to cut a little out on back to fit into controller holder and is a little heaver I do like it better

IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG
IMG_1397.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: FredSheldon
I just returned the one I bought for similar issues with it. Just didn't care for the sloppy fit and it sorta blocked my charge port and the speakers.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
PadHat shades are the only shades currently on the market that actually block glare and shade.

They have a deliberate soft construction for many reasons including weight and portability. They are lighter by almost half or more than the shades that do not work and can cost up to $100.

What is referred to as "a sloppy fit" is actually the fact that the shades are designed to sit mostly on the top of the iPad for access to ports and buttons and tapered towards the back for those who are not pilots and wish to carry the iPad with one or both hands.

Originally designed for all iPad users we were discovered en masse by pilots in mid February.

Since then we have worked with DJI pilots to adapt it to their needs including adding Loop velcro wing tab tops for a stronger hold under more rigorous conditions.

We are working on a "Pro" model we will seed to pilots for testing and feedback before we put into production. We hope to have out by the end of the year if not sooner.

We did issue skyhighdiver a full refund even though it was altered voiding the full year guarantee against defects in materials and construction. Not to mention we have a 30 day unconditional guarantee.

Best Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

Reactions: PortlandPicture
I was going to say that it's not installed properly in the pic above. The back tab does not go "behind" the iPad, it sits "on top of" the back of it. I'm surprised you got it to pick up the magnetic strip at all.

I was going to say that it's not installed properly in the pic above. The back tab does not go "behind" the iPad, it sits "on top of" the back of it. I'm surprised you got it to pick up the magnetic strip at all.
Are you sure. The instructions say:

4. Hold PadHat with MagBar behind top edge of iPad.
5. Place MagBar against top back edge of iPad.
It will click in place.

I believe it says to install back tab BEHIND the top edge not ON TOP OF. I could be wrong.

Seems like the structural issues could be mitigated with some light intermittent boning (be adults, that's what it's called!) in the top and sides to keep it stiff (quit snickering!), while allowing you to still fold it up.

In all seriousness, perhaps that's what the 'Pro' offers; just seems like an easy thing to fix.

Hello. The magnetic PadHat attaches like a Smart Cover. That means the magbar will attach along the back rounded edge when the Home button is on the left. We see how it can appear confusing because it is not exactly on the back, but on the rounded edge. The original Hoodi shade from 2013 did sit on the back surface. We hope that clears it up and we thank everyone for helping to clarify.

Best Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

Seems like the structural issues could be mitigated with some light intermittent boning (be adults, that's what it's called!) in the top and sides to keep it stiff (quit snickering!), while allowing you to still fold it up.

In all seriousness, perhaps that's what the 'Pro' offers; just seems like an easy thing to fix.
We have been "boning up" on pilot needs and the Pro version will have solutions to many of the suggestions and observations we have encountered that deal directly with pilot needs. Of course that will entail a higher price point.

That said we have 100s of pilots using the PadHat Air with Inspire and Phantom controllers who are every pleased. We understand that means pilots have to get used to holding the controller at a different angle which is frustrating for some, however that is an issue of physics. Shade and height and angle are relative to the surface of the display to actually block glare and reflection.

Best Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

We have been "boning up" on pilot needs and the Pro version will have solutions to many of the suggestions and observations we have encountered that deal directly with pilot needs. Of course that will entail a higher price point.

That said we have 100s of pilots using the PadHat Air with Inspire and Phantom controllers who are every pleased. We understand that means pilots have to get used to holding the controller at a different angle which is frustrating for some, however that is an issue of physics. Shade and height and angle are relative to the surface of the display to actually block glare and reflection.

Best Regards,
The HoodiVision Team
Glad to see issues being addressed ;)
Higher price that works great is better than cheap that does not

Reactions: FredSheldon
I had the same successful results with my iPad Air 2. The sides are stiff enough to hold up the top and I didn't have to lay the iPad down flat to see the screen.
View attachment 23622

Looks lose and droopy to me :(
also the angle you show is great till its around your neck and controller then rests on your torso
and your trying to look at full screen. Then you need to tilt it back further or lift up to look under
Just saying:confused:

Looks lose and droopy to me :(
also the angle you show is great till its around your neck and controller then rests on your torso
and your trying to look at full screen. Then you need to tilt it back further or lift up to look under
Just saying:confused:
You may be right. I haven't been out in the field with it yet. I assumed you just tip the RC forward to view the top of the screen rather than laying the iPad down flat on the controller. Some air time will be required for a complete analysis.

You may be right. I haven't been out in the field with it yet. I assumed you just tip the RC forward to view the top of the screen rather than laying the iPad down flat on the controller. Some air time will be required for a complete analysis.
Yes this can be done but
then you have sent your antennas to a facing down position with the ends pointing to bird
the worst way to have them as the tips are the dead spot
This is the drawback to the padhat current design on a ipad air

the padhat for ipad mini is a whole different animal as due to the smaller screen size you can lay it down flat as needed and all is well

Glad to see issues being addressed ;)
Higher price that works great is better than cheap that does not

We have been listening to and addressing pilot needs since February on the Inspire blog.

We will take the high road and assume that "cheap" refers to all the competitor shades that do not work and not the PadHat that does.

Yes this can be done but
then you have sent your antennas to a facing down position with the ends pointing to bird
the worst way to have them as the tips are the dead spot
This is the drawback to the padhat current design on a ipad air

the padhat for ipad mini is a whole different animal as due to the smaller screen size you can lay it down flat as needed and all is well
We are are confused as to why it is so hard to understand that the shade height and angle relative to the iPad is determined by physics. The closer the angle moves to 90 degrees, the higher the shade height must be to actually block glare and reflection. That is why none of the shades on the market for DJI controllers work, including all 90 degree shades, except the PadHat.

The PadHat is deliberately designed to bow out on the sides for better hand access.

You have stated that you can fly about a mile with the PadHat Air before losing antenna reception. We have other pilots who have gone 2+ miles without any problem. We have also said we welcome any and all reports of reception problems. Yours is the only one we have received to date.

You received a full refund even though you voided the guarantee by altering the PadHat and a personal phone call from our CEO.

The vast majority of comments are by those who are very pleased with their PadHat Air and Mini shades and our customer service.

Please let us know what you find out and send to [email protected]. It would be greatly appreciated.

We encourage any and all PadHat owners to send us feedback, suggestions and observations. All we ask is to keep comments constructive and respectful. Fortunately most do.

Best Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

We are are confused as to why it is so hard to understand that the shade height and angle relative to the iPad is determined by physics. The closer the angle moves to 90 degrees, the higher the shade height must be to actually block glare and reflection. That is why none of the shades on the market for DJI controllers work, including all 90 degree shades, except the PadHat.

The PadHat is deliberately designed to bow out on the sides for better hand access.

You have stated that you can fly about a mile with the PadHat Air before losing antenna reception. We have other pilots who have gone 2+ miles without any problem. We have also said we welcome any and all reports of reception problems. Yours is the only one we have received to date.

You received a full refund even though you voided the guarantee by altering the PadHat and a personal phone call from our CEO.

The vast majority of comments are by those who are very pleased with their PadHat Air and Mini shades and our customer service.

Key words vast majoriy not all

So because you gave me my money back Im suppose to shut up and can no longer comment on my experience with your product.
I have stated over and over your ipad mini product is great .It allows good angle and due to its smaller size stays upright as needed

The product for the ipad air I find not worth the cash! as you stated due to the PHYSICS the angle must be what it is. ok fine

I then state due to the angle needed for your product to work and have the antennas at a acceptable angle ( not just my judgment but also DJI)
that you have to either hold the controller above your face or hold it out away from your body at arms length
If your not worried about reception and are flying line of sight maybe not a issue But as I have found you get less distance with your product on and the antennas facing down to accommodate it.

And yes I did receive a call from your CEO which I was not going to bring up due to the fact I did not think you would want the general public to know. But since you bring it up in a open forum . This was a very very unprofessional and unsolicited call, made to me in the middle of a weekend while I was out with my family. Which basically was made to say, we will give you your money back, stop bashing us. As in your words, one bad review can kill a product . Didn't matter that is was a true review. Just that you didn't agree
and a few ( professional probably given padhat free to use) people have giving it rave reviews and because I didn't agree with you the call went south from there.
So I still stand by my review and all my statements and I will not be stifled by some California bully who thinks because he makes a product we all have like it no matter what its downfalls.
IMG_1443.JPG

Last edited:
I can understand the issue with it being a little too floppy but mine works great for me on my air 2. The angle is the reason it works even if you do have to view at an angle. Does not matter how bright it is out I can see my air 2 crystal clear and that is what matters to me.

I can understand the issue with it being a little too floppy but mine works great for me on my air 2. The angle is the reason it works even if you do have to view at an angle. Does not matter how bright it is out I can see my air 2 crystal clear and that is what matters to me.
And like I have stated to the Pat had representative who keeps attacking me on here some people may like it I'm giving my review and my personal experiences but he can't seem to except that somebody thinks other than the way he does about his product

Reactions: AmosMoses

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic