P4pro high wind hand catch landing

Reaction score
Iam new to drone flying ( 40-45 flights with my p4)

Today i was flying my p4pro in a slight strong wind ... when i got the onscreen warning about high wind , i decided to hand catch my drone & switch the power off by holding the throttle nob down .

To my utter shock & surprise ... instead of cutting off the power ... it gave the drone allmost double power while the drone was still in my hands [emoji37]

At the time this was happening ... i panicked & had no idea what to do with just one hand . The drone sensors could not gather that the drone has been "hand catched " .

My suggestion to other fellow members is tobe cautious about "high wind " "hand catch landings"

Cheers & safe flying to all [emoji111]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It had nothing to do with wind. What your aircraft was probably doing was, the altimeter sensor thought your hand/arm/body was the ground and was trying to ascend back up to height. This is normal and happens with Phantom 4's and Mavics, as well.

Just hold the Phantom tight while pulling the throttle stick all the way down for a few seconds. That will turn off the motors.

Yes this is normal. I hand catch every landing. I grab it it tight from the corner so my grip is on the bottom and the side so I can stabilize it easier till it shuts down.

At what altitude (height) will pulling and holding the left joystick down NOT stop the propellers??

At what altitude (height) will pulling and holding the left joystick down NOT stop the propellers??
In flight IMU and barometer senses the bird is in a decent and the props will not stop, I often do the left stick down all the way to lose altitude quickly. The props will only stop when the craft knows it is not losing altitude and motion is fairly still. Some time ago when my wife was hand catching for me she decided to fool around and grabbed the craft by the legs and started moving it around and tried to walk away before the motors shut down, well the P4 was peaved off and tried to go back to the original location even when I had left stick down, she quickly discovered that our little bird can really pull hard. So when hand catching you have to keep still for a couple of seconds and the motors will only shut down then.

Reactions: Travels with Yoly
To my utter shock & surprise ... instead of cutting off the power ... it gave the drone allmost double power while the drone was still in my hands

At the time this was happening ... i panicked & had no idea what to do with just one hand . The drone sensors could not gather that the drone has been "hand catched ".
The High Wind warning was a false alarm - some limit in the firmware is set too low and everyone is getting that.

The problem you encountered will be because you didn't hold the Phantom steady and level and it was fighting to level itself and maintain position.
To hand catch you have to hold it level with the left stick down for three seconds to shut down.
If you let it wobble it won't shut down.
It's not an altitude thing.
The Phantom can be shut down at any altitude ... as long as it's sitting level and steady for 3 seconds with the left stick down.
Left stick down is the normal and safe method of descending and will never shut down the motors in the air.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20