P4P vs P4A ... what's the difference?

Reaction score
I just read the DJI P4A release and I'm kinda baffled. It looks just like the P4P a little cheaper to my simple brain. Anybody got deeper insight?

Asked and answered. According to DJI online chat the only major difference is the number of sensors. The P4A has only down and forward sensors. Probably kill the P4P.

I'm quite disappointed they have bothered at all with a p4a, and tbh the price is not even good, I don't know why anyone forking out that sort of money wouldn't just get a pro version for the tiny fraction more, each to their own but personally I'm disappointed in what dji have just released

I like the idea of dumping the side and rear sensors because they seem fairly useless for 99.9% of the flying I do (LOS) but I wish DJI would focus its energy on making their releases something of a step forward, not back. Why didn't they just release this option at the same time as P4P and why is Autel giving us the option of plug-n-play cameras while DJI seems to be swimming in place?

Asked and answered. According to DJI online chat the only major difference is the number of sensors. The P4A has only down and forward sensors. Probably kill the P4P.
Kill the p4p? LOL, not gonna happen. The p4a has no backward tap to fly, no 5.8ghz, and no side or back sensors. It's basically a glorified phantom 4. Kill p4p? Not gonna happen.

I like the idea of dumping the side and rear sensors because they seem fairly useless for 99.9% of the flying I do (LOS) but I wish DJI would focus its energy on making their releases something of a step forward, not back. Why didn't they just release this option at the same time as P4P and why is Autel giving us the option of plug-n-play cameras while DJI seems to be swimming in place?

Exactly my point why go backwards and like u said why not just realise at the same time as the pro, or even before the pro version. Your right the side sensors are rubbish but the back sensor is massive

All they really did is change the camera but my point is why not fork out the couple hundred dollars extra for the pro, as it is the price of the advanced is more expensive then what I paid for my pro version as I got a awesome deal on a brand new pro that was like more then $500 below retail which still till now I don't see the pro as cheap as the price I paid, to give u an example I got a brand new p4p not long after it was released for $2050 aud I was a bit sceptical on it but it was legit and it doesn't matter who u get from grey import or not they are covered by warranty- I know this because I got a replacement under warranty after a motor malfunction plus I was still able to get dji care refresh

Kill the p4p? LOL, not gonna happen. The p4a has no backward tap to fly, no 5.8ghz, and no side or back sensors. It's basically a glorified phantom 4. Kill p4p? Not gonna happen.

Agreed this won't even touch the p4p in sales or have an impact imo, honestly I think it's a fail on dji part as the price is not even that great, I just can't justify the purchase of a p4a in any situation

No chance to kill the p4p, in fact I'd be surprised to see them even get that much sales in the advanced as you pay a little extra and you get a lot more features, p4p is a great bird and for them to make an advancement they would need to do some serious upgrades on features and performance

I don't think so.

Price:
* U$S 150 less

What is sacrificed:
* Rear sensors
* Side sensors
* 5.8GHz band (the most important lost feature to me)

I prefer to have one battery less in my backpack, but retain the 5.8GHz capability, and the sensors (one never know when we need they). To me, U$S 150 cheap is not enough for the missing features.

Reactions: DronePilotOne
Why would they even mess with it!! This one should have been before the P4P if they were trying to reel more folks in. They must just be trying to get rid of a bunch of older P4 bodies. LOL

Why would they even mess with it!! This one should have been before the P4P if they were trying to reel more folks in. They must just be trying to get rid of a bunch of older P4 bodies. LOL

Agreed, imagine they realised the p4a back when they announced the p4p and now they announced the pro version, I know for sure heap of people would want to trade their p4a for a p4p and that would have been great for their sales, this, is just a retarded more like u said to do something with their p4 bodies

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I don't think so.

Price:
* U$S 150 less

What is sacrificed:
* Rear sensors
* Side sensors
* 5.8GHz band (the most important lost feature to me)

I prefer to have one battery less in my backpack, but retain the 5.8GHz capability, and the sensors (one never know when we need they). To me, U$S 150 cheap is not enough for the missing features.

Exactly why would you choose p4a over p4p for $150 usd when your dumping $1600usd on a device anyway, who wouldn't spend the little extra

I figgered that would stir the pot. Thanks for all the comments. With so many vehement P4P supporters I now agree the P4P will remain on top. Until the next advance.

I figgered that would stir the pot. Thanks for all the comments. With so many vehement P4P supporters I now agree the P4P will remain on top. Until the next advance.

Not really stir the pot, it was a great question and should be one hat is asked and opened for discussion, I just personally am quite disappointed but then again I'm happy I still have the best consumer model out

Reactions: PhantomEvan
They are getting ready to do it with the Mavic too... DJI definitely seems to be going backwards here.

They are getting ready to do it with the Mavic too... DJI definitely seems to be going backwards here.

Now the mavic as a standard is something I would consider, only because the mavic pro has a decent price tag, well worth though but if I could a portable unit like mavic strictly for portability and a cheap price tag, that's something I'd consider because for images and videos I have the p4p but if I want a portable device that performs well then I'd consider the mavic standard

My guess is that marketing has the most to do with why the P4A came out. Now they have three price points for the Phantom line (not counting the + options) and that gives them a range where some would sell better at Walmart, some at Best Buy (or other brick & mortar electronics stores) and some through Amazon/B&H/etc.. It does seem crazy to me not to spend an extra $150 for the P4P features but sometimes the slightly smaller price point fills a sales niche.

Reactions: On_Bail_Cuz
Now the mavic as a standard is something I would consider, only because the mavic pro has a decent price tag, well worth though but if I could a portable unit like mavic strictly for portability and a cheap price tag, that's something I'd consider because for images and videos I have the p4p but if I want a portable device that performs well then I'd consider the mavic standard
Agreed, and that is the exact reason I purchased one, my Inspire 1 Pro is just too much to casually lug around in the car. The Mavic stays with me all the time. DJI should have released a plain old Mavic first then come out with the Pro version later not the other way around, that way you're always excited about a new release... not let down.

Agreed, and that is the exact reason I purchased one, my Inspire 1 Pro is just too much to casually lug around in the car. The Mavic stays with me all the time. DJI should have released a plain old Mavic first then come out with the Pro version later not the other way around, that way you're always excited about a new release... not let down.

Definitely agree 100% but for me as a hobbyist I can't afford to spend on the price of the mavic as I have the p4p and some people don't have money to splash around, but I do agree because people who want the latest and greatest would instantly swap and pay the difference once they had the standard mavic and the pro was released which is why I don't get why they are going 3 steps forward and then 4 months later taking 1 step back, on a side note I think it will be at least 4+ months before a better model of p4p is released like a p5 will have to have some great upgrades to make it worthwhile to get, really the p4p was a massive upgrade and I'm not sure how they will top that by much besides battery life and a few other little things like the side sensors the same as the front and rear and potentially a 360 camera

What features would u guys like to see in a potential p5? I'm curious to what more people would want or they could offer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj