P4P-specific goggles issues

Reaction score
For some reason the 'DJI GOGGLES Release limited resale' seems to have been deleted by a mod for unknown reasons, wherein among other things we were discussing P4P-specific use of the newly-announced DJI FPV goggles.

One of the issues being discussed was whether the optional HDMI board would be needed for the P4P. It was reported that a DJI chat agent said 'no', but that is conflicts with official DJI information I've found. The DJI press release isn't very clear in that it states the the USB port on the P4P can be used for head-tracking functions, but doesn't mention video. Furthermore in the video press release, at 3:50 it seems to be pretty much stated that the P4 series does in fact require an HDMI interface.

Anyway, I thought I'd start this thread so we can track this and whatever other whatever other information is uncovered related to use of the P4P with the DJI FPV goggles.

DJI Info page: Buy DJI Goggles

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Per the DJI goggles FAQ, the goggles can be connected via USB or HDMI. You'd need the HDMI output module to connect via HDMI (if using the P4P remote controller). If connecting via USB, I'm assuming that means the goggles take the place of your mobile device. DJI does not explain that point well.

Reactions: jsoupene
Per the DJI goggles FAQ, the goggles can be connected via USB or HDMI. You'd need the HDMI output module to connect via HDMI (if using the P4P remote controller). If connecting via USB, I'm assuming that means the goggles take the place of your mobile device. DJI does not explain that point well.
I think it's actually USB and HDMI for the P4P (USB for the head tracking and control functions, and HDMI for video.) Since there are two USB ports on the P4P controller it also isn't clear whether the goggles can take the place of a mobile device, or must take the place of a mobile device. Unfortunately all of the information and FAQs I've seen so far seem to be Mavic-centric, with little or no specific information on P4P and Inspire support other than 'it's compatible', whatever that means exactly.

The FAQ shows the P4 is also compatible and that only has one USB port with the HDMI output module attached. So, if they do require both USB and HDMI, then it's going to have to take the place of the mobile device.

From what I read and found online, you just need the USB for the pro for tracking and video, you don't need the hdmi as well.

But I could be wrong...

The FAQ shows the P4 is also compatible and that only has one USB port with the HDMI output module attached. So, if they do require both USB and HDMI, then it's going to have to take the place of the mobile device.
Ah yes, good observation.

By the way, it looks like the instructions are online. If you look in this doc on page 6 you'll see them answer (just need USB for the pro).

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI+Goggles/20170424/DJI_Goggles_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

The rest of the docs are online now as well.
Thank you for that and you are right. It's on page 6 of the Quick Start guide and page 11 of the Operator's Manual and it states that for the Phantom 4 and Inspire 2 series the USB cable does indeed support head tracking, intelligent flight modes, and live view. What's also very interesting is that it seems to say that P4P+, P4A+, and original Inspire units connect via HDMI, and this is live view only (meaning no head tracking)?

Last edited:
Thank you for that and you are right. It's actually in page 11 and it does state that for the Phantom 4 and Inspire 2 series the USB cable does indeed support head tracking, intelligent flight modes, and live view. What's also very interesting is that it seems to say that P4P+, P4A+, and original Inspire units connect via HDMI, and this is live view only (meaning no head tracking)?

That's how I read it as well.

Wow, the DJI website says 'Out of Stock' already on the goggles. That pre-sale ordering window only lasted for a matter of hours.

I got mine ordered in time...
Now let's hope they are worth it!

For some reason the 'DJI GOGGLES Release limited resale' seems to have been deleted by a mod for unknown reasons, wherein among other things we were discussing P4P-specific use of the newly-announced DJI FPV goggles.

One of the issues being discussed was whether the optional HDMI board would be needed for the P4P. It was reported that a DJI chat agent said 'no', but that is conflicts with official DJI information I've found. The DJI press release isn't very clear in that it states the the USB port on the P4P can be used for head-tracking functions, but doesn't mention video. Furthermore in the video press release, at 3:50 it seems to be pretty much stated that the P4 series does in fact require an HDMI interface.

Anyway, I thought I'd start this thread so we can track this and whatever other whatever other information is uncovered related to use of the P4P with the DJI FPV goggles.

DJI’s $449 FPV goggles can control a drone with head movement

I'm seeing two different prices online $449 & $700 which is it

The DJI goggles are $449. You can find them on DJI's website here.

I get that the head tracking will work with the P4P which does not interest me in the least but what about the menu system that they show with the Mavic? I sure hope the menu system is not just for the Mavic. That would suck. I would like to adjust my camera settings on the fly through the goggles and touchpad on the side of them. I've not heard anybody confirm that that portion will work with the P4 series.

I get that the head tracking will work with the P4P which does not interest me in the least but what about the menu system that they show with the Mavic? I sure hope the menu system is not just for the Mavic. That would suck. I would like to adjust my camera settings on the fly through the goggles and touchpad on the side of them. I've not heard anybody confirm that that portion will work with the P4 series.
The goggles replace the control device (tablet or phone) so they pretty much have to support all of the important functions of the control device, and they do. It is all explained in the User Manual ( https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI+Goggles/20170424/DJI_Goggles_User_Manual_EN.pdf )

I stumbled upon this review of the goggles and thought I'd post a link for anyone who may not have seen it .
At first I considered getting them and I still may but I'm still to much of a newb to be able to learn a new way to access all the controls via a touchscreen but they do look pretty cool but they look like they're very large in size .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl