P4P+ screen hood needed

Reaction score
I took my first training flight today after receiving my P4P+ and getting it all set up. Sadly, the "bright" screen just isn't going to get me past my poor eyes with its small size. One reason I chose the + was all the chatter about the bright screen. I'll be doing some desert sand and bright sun work and thought it might be adequate.

Does anyone know which if any of the Hoodmans might work with the + screen? One of the phone versions maybe? I've poked around and searched and can't get anything solid already posted. I'm not sure from pictures exactly how they mount/attach so I'd be looking for solid feedback. I will definitely need something before my desert trip in 3 weeks.

Reactions: Texacola
I agree, definitely need something for mine. Coincidentally I'm heading off to several deserts here in Australia this year too!

Reactions: wildturkeyway
Wow! I thought most on here said the plus was bright enought without a screen. I have been using a Hoodman now for almost a year. Love it very much. Overpriced but love it. LOL. But I'm not sure if they have one that is mean't to fit the P4 Pro Plus yet. Did you try theyre site?

Not quite sure how many of the p4p+ owners have been out in the desert with theirs where EVERYTHING is just glare, sun reflecting off of the sand and pouring out of the sky. Snow on a bright sunny day might be similar.

Wow! I thought most on here said the plus was bright enought without a screen. I have been using a Hoodman now for almost a year. Love it very much. Overpriced but love it. LOL. But I'm not sure if they have one that is mean't to fit the P4 Pro Plus yet. Did you try theyre site?

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Not quite sure how many of the p4p+ owners have been out in the desert with theirs where EVERYTHING is just glare, sun reflecting off of the sand and pouring out of the sky. Snow on a bright sunny day might be similar.
Yes, under these kinds of conditions nothing could be bright enough. The P4P+ screen is pretty good, but everything has its limits.

I took my first training flight today after receiving my P4P+ and getting it all set up. Sadly, the "bright" screen just isn't going to get me past my poor eyes with its small size.
Did you try manually setting the brightness to the max setting? If you swipe down from the top of the screen, you'll see a setting to toggle between auto/manual brightness. I noticed mine was set to about half brightness when I set it up. It might be worth a try so you can see its full potential.

Yes, Android devices are my life. Still not bright enough in just normal direct sunlight. I think that's why they've stopped selling these on the DJI site and it looks like the new Chrystal Sky monitors are supposed to be twice as bright again.

I think that's why they've stopped selling these on the DJI site
The P4P+ remote controller is still listed on DJI's website here. It just hasn't been in stock yet. I got mine from B&H.

Yeah but not the pre-linked packages. Weren't they on there at one point and disappeared?

Ah, I see. You need to go here and then click the "BUY NOW" button to see the option with the RC screen.

Ahh my bad then sorry. I wish I hadn't of spent the extra cash on mine. I'm seriously considering getting a normal p4p controller just so I can run apps like Litchi. Grrr

Ah, I see. You need to go here and then click the "BUY NOW" button to see the option with the RC screen.

I'm sure the screen is brighter than most if not all others currently available. I think it is mostly the combo of the 5.5" size and my old eyes.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Did you try manually setting the brightness to the max setting? If you swipe down from the top of the screen, you'll see a setting to toggle between auto/manual brightness. I noticed mine was set to about half brightness when I set it up. It might be worth a try so you can see its full potential.
There's a good chance it is at less than 100% brightness...my first flight with the new bird and my first RC experience in about 30 years...I'll check this out today and report back.

Also, I'm thinking I'll work with the wife's sewing skills and some material we've got around and ghetto rig a sunshade to see how much improvement I can get.

This looks promising except the ship date is AFTER I leave for my trip *sigh*...Arrives between Mar. 22 - April 7.
I found another on Amazon from a different reseller that claims to be shipping currently.
Amazon.com: Darkhorse 5.5inch Multifunctional Sun Hood All-round Sunshade for DJI Phantom 4 Pro+ Remote Controller LCD Screen: Camera & Photo I might see what $18.99 will get me.

EDITED: Probably on the same slow boat from China after further inspection of the listing and shipping options. Back to making my own for now.

Last edited:
Default Brightness seems to be AUTO. Once I turned of AUTO brightness it was improved but I'll still need to make myself a shade to determine if my eyes are good enough to deal with the 5.5" screen and fly safely at the limits of VLOS.

Thanks everyone for the help!

DJI just released new screen 2x brighter than the p4p+ sorry guys won't fit on the4p+ can't remember it's name only just released

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan