P4P RTH sideways?!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I flew my P4P out a good distance, instead of flying it back manually I hit RTH and let it come back itself, strange thing though on my iPhone display I could visually see it was actually flying back sideways.

Its odd and not something I'm happy about as the obstacle sending won't work if its flying back sideways!

The compass is calibrated, DJI Go app flight record shows it returning back straight per the red arrow and its previously returned home normally - any thoughts?

Visually how was it returning?
It was too far out to see, I cancelled RTH and brought it back manually when I noticed on the iPhone display that it was coming back sideways.

Im guessing your thinking maybe it was only the gimbal that was sideways - Its possible but when I cancelled RTH and brought it back the gimbal didn't move and it came back in the correct orientation.

Last edited:
Ive decided to send it back - a couple times the gimbal has lost control, whether related or not I don't think my heart can take much of this..

Here's a wee video of it flying back sideways just for info.

Ive decided to send it back - a couple times the gimbal has lost control, whether related or not I don't think my heart can take much of this..

Here's a wee video of it flying back sideways just for info.

Did you happen to move the rudder stick while in RTH? It's easy enough to tell by playing back the flight with the stick movements turned on.

I'll reference this article I wrote about RTH with the P3 line. I believe RTH works the same with the P4's, but I only have a P3P.

RTH Graphic Tutorial

The Phantom will continue to RTH when the sticks are used and they all do something different during the trip. The graphic article goes in to much detail. You can pirouette the aircraft with the rudder stick to any orientation and capture video/stills while "strafing" for lack of a better term. Flying sideways/backwards and recording all while still returning to the home point.

SD

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1