P4P+ Problems with Controller Micro SD Slot

Reaction score
Came home today from a trip out of state to find a shiny new P4P+ (thanks, Advexure!). Upon inspection, it seems the micro SD card slot on the controller is not properly latching/locking on to the card itself. I hear the "click" when I push the card in (contacts facing up) but then it slides right out again. I've tried multiple different cards. Anyone else having this problem?

Could be your card. DJI products since the P4P have been a bit fussy with Micro SDs. If the card is not perfect it will stick in the slot and not click out, or it will just not click. Try a few other cards to be certain.

Have tried 5 different brands of micro SD card and the slot fails to lock on all of them. I'm not excited about the prospect of sending the unit back for such a minor issue. Aside from viewing videos in the field, is there anything else the micro SD card slot on the controller is useful or necessary for?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Controller firmware update are also possible over the air, no?
Not that I'm aware of. A controller update for the P4P+ may include a new image of the Android OS and I don't think they do this OTA. But I'm not certain.

It does indeed suck to have to return the unit over something like that. Maybe a long shot but can you look in there with a light and maybe see what's hung up, and perhaps free it with a tiny jeweler's screwdriver or something?

Maybe this will help: https://www.quora.com/How-is-a-memory-card-held-in-mobile-phones-How-does-the-mechanism-work

and also:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
See if they will send you a new controller and you send them yours back once you get the new one

Thanks for the input all. As far as i can tell, I was able to successfully update the controller firmware over the air. Though, as you point out, smiller, that may not be possible if in the future the update includes a new android OS image.

Controller firmware update are also possible over the air, no?

Correct. I just did the last controller update over the air. You have to go into settings and the check for updates. Of course you need to be connected to WiFi, then download and install the update.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Techcop50
Thanks for the input all. As far as i can tell, I was able to successfully update the controller firmware over the air. Though, as you point out, smiller, that may not be possible if in the future the update includes a new android OS image.

The Android image was included in the last update which I did over the air.... so you're all good.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Android image was included in the last update which I did over the air.... so you're all good.
Thanks for that info. The DJI instructions said to install the firmware via the SD card so that's what I did. I wasn't aware that you could do a full controller update OTA.

Thanks all. Relieved that this slot is not essential, but nevertheless irritated that I would not be able to review footage in the field if I had the need. I initiated a repair/RMA request thru DJI. Apparently I have to wait for them to send me a paper return label in the mail? WTH? No option to print a label myself. Seems especially strange that they do not have the ability to provide one instantly.

Update: I misunderstood one of DJI's famously unclear/ambiguous sentences. RMA was sent to me later in the day via UPS and RC is en route to DJI for repair or replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers