P4P new firmware problem

Reaction score
Today I downloaded the new firmware from DJI.for the P4P. Saturday I had flown the bird and had no problems. Today is very different. The firmware seem to download to 99% and just would not reach 100% complete. I let the download continue after reaching 99% for more than fifteen minutes and nothing changed so I turned her off.
After haveing diner with my daughter I attempted to boot up the bird and she would not connect. What must I do. Need advicep

Olen, hello.
Well part of this problem, which is super common, is that DJI's English instructions are, let's say, Chinglish instructions, at best. I'd guess a degree in English Language out of China isn't quite the same thing as an English degree out of Europe, let's just say.

Your 99% error comes from this:
You start reading the instructions for the upgrade, and following them, plug in your drone, etc., then you come to this little part, around halfway down, where it says that you'd better have previously upgraded your remote, otherwise the drone upgrade will not complete.
Thanks a lot, DJI. Putting Step 1 way the heck down there as an oh, by the way, instead of in front, like most other Step 1's go. [Come to think of it, I actually do speak Chinese. And even in Chinese, 1 comes before 2, usually. Go figure.]

So yes, you should have previously upgraded your remote software before you started upgrading your drone, silly. Everybody knows, you have to read everything down to the bottom before you start anything with DJI, right? Right... :)

No big deal. Just reboot your drone, and reboot your remote. After a couple times of disastrous things happening, mainly in the remote side - for instance, the usually green LED on the remote starts blinking all kinds of colors, signifying bad lightbridge (HD) signal, gimbal stutter, all that stuff... just ignore it all (don't post about it yet) and wait until one reboot suddenly realizes that your remote hasn't updated yet. It will ask you to do two things - one is to update your No Fly Zone databases, and the second will be to update your remote.

So update your remote controller, and then both of them (remote and drone) will be updated. Had you done your remote controller before your drone, that last 1% of the drone update was actually checking to see if the remote was updated. It wasn't, so your drone update program hung up at 99%, waiting to hear from the remote.

After both are updated, just reboot until everything clears up. No need to re-connect in my case (I've done two P4P upgrades thus far), and eventually the HD issue clears up with the upgrade and the remote light goes back to green again.

Now you just have the regular upgrade issues (no more smart RTH, display lags, loss of signal happens closer than before) the rest of us are now having!

If/when you want to downgrade again, you should do it with your computer direct to the drone and remote, using the Assist program.

Since you've already had to check in with DJI for this upgrade, running the downgrade should restore full functionality and range as before. You'll still get the UPGRADE NOW!!! warning, but I think that DJI really shouldn't be stupid enough to re-brick your drone because you didn't attempt the upgrade. Lord knows, it already recorded everything else about your drone already, so it should know that you already upgraded, took the blue pill, and spat it out again.

I mean, they already have our information, what more do they need?

DJI, how about giving us a fully functional drone, like we paid for? Without all this nonsense?

LOL!!!

Last edited:
After the new upgrade,
V 01.04.0602 my Phantom 4 pro almost destroyed the connection between the drone and the RC.
The RC disconnects almost every time I press something in IPAD Air DJI Go 4 app, even during flight when I press camera settings etc!
I upgraded again the drone through DJI Assistance but nothing happened.
I relinked the RC many times, still the problem exists.
The RC light is green during disconnection and I can control manually the drone but in the app there is nothing, blank screen saying disconnected!!!

I think DJI messed up with this new firmware!
RC firmware 01.04.01.00
Any ideas?
Litchi don't work either.

Mindflights, hello!
Chris here.
Yeah, I have an idea. Downgrade and wait for the geniuses at DJI to get themselves sorted out.

If they insist on going Step 2, Step 1, Step 3
Then maybe their second version of this upgrade (which should have been our first) will work?

That's what I'm getting from a lot of local and other online users:
We've done what DJI insisted we do.
We've messed our drones up according to their instruction.
Now we go backwards, after having wasted a bunch of time and frustration
And see what our actions as a class might be as a consequence of this.
I know DJI is going to be judged, and fairly harshly, for this kind of damaging behavior to its customers.

I'm way, way beyond upset.
I use these guys almost 7 days a week to pay my rent and bills with.

And more, it just opens up the way for DJI's competitors to step in.
Ah, it's tough at the top. And lonely...

Reactions: picky
Mindflights, hello!
Chris here.
Yeah, I have an idea. Downgrade and wait for the geniuses at DJI to get themselves sorted out.

Then maybe their second version of this upgrade (which should have been our first) will work?

I know DJI is going to be judged, and fairly harshly, for this kind of damaging behavior to its customers.

Hi Chris you make good comments about this latest firmware upgrade. After the upgrade the gimbal was very noisy and vibrating. It also got very hot. other issues with the RC making me revert back to the previous firmware, I have read that some pilots had issues from the update with their gimbal and have sent their drone back to DJI for repair.

Mindflights, hello!
Chris here.

Well I noticed that the magor problems are in IOS (IPAD Air), so after one day of upgrades and downgrades... I downgraded both the RC and P4P to the first firmware (January 2017!) and I started the upgrade again through an android device, I open the dji go 4, and I enter the device to download the RC firmware first, I upgraded and then restarted everything and upgrade drone too... then I format the IPAD air, reinstall the go 4 app and connected and magically it works! Litchi too after an initial decoder error... and a couple of reboots of the Drone!

a big mess

Olen, hello.
Well part of this problem, which is super common, is that DJI's English instructions are, let's say, Chinglish instructions, at best. I'd guess a degree in English Language out of China isn't quite the same thing as an English degree out of Europe, let's just say.

You start reading the instructions for the upgrade, and following them, plug in your drone, etc., then you come to this little part, around halfway down, where it says that you'd better have previously upgraded your remote, otherwise the drone upgrade will not complete.
Thanks a lot, DJI. Putting Step 1 way the heck down there as an oh, by the way, instead of in front, like most other Step 1's go. [Come to think of it, I actually do speak Chinese. And even in Chinese, 1 comes before 2, usually. Go figure.]

So yes, you should have previously upgraded your remote software before you started upgrading your drone, silly. Everybody knows, you have to read everything down to the bottom before you start anything with DJI, right? Right... :)

No big deal. Just reboot your drone, and reboot your remote. After a couple times of disastrous things happening, mainly in the remote side - for instance, the usually green LED on the remote starts blinking all kinds of colors, signifying bad lightbridge (HD) signal, gimbal stutter, all that stuff... just ignore it all (don't post about it yet) and wait until one reboot suddenly realizes that your remote hasn't updated yet. It will ask you to do two things - one is to update your No Fly Zone databases, and the second will be to update your remote.

So update your remote controller, and then both of them (remote and drone) will be updated. Had you done your remote controller before your drone, that last 1% of the drone update was actually checking to see if the remote was updated. It wasn't, so your drone update program hung up at 99%, waiting to hear from the remote.

After both are updated, just reboot until everything clears up. No need to re-connect in my case (I've done two P4P upgrades thus far), and eventually the HD issue clears up with the upgrade and the remote light goes back to green again.

Now you just have the regular upgrade issues (no more smart RTH, display lags, loss of signal happens closer than before) the rest of us are now having!

If/when you want to downgrade again, you should do it with your computer direct to the drone and remote, using the Assist program.

Since you've already had to check in with DJI for this upgrade, running the downgrade should restore full functionality and range as before. You'll still get the UPGRADE NOW!!! warning, but I think that DJI really shouldn't be stupid enough to re-brick your drone because you didn't attempt the upgrade. Lord knows, it already recorded everything else about your drone already, so it should know that you already upgraded, took the blue pill, and spat it out again.

DJI, how about giving us a fully functional drone, like we paid for? Without all this nonsense?

LOL!!!

Olen, hello.

LOL!!!

Couldn't agree more. At best now, no smart RTH toggle and simply poor video feed.

I would add another part of the problem:
I don't believe there is any accountability at DJI- in most places, such a disastrous release with new problems would force a reckoning for the project manager who authorized this to be released without enough (any) QA. At DJI, it just seems like their way of doing business. So it repeats.

You were right on. Last night as I tried your solution I began to think it would not work; however I stayed with turning off and on again about a dozen times before giving up. This morning I tried again and everything just as you explained popped up. All OK. If you lived in Texas I would buy you a steak dinner..

Many thanks for your kind words, Olen. If I were in Texas I'd gladly accept - then return the favor!
Best
Chris

just got e mail from dji that my controller is being returned to me.
so in a few days I will be able to post up on here how much trouble I am having with firmware upgrade.

Reactions: RonHarper
just got e mail from dji that my controller is being returned to me.
so in a few days I will be able to post up on here how much trouble I am having with firmware upgrade.
And bad live video feed and no smart RTH toggle.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20