P4P, Mavic or stay with P4

Reaction score
Seems lots of complaints about the P4P, or maybe I have it wrong. The specs indicate I should upgrade to the P4P but I'm not so sure given the comments on this forum. Upgrade or stay with the P4?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi Seawolf

I have the P4 but picked up a gimbal issue and decided to get the P4P as well. Obviously the camera is better but I find it more stable as well, especially in windy conditions

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Seems lots of complaints about the P4P, or maybe I have it wrong. The specs indicate I should upgrade to the P4P but I'm not so sure given the comments on this forum. Upgrade or stay with the P4?

Your question needs some background. What would you be doing with a new drone?

Lots of people are happy with P4P, the camera rocks. It really depends on your needs. For the hobbyist the P4 can be perfectly acceptable. Your family won't notice much difference if you're taking 1080 video and occasional photos, like many hobbyists. It's like a point and shoot camera versus a DSLR, both take great photos, but on real close inspection there's no comparison to a DSLR for the discriminating photographer. For commercial use the camera upgrade of the P4P is a slam dunk if the customers want better image quality.

FYI, There is a bug in the P4 IMU calibration, but I hear that's being addressed real soon with a firmware update.

Reactions: hotashes
Had the P4 as I like photography and it was brilliantly good at being a drone and taking photos, decided I wanted better quality photo and the p4p arrived and had to have it, had some hiccups with a few things like the IMU and high wind warnings when there isn't any wind but all in all I am very glad I made the leap, with just the few photos I have managed to take and how the bird flys and the new in app modes like tripod make it a great bit of kit, once the firmware has been sorted which I think will be in a few days, this bird will rock!

There is also this for the p4p

Vertical: ±0.1 m (With Vision Positioning); ±0.5 m (With GPS Positioning)
Horizontal: ±0.3 m (With Vision Positioning); ±1.5 m (With GPS Positioning)

I've had the reg P4 for 8 1/2 months now. I thought it was just an exceptional smooth bird! But wow! This new P4P that I just got on Tues is so much better! It's like a rock! The added 10mph in P Mode is so great! The 1080 video signal is aweome now! Full screen playback of video on card is very cool. I had no issues at all setting mine up Tues night. I had no indications to do an IMU calibrate so you don't do it they say. All I did was update firmware and I flew it on Wed. It was perfect! I would highly recommend the new P4P if image quality is important to you.

Seems lots of complaints about the P4P, or maybe I have it wrong.
There are always some complaints about everything.
Some are due to misunderstandings and a few may be genuine problems that may or may not affect other drones.
The important thing to consider is how many valid complaints are there and what proportion of owners are having these issues.
My P4pro is just great as are most of them out there.
DJI have really kicked some goals lately.
I saw my first Mavic yesterday - what an incredible machine that is, and the Inspire II is also exceptional.

All great inputs. I'm reluctant to add a P4P based on specs alone. I'd like to know if it is as advertised and generally showing an improvement in imagine quality and dynamic range over the P4. My P4 has been a great performer. However portability of the Mavic would be great in a backpack with a dslr. Even the inspire 2 sounds gooddue to its camera. Ultimately I'm looking for the best image quality across a wide dynamic range with a highly reliable machine, small and quiet.

I'm reluctant to add a P4P based on specs alone. I'd like to know if it is as advertised and generally showing an improvement in imagine quality and dynamic range over the P4.
I've flown a few flights today to test more of the P4pro and so far mine is matching everything the specs promised.
Image quality is outstanding and requiring very little work in Photoshop to get the best out of it.
Here are a few sample images taken on my first couple of flights: P4 pro Sample Images - Above & Beyond Photography
Lots of dynamic range which was a problem for me before. Great detail and I like the slightly narrower FOV
However portability of the Mavic would be great in a backpack with a dslr. Even the inspire 2 sounds good due to its camera. Ultimately I'm looking for the best image quality across a wide dynamic range with a highly reliable machine, small and quiet.
The Mavic's portability is great but the picture quality is going to be back at P3/P4 level.
The X4S camera on the Inspire II is identical to the camera on the P4pro.
You can pay a lot more and go up to the X5S but you also pay a hefty price in lost portability.

I've been doing professional photography work since the early 90's. Picked up my first drone almost a year ago (P3 Advanced). Shooting stills from it was good, but not great in regards to quality wise. But it did the job. I was always tempted to get the Inspire w/ the Zenmuse X5. But price and portability held me off. Once the P4P was announced, it was a no brainer to upgraded from my P3A. The past week I've been doing comparison tests a long side the P3A and the P4P sensor / image quality is ALOT better. Really impressive in low light. And the ability to control your F-Stops is so great to have. Video signal appears to be a lot clearer too. I do plan on getting the Mavic just for fun. But for now, the P4P is my 'Go To' drone.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Great assessment and appreciate the inputs. I agree the P4P would be an excellent choice for higher end photography and video. The Mavic is ideal for portability. Likely will get both.

Great assessment and appreciate the inputs. I agree the P4P would be an excellent choice for higher end photography and video. The Mavic is ideal for portability. Likely will get both.

Exactly what I did!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj