P4P maiden flight, didn't crash

uke

Reaction score
On my intro I said I had ordered a P4A, but I canceled that and now have a P4P. Took it up yesterday after the standard firmware update ritual, and must say I'm impressed.

So much better than all my homegrown drones of the past. Absolutely solid camera platform, no jello, beautiful camera. I can let go of the controls and it just... sticks there. No careening out of control. I had it in beginner mode just to be safe, but the thing is so easy to fly I expect then next flight will be in regular P.

I did have one noobie adrenaline moment when I initiated the RTH land (the icon with the arrow pointing down into a circle with an H). The aircraft was up about 11 meters, and getting blown around a bit, and when it started down it looked like it was heading for DJI Destruction on some Debris. I hit the red X to cancel the mode, and IT DIDN't CANCEL! Yikes! I kept hitting the stupid button until it disappeared and still the drone headed to its doom. In desperation, while I used the left stick to try and keep it up, I looked closer at the display (a bit difficult in the sunlight, no?) and saw I had to respond to a (very dim) confirmation dialog. Do you really want to cancel this?

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, YES. I canceled and all was well.

So now I have a question. I apologize in advance because I have not done a search of the forum, but quickly, is there a way to kill any mode without having to answer dialogs (as you are frantically twiddling the sticks to keep the drone alive)? Some setting someplace? If I am in an emergency situation I don't want to screw around, I want immediate response. I'm using IOS.

Thanks!

First off, congrats on the P4P! The reason your RTH was just landing instead of actually returning home is because you were within 20 meters of the home point. If you were outside the 20 meter radius it would have ascended to the RTH height, come back to the home point and landed. There are several ways to cancel RTH, 1. Hold down the RTH button to cancel, 2. Flip the mode switch from P to A and then back to P, 3. Cancel it on-screen in the app.

Reactions: uke
is there a way to kill any mode without having to answer dialogs (as you are frantically twiddling the sticks to keep the drone alive)?
No.

Next time, press the RTH button on the remote controller to cancel RTH. It'll cancel it immediately without having to confirm the action within DJI GO.

First off, congrats on the P4P! The reason your RTH was just landing instead of actually returning home is because you were within 20 meters of the home point. If you were outside the 20 meter radius it would have ascended to the RTH height, come back to the home point and landed. There are several ways to cancel RTH, 1. Hold down the RTH button to cancel, 2. Flip the mode switch from P to A and then back to P, 3. Cancel it on-screen in the app.

Thank you. Forum Awesomeness coming through!

No.

Next time, press the RTH button on the remote controller to cancel RTH. It'll cancel it immediately without having to confirm the action within DJI GO.

Thanks! Just a press, or press & hold?

Just press it. You need to press and hold it to initiate RTH.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4