P4P GPS dropouts? (Like Mavic Pro)

Reaction score
The Mavic Pro has a rep for randomly losing GPS and going into ATTI mode. This might last a second or two but some people have seen long durations of no GPS. Interference on board? Some jammer? Poor GPS integration?

Obviously, GPS, once acquired, should never drop out at all - ever - for a flying drone in open sky unless there is a jammer nearby.

Have there been similar issues with the P4P?

The Mavic Pro has a rep for randomly losing GPS and going into ATTI mode.
Mine doesn't do this. Got more information to show this is the usual behavior for the average Mavic?

The Mavic Pro has a rep for randomly losing GPS and going into ATTI mode. This might last a second or two but some people have seen long durations of no GPS. Interference on board? Some jammer? Poor GPS integration?

Obviously, GPS, once acquired, should never drop out at all - ever - for a flying drone in open sky unless there is a jammer nearby.

Myself and another person here have had frequent GPS disconnect and neither if know why. I called DJI recently and tech rep (I'm sorry to be blunt, but was useless) DJI told me to download latest GO App and it will fix the problem. It made it worse and now can't get GPS at all and constant in ATTI mode. Both of us sent into repair this week. Hoping for the best. Beware of latest GO App. Released 3/15

BTW my issue was with my P4P as well.

Mine doesn't do this. Got more information to show this is the usual behavior for the average Mavic?

I never said "usual". It does come up a lot.

You're a member of the MP group too so I assume you've seen the various posts. I just want to know if the Phantoms have a similar tendency or behaviour.

I've had a couple, at most, in flight GPS dropouts, that were very brief with the MP.

Yet Mavic Pro reports of in-flight switching to ATTI are fairly common in that group.

Last edited:
Myself and another person here have had frequent GPS disconnect and neither if know why. I called DJI recently and tech rep (I'm sorry to be blunt, but was useless) DJI told me to download latest GO App and it will fix the problem. It made it worse and now can't get GPS at all and constant in ATTI mode. Both of us sent into repair this week. Hoping for the best. Beware of latest GO App. Released 3/15

Sounds like a h/w issue more than the App (which shouldn't have anything at all to do with the on board GPS behaviour unless it's commanding ATTI somehow?).

It's possible that some dropouts in the US are due to the prevalence of illegal GPS jammers used principally by truckers resentful of employers who track them. The US government has cracked down on importers and sellers of such - and a few truckers have been fined - but there are a lot of them out there. The range of such jammers is quite small - but in open skies they could confuse a GPS receiver to some distance... (500m?).

Never knew about the jammers. I have not had GPS dropouts in flight with my Phantom 4 Pro but instead before takeoff. It used to be just in a few areas but now after the new update I did it won't even calibrate now. So I had to send it in

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl