P4P+ Controller Memory ?

Reaction score
Trying to understand the storage of data / recordings on the P4P+. My micro sd card was still in the bird, and it was turned off. The RC was on and was not connected to the bird and I do not have a micro sd card on the controller. I selected the "album" on the controller and I have access to low res copies of the video recordings. I pulled the card from the bird and installed into the RC and the original high res files were available to view. playback is very poor on the RC version, but you do have playback.

SO, my questions are :

Why
How much memory is available on the RC
What happens when it runs out
Is it expandable by adding a micro SD to the RC
Do these files remain on the RC even after deleting from the Bird's micro SD card

I am a little confused on the memory / storage on this platform and trying to get a little better understanding... I guess I need to go through the OM and see if I can find anything relating to this.

The manual is pretty useless for the P4P+ remote. I wanted to get about all the different ports on the remote but can't find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Same question. Have a large micro SD in the controller. Yet all videos on internal storage? Thought I could transfer footage from micro SD to computer via micro SD card, but it is blank. Can't find out how to record directly to micro SD in the controller instead of internal memory, OR how to transfer / copy over from internal memory to SD card via remote control apps. As of now all I can do is uploaded to social media from internal storage? Any feedback appreciated.

Same question. Have a large micro SD in the controller. Yet all videos on internal storage? Thought I could transfer footage from micro SD to computer via micro SD card, but it is blank. Can't find out how to record directly to micro SD in the controller instead of internal memory, OR how to transfer / copy over from internal memory to SD card via remote control apps. As of now all I can do is uploaded to social media from internal storage? Any feedback appreciated.

The bandwidth of the Lightbridge connection between controller and the bird is NOT going to allow one to write 'usable' video or stills to the controller. My controller's cache was set at 2G for internal cache. That gives me enough to quickly review images/videos for basic composition and content for a good bit of flying. I do not think the intent was anything other than to provide a quick 'look' at what has recently been shot.

With that in mind, a large micro SD is going to probably create more problems that it would solve IF one were to get it to store the cached videos and images. I understand that the cached videos and images are from the downlink and are NOT derived from the actual full resolution captures being done on the bird's micro SD.

So, if your client was over your shoulder and you wanted to show them a shot, you could quickly show them the cached video, but if there was any interference you might get some connection related stuttering and such.

That's the way I understand it. I think DJI did the right thing by keeping the cache fairly small and INTERNAL to avoid any potential screwup in the event that non-bird low resolution footage were to ever make it to a client. Clients are not up to speed on technical things. Giving them a micro SD card with low resolution downlink footage would inevitably lead to that footage being used, tarnishing the reputation of the pilot/photographer in the process.

A rather late reply - new to drone with a P4P+ and I'm beginning tho think that the controller+SD card are a bit of a waste of time because you don't seem to be able to use the Controllers SD card for anything, let alone sensible or useful things like holding maps, and local pics videos etc. and keeping the actual system 'clean'

Or am I / we missing something on this, least of which is any useful documentaion on this, or where the GO App pilots handbook shows options e.g. use SD storage which are not displayed on current versions of the app?

Only thing I use the controller slot for is to carry a spare memory card

That seems to be about it , unless any DJI gurus would like to explain what and how it can be used for?
At least with a phone/tablet you can normally set things to default pictures, saved maps etc to SD rather device's own storage. It seem like DJI have forlorn / wasted such a useful approach?
What a waste of hardware, Grump!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers