P4P Compass Calibration Keeps Failing

Reaction score
I've flown a P2 Vision + for one year and P3 Pro for a year and a half, and now I just purchased a P4 Pro. I flew it twice and all went well - calibrations and all. Today I tired two areas where I've flown in the past and I was seeing a compass error and then could not get the compass to calibrate. One shows green and the other shows red. Not really sure how to proceed. I was away from all metal, no phone in my pocket, and in areas where I've flown my P3P often.

Update: Tried to calibrate again at home - outside in lawn away from all metal. This time I took the keys and small multi tool out of my pocket and seemed to calibrate just fine. With the 2Vision+ and the P3P I never needed to do that. Maybe the P4P compasses are more sensitive? Dark now so will try to fly tomorrow and see if errors are gone.

Last edited:
I've flown a P2 Vision + for one year and P3 Pro for a year and a half, and now I just purchased a P4 Pro. I flew it twice and all went well - calibrations and all. Today I tired two areas where I've flown in the past and I was seeing a compass error and then could not get the compass to calibrate. One shows green and the other shows red. Not really sure how to proceed. I was away from all metal, no phone in my pocket, and in areas where I've flown my P3P often.

Update: Tried to calibrate again at home - outside in lawn away from all metal. This time I took the keys and small multi tool out of my pocket and seemed to calibrate just fine. With the 2Vision+ and the P3P I never needed to do that. Maybe the P4P compasses are more sensitive? Dark now so will try to fly tomorrow and see if errors are gone.

Couldn't fly yesterday due to weather. Went to an open soccer field and all went well. Then drove over to the first location where I had compass problems. This is a large construction site and I noticed there was a new large stockpile of big pipes I hadn't noticed before. Maybe these caused the magnetic interference. I took off farther away from these and all went well. I believe I had compounded my problem by attempting to recalibrate the compass near these pipes. As ha been advised on the forum many times - if compass calibration is good don't redo it unless 100+ miles away.

Some folks have reported magnetic interference from watches, cell phone, even keys (during calibration). Worth a try.

I believe I had compounded my problem by attempting to recalibrate the compass near these pipes.
As ha been advised on the forum many times - if compass calibration is good don't redo it unless 100+ miles away.
If you've come across from an earlier Phantom take note of the new compass calibration advice on p57 of the manual.
i-Q9CJx8r-M.jpg

Thanks Meta4 for the reminder. I also noticed when I was inspecting my P4P after a flight, using a bright led flashlight, that the compass calibration was required from the software. The flashlight had a magnetic clip on it - must have been too close to one of the compasses. I took it out to a location free from metal objects, no cell phone, no keys, and it calibrated perfectly. The P4P is different from my previous Phantoms and am learning it's distinct requirements. Thanks again.

Ron

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20