P4P anomalies and observations

Reaction score
I finally bought a P4P last weekend, my 5th DJI craft. It's great, everything seems to work fairly well. I wanted to get it before that new app is released, requiring registration, which seems fishy to me.

I thought I would mention some interesting differences I've notice over the past 6 flights, versus my P4, other than the obvious.

1. I noticed the idle speed of the motors while on the ground is slower than P4, which I deem much more appropriate. Nice. This helps in windy conditions which threaten to flip the craft during motor startup. The craft still revs up twice upon starting the motors, but why???? I don't know why since the prop clip on now, but the idle speed is definitely slower just sitting on the ground at an idle. I wish it didn't rev up, seems useless, and it garners attention if anyone is nearby.

2. The Go4 app doesn't support 2X zoom while shooting 1080 video. I miss that. It comes in very handy when shooting animals from above, or seeing things closer that are out of reach, behind a building or mountain where you can't fly, risking losing signal. What's up with that shortcoming that I've grown to enjoy? Is it really that difficult to support with the larger sensor?

3. Vivid color setting is gone. Don't hammer me on that, I know all of you professionals claim it's over saturated, but IMHO it's perfect to minimize editing, requiring no grading steps. To me, Vivid saturation is very close to how most movie producers, especially on TV, adjust color to POP on the screen. I really like Vivid, but it's gone from P4P, and my Mavic. I end up having to adjust color with custom settings, but it's still not as good. :(

4. The range of a stock RC with P4P is WAY WAY better than my P4 with stock RC. Many of you know I'm not a fan of the GL300C P4 controller from my testing, and field experiences, compared to P3P. However, P4P on 5.8Ghz rocks, contrary to most beliefs that 5.8 doesn't have as much range as 2.4Ghz. It's unexplainable, but 5.8Ghz just works really well on Auto, and it works better than 2.4Ghz. Go figure.

Last edited:
Good observations Tom! Hey is'nt the true color setting the same as what Vivid was? I have been using D-Cinelike and love it. It's slightly dull out of the box but pulls in real nice with Premier!

It revs the motors to throw off a poorly attached prop while the craft is still on the ground.

I could have sworn mine has Vivid.... I'll have to check. But, as above, you might also like True Color if you want good saturation and colors that pop.

Good observations Tom! Hey is'nt the true color setting the same as what Vivid was? I have been using D-Cinelike and love it. It's slightly dull out of the box but pulls in real nice with Premier!
Yes, I do use true color but it's not quite as good IMO. I have to adjust custom settings further to get closer to the vivid results that I'm use to. I hope DJI brings VIVID back someday.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Yes, I do use true color but it's not quite as good IMO. I have to adjust custom settings further to get closer to the vivid results that I'm use to. I hope DJI brings VIVID back someday.
Gotcha buddy! My main wish is to fix the slight gimble twitch and occasional hard flop of it too while in a sharp turn. Plus fix the horizon.

I finally bought a P4P last weekend, my 5th DJI craft. It's great, everything seems to work fairly well. I wanted to get it before that new app is released, requiring registration, which seems fishy to me.

I thought I would mention some interesting differences I've notice over the past 6 flights, versus my P4, other than the obvious.

1. I noticed the idle speed of the motors while on the ground is slower than P4, which I deem much more appropriate. Nice. This helps in windy conditions which threaten to flip the craft during motor startup. The craft still revs up twice upon starting the motors, but why???? I don't know why since the prop clip on now, but the idle speed is definitely slower just sitting on the ground at an idle. I wish it didn't rev up, seems useless, and it garners attention if anyone is nearby.

2. The Go4 app doesn't support 2X zoom while shooting 1080 video. I miss that. It comes in very handy when shooting animals from above, or seeing things closer that are out of reach, behind a building or mountain where you can't fly, risking losing signal. What's up with that shortcoming that I've grown to enjoy? Is it really that difficult to support with the larger sensor?

3. Vivid color setting is gone. Don't hammer me on that, I know all of you professionals claim it's over saturated, but IMHO it's perfect to minimize editing, requiring no grading steps. To me, Vivid saturation is very close to how most movie producers, especially on TV, adjust color to POP on the screen. I really like Vivid, but it's gone from P4P, and my Mavic. I end up having to adjust color with custom settings, but it's still not as good. :(

4. The range of a stock RC with P4P is WAY WAY better than my P4 with stock RC. Many of you know I'm not a fan of the GL300C P4 controller from my testing, and field experiences, compared to P3P. However, P4P on 5.8Ghz rocks, contrary to most beliefs that 5.8 doesn't have as much range as 2.4Ghz. It's unexplainable, but 5.8Ghz just works on Auto, and it works better than 2.4Ghz. Go figure.
John, have I been missing something? Does my P4 with Go4 app support 2x zoom? Thanks.

John, have I been missing something? Does my P4 with Go4 app support 2x zoom? Thanks.
I don't think I ever did use that with my P4's that I had last year Crack The Sky. I have seen that it had it but I just never ever thought to use it. LOL

Yes it should. When shooting in 1080, with two fingers, touch the screen, then spread and pinch on the screen to zoom in and out. I use iOS, but I think it's now supported in Android too. It's a lossless zoom, so the video quality is good, you'll see no degradation when zoomed in 2X. However, if you zoom slow, it's jerky. I will typically zoom fast all the way to 2X, so it doesn't show the other 1.2, 1.5 increments steps between. I use it all the time to see things closer while flying, a great feature.

Funny, this has been an undocumented feature (I think) for over a year with iOS.

Gotcha buddy! My main wish is to fix the slight gimble twitch and occasional hard flop of it too while in a sharp turn. Plus fix the horizon.
Those are the things I looked for in my first flights. I was able to get the gimbal to flip once, high speed left turn. I couldn't get it to do it again though. I have no gimble twitches yet. I think I got a good one.

Hey John, just for the record if you have litchi, you can get your vivid setting back as a work around for using it in Go.
Don't know if you use or like Litchi, but it is good for a lot of the camera settings. Once set with litchi, you can go back to Go and the settings will be there until you change them in Go, then you would have to use litchi again to set the vivid back.

Hey John, just for the record if you have litchi, you can get your vivid setting back as a work around for using it in Go.
Don't know if you use or like Litchi, but it is good for a lot of the camera settings. Once set with litchi, you can go back to Go and the settings will be there until you change them in Go, then you would have to use litchi again to set the vivid back.
Hey, thanks for the tip. I never thought of that. I do have Litchi, but only use it for autonomous flights, not that often. I'll give that a try, thanks.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I never thought of that. I do have Litchi, but only use it for autonomous flights, not that often. I'll give that a try, thanks.
Sure anytime, I to prefer the vivid as well for many of my shots.
The cool thing is that camera settings remain in the aircraft and not the apps themselves. Once set with litchi, it will show up in Go as still normal auto, however it will be in vivid. There are a couple of YT vids on it.
That's how I stumbled across that method.
I use it on both my Mav and P4.
Be sure to close litchi once you set it to vivid, then open Go.
Enjoy.

Last edited:
Here is one of the vids.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan